PDA

View Full Version : Not Ready For Publishing Yet

honeycomb
12-14-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi All,

This is a broad and stupid question, but I just got a reject from an agent on my wish list. What does "not ready for publishing yet" mean?

There was nothing else in the letter, except that the story has a "good premise," and to "keep writing."

Toothpaste
12-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Hmm . . .seems like a form letter to me. I wouldn't read anything more into it than simply "we're not interested". Until you get specifics, it just means no.

Sorry about the rejection though! At times like these remember the old Galaxy Quest mantra: "Never give up! Never surrender!"

ishtar'sgate
12-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Pretty vague. With regard to the piece, it could mean anything from too many typos or spelling and grammar mistakes to needing a fair bit of tightening. Or they could mean that they like the idea but they think you need to practice your craft a bit more. It's awful hard to know so I'd wait and see what other agents have to say and then go from there. Good luck.
Linnea

Cath
12-14-2007, 06:25 AM
It probably means they think it needs another revision or two to get it to a stage where it is ready for publishing.

honeycomb
12-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks. Believe it or not, the agent is allowing a resubmit so I'm looking for an editor. I saw that AW has a service, but the email link is broken.

joyce
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Sorry about the rejection but if they want you to resubmit, that's great! It sounds like something sparked their interest or they would not be interested in seeing it again. Good luck and I hope this leads to representation.

jamiehall
12-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Wanting you to revise and resubmit is very good news!

:hooray:

waylander
12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Asked to resubmit is good.
Obvious question: how many beta readers have seen it?

KTC
12-14-2007, 03:21 PM
That's excellent news that you were asked to resubmit...pretty vague way of telling you though? I think they are suggesting you revise, revise, revise. The door is open, time for a rehaul. Congrats.

Bartholomew
12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi All,

This is a broad and stupid question, but I just got a reject from an agent on my wish list. What does "not ready for publishing yet" mean?

There was nothing else in the letter, except that the story has a "good premise," and to "keep writing."

That doesn't sound like any form letter I've gotten, and I have a whole pile. Was it typed?

honeycomb
12-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Asked to resubmit is good.
Obvious question: how many beta readers have seen it?

Waylander,
I have one looking at it now. Says she can't put it down. But prior to submission I did not have anyone read it.

honeycomb
12-15-2007, 06:54 AM
That doesn't sound like any form letter I've gotten, and I have a whole pile. Was it typed?

Hi Bartholomew,

It was typed. Is that a good sign?

Bartholomew
12-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi Bartholomew,

It was typed. Is that a good sign?

Well, rejections are ALL typed.

What I meant was-- was this comment typed? Or was it added in handwriting?

Occasionally I receive form rejections with helpful comments, encouragement, (and one time a funny joke that related to my MS) hand-written somewhere on the rejection. This just struck me as someone someone might tack onto a form rejection in such a manner.

But in all likelyhood, it is probably just a form letter I haven't seen yet.

In either case, it's an excellent sign. It means you have a completed MS and that you're actively attempting to get it published--which is a damn sight farther than a lot of writers ever get.