Leave me alone - I'm reading!!!

Reaction score
Already mentioned this in the Stupid Things Non-Writers Say thread, but decided it deserved its own.

At my shitty little job I work a seven-hour day which is technically six hours long, as I have a break for one hour which I take slap bang in the middle to break my day up into even halves.

And I eat my sammiches and read my book.

Or at least, I try to.

Because someone always, always, always, inevitably comes out with something like, "What are you reading now?" or, "You're always reading!" or, "You're anti-social; you've always got your nose in a book!"

To which I want to reply, "No I'm not, because you're interrupting me," or "Well, I'm always trying to," or "I prefer reading, to talking to dimwitted oafs like you."

And there are some right annoying swines who approach me and actually move the book while I'm reading it, to see the cover!!!

Now, there are some very very good people at this place of work. Don't get me wrong. There are some shitheads there; I've moaned about them in one of my many "I hate my job!" threads. But there are a select few people with whom I've swapped numbers, and want to keep in touch with after my contract ends in three glorious weeks, because I like them. I won't name them for reasons of privacy, but there's the make-up counter girl who coloured in my face for me the other week. The noisy girl from childrenswear who never shuts up. The bloke on menswear who keeps making sexual innuendos about my arse (don't worry davids; I told him keep off!!!). The guy from the loading bay who spent some time trying to put a smile on my face today when I burst into tears. God bless 'em all.

But. Here's the thing.

No matter how much I like you; no matter who you are, when I am reading, I want the whole world to f*** off.

Honestly. If I was deep into Gone With the Wind and Joaquin Phoenix burst into the room wearing nothing but a smile, carrying a job lot of prophylactics, I'd be hard pushed to tear myself away from Scarlett and Rhett.

Well, okay, I'd compromise. I'd ask if he minded if I read over his shoulder... ;)

But my point is this.

I know it seems rude to other people who aren't bookworms that I spend my lunch hour curled up in a corner of the canteen, nose in the pages of Michio Kaku or Eric Ives, but...this is my time. I prefer books to people. Okay, I prefer most books to most people. And it might seem rude to them, but in turn, it seems rude to me that people consistently try to interrupt me when I'm otherwise occupied. It's as if they think reading is a default activity; something you only do when you can't find anything better.

I've even had people in other walks of life take pity on me when I'm sitting on my own, say, "Aww, come and sit with us. You can't sit on your own!" Uh...why not? Maybe I want to. Maybe I'm not on my own - I have a book.

And I don't get why it happens. As I mentioned in an email to a male friend last night, I've been accused by a girlfriend of having stand-offish body language with the opposite sex, so they're too scared to approach me in a bar or club (which doesn't bother me anyway; Dundee is stuffed full of chavs and I wouldn't touch a Scottish bloke with a ten-foot pole).

So why does this happen at work? In everyday, normal, just-going-about-my-business life? Why do men in pubs turn tail and hide, leaving the faint smell of fear and urine in my nostrils, but they find it all of a sudden possible to piss me off to the point of pre-menstrual ire, when I'm sat in the staff canteen, clearly not up for a conversation? Not just men, but women too?

WHY???

Why, when I most want it to kick in, does my noli me tangere aura desert me?

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
What's a chav? Seriously, it's a cool word and I don't know what it means.

p.s. As a bookworm/nerd I suspect it's at least partly because reading something in one's hand other than a text message has become a totally foreign occupation to so many people. I honestly think it weirds some non-readers out. Why they feel free to be rude about it is beyond me, maybe to relieve their own discomfort at being non-readers. No idea really. I haven't had the harassment ever, though, that you have. People have always just left me alone to read.

Last edited:

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Okay Scarlett, I know you're not real fond of me, which is a shame because I really love your posts, but you answered your own question. You give off awful vibes in your quest for alone time, and you scare people because of it. From a guys perspective we love to meet girls who seem shy so that we can charm the pants off you with our personalities, (please, just an expression). Your love of reading is actually very admirable but people don't respect your privacy because they take it for someone who is hiding behind a book. They bother you because they probably feel sorry for you. You are taking offense because you're actually very outgoing when you want to be and I might add from reading your stuff that you seem strong willed, and a bit opinunated (spelled wrong, spell check broke but you get the point) Now actually i mean all those things as a compliment, but i would imagine that the people who bother you don't get a chance to know you well enough to understand your passion for books. May I suggest that you let your hair down a bit and the next time someone asks you what you're reading or interupts you; that you either put the book down and ask if they would like you to tell them about the fasinating read, or simply say thanks for your interest but I'm in the middle of something I just can't put down right now, can we talk later.... WQith a smile on your lovely face... I know you're thinking I'm an idiot and should mind my own business, but I can't help it... Really just trying to help....

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Make yourself a fake bookcover that says:

FA-Murder.jpg

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have this problem all the time. I sometimes stop and look at them with a You-have-got-to-be-f'ing-kidding-me look on my face. They still don't get it. People are rude and stupid. They always will be.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
And to those who oppose...expecting to have silence when you are reading is not anti-social behavior. I'm just as friendly as the next person, but if you see me reading...here's a hint...I will tell you to go to hell if you try to talk to me. BOOK OPEN IN FRONT OF FACE = DON'T TALK. It's common sense. It is not anti-social behavior to want to read. There's a time and a place for everything.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I'm sorry but I don't think people KNOW they are being rude or they wouldn't do it. I had similar experiences in the midlands when I sat with my laptop in the hotel pub/restaurant.

Some times my room was just too confining so I'd go down there. The only people I minded were the blokes who wouldn't stop coming on to me but the rest of the people just thought I looked lonely or to put it like some said, I have an interesting face and they wanted to get to know me.

Sometimes...people are just being nice.

Reaction score
Okay Scarlett, I know you're not real fond of me, which is a shame because I really love your posts, but you answered your own question. You give off awful vibes in your quest for alone time, and you scare people because of it. From a guys perspective we love to meet girls who seem shy so that we can charm the pants off you with our personalities, (please, just an expression). Your love of reading is actually very admirable but people don't respect your privacy because they take it for someone who is hiding behind a book. They bother you because they probably feel sorry for you. You are taking offense because you're actually very outgoing when you want to be and I might add from reading your stuff that you seem strong willed, and a bit opinunated (spelled wrong, spell check broke but you get the point) Now actually i mean all those things as a compliment, but i would imagine that the people who bother you don't get a chance to know you well enough to understand your passion for books. May I suggest that you let your hair down a bit and the next time someone asks you what you're reading or interupts you; that you either put the book down and ask if they would like you to tell them about the fasinating read, or simply say thanks for your interest but I'm in the middle of something I just can't put down right now, can we talk later.... WQith a smile on your lovely face... I know you're thinking I'm an idiot and should mind my own business, but I can't help it... Really just trying to help....

I take your post in the spirit in which it was given; as friendly advice.

However - would I want to be friends with someone who didn't accept I'm a bookworm, always have been, always will be, and that's that?

I doubt it. It's like someone trying to change an inherent part of your personality.

Some things are negotiable. Some things are not.

Make yourself a fake bookcover that says:

FA-Murder.jpg

:D:D:D

I have this problem all the time. I sometimes stop and look at them with a You-have-got-to-be-f'ing-kidding-me look on my face. They still don't get it. People are rude and stupid. They always will be.

God bless you, Kevin the Ch- hey! :rant:

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

People are not 'rude and stupid' just like that, it's how you portray them through your own mind, that creates this perception.

Reaction score
There are some people I'd lay down my life for. And others, I'd lay down a book.

It's the greatest compliment I can think of to say to someone, "I'd rather talk to you than read this book."

The number of people in my life this applies to? I can count on the fingers of one hand.

Reaction score
That's because your making them out to be.

No, it's because they're bastards.

If someone interrupts = rude.
If someone tries to make you do something you don't want to do = rude.
If someone insists on talking to you when you'd rather read a book because they're just so damn boring = rude.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm sorry but I don't think people KNOW they are being rude or they wouldn't do it. I had similar experiences in the midlands when I sat with my laptop in the hotel pub/restaurant.

Some times my room was just too confining so I'd go down there. The only people I minded were the blokes who wouldn't stop coming on to me but the rest of the people just thought I looked lonely or to put it like some said, I have an interesting face and they wanted to get to know me.

Sometimes...people are just being nice.

Nice possibility...but I don't buy it. You don't talk to somebody who is reading or working on their laptop, etc. Everybody should know this. It's a matter of etiquette. It's socially unacceptable and most people who do it know they are being rude. They just don't care.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
No, really. Some people ARE just bastards.
So you expect someone who doesn't know you to already understand you love your books?

Come on now, think about it.

I hardly think that someone who wants to be friendly and chat to you is a bastard. Perhaps the perspective you hold could use some logical reconsideration.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
People are not 'rude and stupid' just like that, it's how you portray them through your own mind, that creates this perception.

No. When people are rude...that is not a perception. It is not me who makes them rude by observing. Sorry...but you're wrong there. They are rude because they are being rude.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So you expect someone who doesn't know you to already understand you love your books?

No. I think she expects people who don't know her to know etiquette and not interrupt her reading.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
No, it's because they're bastards.

If someone interrupts = rude.
If someone tries to make you do something you don't want to do = rude.
If someone insists on talking to you when you'd rather read a book because they're just so damn boring = rude.

That's your own belief, and it goes hand in hand with what I have said. Your holding onto the values you have created for yourself, on how you see people.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Nice possibility...but I don't buy it. You don't talk to somebody who is reading or working on their laptop, etc. Everybody should know this. It's a matter of etiquette. It's socially unacceptable and most people who do it know they are being rude. They just don't care.

That's a bit extreme. I didn't consider anyone rude when they approached me. Well that is until they persisted if I told them I had work to do (them being the drunks hitting on me).

And, what one person holds as socially unacceptable another does not. It goes down to culture. I think this is just extremist thinking really to assume that most people know they are being rude and just don't care.

but then, that's just me. I like to see the good in people and try to be patient with them.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I like to see the good in people and try to be patient with them.

So do I...until they think it's okay to talk to me while I'm holding a book to my face. It's gauche.

Reaction score
Come on, Cass, you know me and my love of hyperbole! ;)

But seriously...what I'm talking about here is someone trying to strike up a conversation when my body language is closed off.

Sometimes I sit in the canteen, make eye contact, smile, do all those polite Earthling things you humanoids do as a way of initiating contact.

And sometimes I sit on the settee, feet curled under me, nose in a book.

And those are the times people approach me! Maybe they feel sorry for me...but you can tell from my online persona that even though I'm different in real life, I still have the capacity to make up my own mind as to what I want to do with my time. So if I wanted to speak, I'm perfectly capable of presenting an open-to-discussion demeanour.

People know I read a lot. They know it. Maybe they don't understand how enjoyable it is to me, but...it's like me approaching someone who's playing pool (there's a table in the canteen) and saying, "Hey! You play pool? Who you playing today? How do you hold that big stick thing? How many of those balls have you got in those little pocket arrangements? Is it good? Are you having fun?"

Ask me about the book later, if you must. But...ack. It's the body language thing. Reverse psychology, I dunno...I never struck myself as the sort of person people take pity on, but that must be part of it, to have them come over and try to rescue me from the 'orrible, nasty book.

Reaction score
No. I think she expects people who don't know her to know etiquette and not interrupt her reading.

Exactly.

Interrupting = rude.

What sort of dolt do you have to be to think interrupting is socially acceptable?

What about interrupting a private conversation? Is that okay? Or is interrupting a reader and her book fine, because hey, a book's not a real person and couldn't possibly be worth anything?