Agent asking for a re-write?

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Has this ever happened to someone else? I have a non-fiction proposal and my agent asked me for a re-write or really a first write of a chapter or two (I think, I can't tell if she wanted the whole proposal or just the chapter re-written). I suppose this is a good sign, it's not a no, but I've never heard of such a thing.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
zeprosnepsid said:
Has this ever happened to someone else? I have a non-fiction proposal and my agent asked me for a re-write
I'm confused. On 2/28 you were asking how to go about finding an agent. Now you sound like you have an agent. Has someone offered to represent you and asked for rewrites? Or is this someone you've queried who asked for rewrites without committing to representation?

- Victoria

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, I went really gung ho into this book thing. First off, my book is non-fiction with a good market and I have some background in my topic so I don't think it's as hard as for fiction writers. So last weekend I wrote a proposal. Then I was absolutely stumped and confused about the agent thing as you recall. But I eventually got past that wall and researched non-stop and I e-mailed a pretty big name agent. She has since responded, asked for my proposal and read my proposal. Pretty lucky, I know. But she hasn't said yes yet so it's not like I'm jumping up and down.

But she asked for re-writes without committing to representation. Although let me clarify (I didn't entirely understand her e-mail at first and asked her to clarify for me). It's not really re-writes exactly. I had not written a sample chapter yet (I included one of my published pieces that was similar) and she really just wants a sample chapter.

So I suppose it's not that unusual? And hopefully also a good sign? But now I have to hope that she likes my writing.

Sorry to have confused you with my intense week of writing and researching!

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
In short, agent wants a

sample chapter of your idea before committing to you.

My dear husband who is a creator of ideas says, "Everyone has ideas, but not everyone can make them happen..." or develop them, etc.

It is up to you now to make yours happen.

Get to it!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It means the agent is interested enough. So I think it's up to you. If you really want representation by this agent, you might want to consider the rewrite, in the hopes that she will take you on. There's always a chance that she looks at the rewrites and still says no. But are you willing to go the extra mile? If you do go ahead, make sure you save your old version... so you can always go back to it.

I think what this agent is saying is, she sees the potentials, but she's not ready to take you on yet. But if you would rewrite the proposal and send it to her again, she will consider it again. So it's not a no. But it's certainly not a yes. The rest is up to you.

And since it's only the proposal, you really don't have much to lose. It's not like she's asking you to rewrite your whole ms.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
zeprosnepsid said:
Although let me clarify (I didn't entirely understand her e-mail at first and asked her to clarify for me). It's not really re-writes exactly. I had not written a sample chapter yet (I included one of my published pieces that was similar) and she really just wants a sample chapter.
OK, so it's not a rewrite at all, but something that should have been part of your original proposal. You'll find that most people will want to see a sample chapter (or two), so this is something you'll have to get done anyway, not just for this agent. Go for it, and good luck.

- Victoria