A little help?

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, you guys seem pretty smart! (Well, some of you, anyway).

So what do you do when you work with someone who smells? As a computer guy at an office filled with scientists and engineers I find myself constantly having to hold my breath as I work on their machines. Personal hygiene apparently is very low their list of priorities. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm almost certain that I can't hold my breath for 8 hours, but I'm almost that desperate. Anyone got a better idea?

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
This one time, my dad opened the chlorine thingy that was a part of our pool filtration system. He accidentally inhaled, deeply, of the chlorine fumes. He spent about nine months unable to smell or taste anything.

I suggest you don't do that, and instead, just be thankful you can smell and taste things.

(How was that for irritatingly virtuous?)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Just walk around exclaiming, "What is that smell? Don't you smell it? It's like toe jam and onions. Is it me?" Then sniff your armpit, make a face, and ask your coworkers to smell you.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
So what do you do when you work with someone who smells?

Do what I do:

Gag and retch and ask loudly, in a panicked voice, "Who the hell died in here?!"

Then stumble around, maybe do a few spins for good effect and collapse.

(P.S. Make sure you collapse near the person you suspect of being the culprit. Eventually, after a few days of this, either other people will catch on and help spread the word about the perpetrator or you'll be fired.

Either way - no more smell.)

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Just walk around exclaiming, "What is that smell? Don't you smell it? It's like toe jam and onions. Is it me?" Then sniff your armpit, make a face, and ask your coworkers to smell you.

An excellent suggestion, Siddow. Unfortunately in these dark days of political correctness I believe asking a coworker to smell you, however innocent or noble the motivation may be, is an actionable offense.

Cut off their nose?

That's how I lost my last job.

Do what I do:

Gag and retch and ask loudly, in a panicked voice, "Who the hell died in here?!"

Then stumble around, maybe do a few spins for good effect and collapse.

(P.S. Make sure you collapse near the person you suspect of being the culprit. Eventually, after a few days of this, either other people will catch on and help spread the word about the perpetrator or you'll be fired.

Either way - no more smell.)

Sadly I've already tried this. Everyone just kept stepping over me and going about their business. That was all well and good until our 64 year old receptionist stepped over me in her skirt.

Needless to say I won't be doing that again.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com

So what do you do when you work with someone who smells? As a computer guy at an office filled with scientists and engineers I find myself constantly having to hold my breath as I work on their machines. Personal hygiene apparently is very low their list of priorities. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm almost certain that I can't hold my breath for 8 hours, but I'm almost that desperate. Anyone got a better idea?
I'm a computer gal at an office filled with financial dweebs and I find myself constantly having to hold my breath as I work on their machines. They're everywhere.

1) Wipe a small amount of lotion, cologne or sanitizer under your nose before you go to work on their computer.
2) Don't sit in their chair.
3) Wash your hands afterwards
4) Repeat

Hope this helps!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I've had this issue, but it was cologne my new boss was wearing. Finally personnel stepped in and created a no-scent rule. BUT - there's a guy here who doesn't bathe, shave, or wash his clothes and I'm pretty sure he doesn't own a toothbrush - I've gotten light-headed being around him before.

No one ever does anything. They tell him straight to his face that he stinks, and he laughs. Personnel won't do a thing about him, and I had to buy deoderizing room spray to use any time he comes to the front office (which violates our no-scent rule but gawd!)

My sympatheis to you.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
You're not going to believe this, but one of the smellers is actually walking around the office with a mask over his mouth and nose! As if he is the one whose olfactory lobe is under assault!

What a bunch of knobs I work with!

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I used to work with a man who I swear ate garlic for three meals a day! The smell was coming out of his skin and it was horrible! You could smell it as soon as he walked in the room. We all used to talk about him behind his back. Unfortunately there was nothing we could do. I just used to take a very deep breath before I walked into his office.

Hope it works out for you.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get a jar of Vicks Menthol Rub and put a gob of that under your nose. It does two things -- it kills the smell of even dead bodies, and it makes you look like you have goobers, and no one comes around the guy with goobers!!

Hey - :roll: - if it's good enough for the cops, it should work for you.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I used to work with a guy like this. We used to rotate who had to go into his office to tell him things, since you had to hold your breath the whole time you were in there. We lucked out when he started dating a new girl (I still don't understand how that happened) and she whipped him into shape. Showers on a regular basis AND deoderant! They dated almost a year and afterwards we asked her how she dealt with it, but she didn't give us her secret. I suspect Vicks.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Get a jar of Vicks Menthol Rub and put a gob of that under your nose. It does two things -- it kills the smell of even dead bodies, and it makes you look like you have goobers, and no one comes around the guy with goobers!!

Oh, that's a fine idea! You're right! We have another guy at the office that picks his nose regularly and no one wants to go near him!

BRILLIANT!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

Have a conversation with the person, about he's smell. Be honest, and friendly and don't act like it's a big thing. Maybe even include a little bit of humour to lighten up the conversation, but most of all be truthful.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Does the old "strong hint" method of anonymously leaving soap and deodorant on the offendor's desk (or offendors' desks) not work?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Seriously, tell them straight to their face without the use of profanity and do your best to be kind about it. I find blunt is often effective.

"Did you know that you really have bad BO?" I said that to my son and when that didn't work I said:

"My word you stink...go take a shower NOW." Oh and I also was specific and said he smelled like old cheese. It did the trick.

Obviously, you can't demand they shower right then and there but I would definitely take them aside and tell them discretely that they need to pay attention to hygiene and I would make a formal complaint with HR.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick update this morning, I'm in another office so I can't speak with the offender (pardon the pun) but will do so when I smell him again on Monday.

Would it be too obvious if I wore a HazMat suit when I spoke with him?

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
Slap them and say "You guys stink to high heaven, would you please take a shower and use soap."

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Find the supervisor and say, "If you don't talk to this person I am going to make a STINK about the situation."

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Just a quick update this morning, I'm in another office so I can't speak with the offender (pardon the pun) but will do so when I smell him again on Monday.

Would it be too obvious if I wore a HazMat suit when I spoke with him?

It probably won't be too obvious, as he wouldn't have a clue why your wearing a HazMat suit. Sometimes you need to tell someone, to make it clear for them. Otherwise they will never realise, considering they live in the stink everyday, so it's non smelling to them.