More puzzlement with an agent.

JosephR

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've queried several agents for my non-fiction manuscript and a few have expressed interest. One, though, has asked for a complete proposal (i.e., marketing plan, competition, bio., annotated table of contents, sample chapters, etc.). Over the course of a couple of months, she has asked for minor revisions to the chapters. More recently, she asked that I send additional chapters (they went out in today's mail), ones that are loaded with information because such chapters make for a better proposal. She is not representing me but almost acts as though she is, and it almost seems as though she is getting ready to submit my manuscript to publishers. Admittedly, it could be wishful thinking on my part. She is a very reputable agent (i.e., I've checked her out at P&E and other sources). Does this behavior fall within the "typical" range of agent behavior? Thanks.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I don't know much about nonfiction proposals, but I don't think it would be out of line to send an email asking for clarification. Considering the amount of communication between the two of you, it seems like a fair question to ask.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be SURE they are repping you unless you get them to say it explicitly. They may just think you have promise and are helping you put together your work, hoping to rep you down the line. Shoot over an email and ask!

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Many an agent has invested time in putting together a proposal with the author without having committed to representation. I just spent an hour on the phone yesterday with such a client. Will the revised proposal work? I'm not sure. Maybe this agent is waiting to see the rest of the goods before making a final decision. Or maybe there's a miscommunication and she thinks she already agreed to represent the book. A polite way to confirm would be to ask her if she has a representation agreement that you could review before moving forward further.

Z