Query Again

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
This may have been asked before, sorry if it was. I'm not sure what to search to find out.

But if I query and agent, and they reject on the query, how long should I wait before querying with a new project.

How about if they pass on a partial? Or a full?

I ask because in the time it takes me to revise, write a query, query, and for agents to respond about queries, partials, and fulls, I've already written a new books and revised it. So I'm trying to figure out how long I should wait before querying these agents again...

TIA

ETA: Actually, I did some searching and found other threads about this, so I'll check them out.

Last edited:

ardifiore

Registered
Reaction score
I would say about six months on the same project. If it's a new project, you can query right away (since they're not rejecting you, but rather the project).

On partials and fulls I suppose it depends on the rejection. If you get a form rejection them you may not want to query again on that project (does anyone else have good advice for this situation?). If you get constructive feedback, a lot of authors like to ask the agent if it's okay to re-query later after the changes have been made.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your querying!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ardifiore!

It would always be on a new project. I've never really wanted to requery for a project they've already seen. Sometimes, they'll cite something they didn't really like in a certain project, but if I have something similar, but without whatever they didn't like, I wonder how long I should wait before telling them about it.

ardifiore

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I've read question & answer sessions with agents who have said that they love when writers ask about querying a new project even after one has recently been rejected. I think that you'll find a LOT of agents aren't happy that they have to send form letters, and feel like it's going to turn authors away from them.

I wouldn't wait very long at all on a new project. Chances are the agent is focusing first on the paragraphs about why you're writing to them and what the project is about. And they get so many queries a day that they surely don't remember everyone who they pass on.