MS = full, right?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just received a request for a full from an agent I would undergo a root canal w/out novocaine to work with. Her assistant sent me the not that:
_____ would love to take a look at your manuscript, however, she only
reads on an exclusive basis. If the MS isn't out with any other agents,
please email it to me...

I'm in an interesting situation. First of all- MS means full, right? Would any of you consider a partial as skirting the issue? (I have 3 partials out) Can I just consider a manuscript to be a manuscript and send it with a time limit for the exclusive?

This is the kind of agent I'd waive my "no exclusives" rule for. I'm cheap like that.

The stickier part is this- another agent requested a full, gave the 1st 60 pages to his reader, and then sent me an edit he wants to see to those pages. He told me he's trashing my ms and wants me to resubmit the 60pp sooner rather than later and take it from there. My full is now a partial, but he seems to also be actively working with me on this ms--although he's refusing (under direct questioning) to define what we're doing here.

What do you all think? Are partials exempt ethically? Do I need to mention them to the agent requesting the exclusive and am I ethically bound at all to the agent working with me on the MS not to grant another agent an exclusive during this process if he's dodging questions and throwing out my full? Is it scummy to slow down my edits with him while I send the MS exclusively for a few weeks? My head hurts.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'd email the assistant and tell her you have several requested partials out and let her make the call. If you're going to give an exclusive, make it a short one. After all, if any of those agents with partials ask for the full, do you really want to make them wait?

As for the agent who's working with you on edits, if you're interested in working with him and you like the editing suggestions he made, why wouldn't you want to get those edits done as fast as possible?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd email the assistant and tell her you have several requested partials out and let her make the call. If you're going to give an exclusive, make it a short one. After all, if any of those agents with partials ask for the full, do you really want to make them wait?

As for the agent who's working with you on edits, if you're interested in working with him and you like the editing suggestions he made, why wouldn't you want to get those edits done as fast as possible?

Good advice! As to slowing down the edits- my concern is that if I give a short exclusive to the agent I heard from today, and the other agent in question likes the edits and re-requests the full, I end up looking like the jerk that I suspect that I sort of am if I then can't send him the full until the exclusive expires.

No one currently has an exclusive, but that agent originally wanted one and I refused. I'm not out of bounds, but I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with all scenarios. I don't want my reluctance to be an ass to keep me from the best chances of presenting my work to these agents, but it feels a little icky.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I would send the full manuscript with an email saying you already have requested partials out but you will keep them apprised of any offers and will hold off making your decision on representation based on their decision. When you have several requests for partials it is unreasonable for an agent to insist on an exclusive- and generally they don't

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
If you have the option to send it via email, you can just attach it and point out that you have previous partials to X Y Z agents, but this is the only full.

They can look at it if they choose.

Danthia

Don't rush into anything just because it's exciting. Slow down, take deep breaths, and look at all your options. Be honest and up front with everyone. Let the agent who asked for the exclusive know others are looking at it, and if she'd still like to see it you won't make any commitments without contacting her first. I'd send it with that note, and let her make the choice. She just wants to make sure it isn't yanked out from under her and waste her time. Tyically, you just inform them on fulls (oh, MS means manuscript), but your edit situation is its own thing.

Tell the person you're working with on edits that you're getting other requests and don't want to screw him over (not those words of course), but you don't want to throw away opportunities either. If this agent is working with you, and you take his work and go to another agent, that's a pretty rude thing to do. But if he keeps you from legitimate offers until he makes up his mind, then he's being rude. Let him know you want to be fair to all, but still do what's best for you. It can be sticky, but be honest, polite and professinal and you'll be okay. Agents run into this al the time and know how to handle it. It's okay to ask them for advice.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I would send the full manuscript with an email saying you already have requested partials out but you will keep them apprised of any offers and will hold off making your decision on representation based on their decision. When you have several requests for partials it is unreasonable for an agent to insist on an exclusive- and generally they don't

Listen to Orion. This is excellent advice. Chances are, the agent will review your ms on a non-exclusive basis.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. It felt sticky. Still does a little, but should be fine. I've sent the full attached to my reply with a "here is the situation" note and a very brief window of time that I agreed to not send out any fulls. I recieved a "confirming we've received your ms" reply with no mention of the parameters I set. I'm sending the edits back to the first agent tomorrow and I'll let him know that interest continues to come in, so he can choose what he wants to do with that after he sees the edits.
Don't rush into anything just because it's exciting. Slow down, take deep breaths...
Yep. :D Adrenaline posting is second only to drunk blogging...

Listen to Orion.
I've been noticing as I lurk here that this is very good advice across the board.

Thanks again. I'm not great with the "but what if I do this and it leads to this, and what the hell does this mean?" sticky wickets. My brain goes into lockdown. I really need an agent now so I can stop looking for an agent.