Tell Vs. Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

statik27

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here and since my current WIP is a Historical (late 18th century) I thought I would make my first post here.

The question I wanted to ask is "Do you ever find telling to be more appropriate then showing?"

I'm working in a first person/past tense, and for the opening of my story the Narrator is telling of the circumstances surrounding the meeting of my MC.

I know that its a big "no, no" and that its always better to Show vs Tell. But do you ever find that to not be true?

Regards,
Statik

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno, but the "show and not tell" thing may be because people do TOO MUCH telling and not enough showing.

Anyway, some Real Writers will be along to give you Real Advice any moment now. Meanwhile, I'll put up the Welcome Sign:
:welcome:!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Statik27 - Welcome to AW and to Historical. We have a pretty active group of writers in the historical genre.

In answer to your question, I'm going to suggest that you go to the Share Your Work forum which is farther up the main page, it's password protected (Vista). The third forum from the bottom is historical. On the list of threads that show up on the main page is one called Too Much Telling posted by c.e. lawson. Look at it and the responses, then come back down here and give us a better idea how your opening compares in the percentage of show versus tell. Later on, you might want to post a bit of your work for comments on the topic - but get a feel for what's considered too much tell before you do so you get the most out of a post in SYW.

Once again, welcome. Puma

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
Always tell instead of show.

Large amounts of information can be given just in dialogue.

It can also be done with a description. Yes, that is still telling, but done properly it works wonders and doesn't come across as an info dump.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Tell v. show has always struck me as one of those great relatives of writing. When dealing with a story of novel-length, I think some telling is inevitable.

And telling is a somewhat vague term. I mean, any description of just about anything (a road, a person's face, etc) is technically telling.

Personally, I think of "showing" in two ways:

First - Portraying a situation or event through a main character's direct experience (i.e. witnessing a robbery vs. talking later about the robbery you witnessed)

Second - Conveying something through a physical manifestation or sensation (anger, cold, darkness, love).

I don't really know if that makes any sense. It does in my head, but that connection between brain and hands seems a bit off this morning.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
There's no way you can write a story or book without some telling. Of course, I'm sure someone knows an author who has, so I stand corrected. The trick is keeping it to a minimum.

True, all descriptions are telling, but some people also view that as showing what the weather is, or the way the room is decorated. Doogs makes the best point on how to show something, instead of telling.

I think it all boils down to how you go about it. How well you can show the telling.

statik27

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you...

Thank you for the responses. I've posted a part of my WIP's Ch1 in the SYW Historical section, if anyone wants to read that to see what I mean.

Regards,

Statik

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Show vs. Tell--to my experience it depends on what you're trying to do with the passage and what that passage contains. If the passage has conflict or something else that is good to dramatize, then it needs to be shown, without question. If it's getting necessary, but unconflicted, information out of the way, then tell it succiently and get on with the stuff with conflict and drama.

Just keep the tell parts very short, sweet, and as lively as possible. You really only get in trouble with them (in this reader's eyes) if you linger to long and get boring.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I think the difference in Show vs Tell is, are you keeping the story active, or passive?

Showing: Bill ran into the building, and promptly was surrounded by flames. The blaze leaped around him, and despite the heavy bunker gear, he felt his arms getting warm.

Telling: When Bill got into the building, there was a big fire, and lots of flames. Bill was wearing his protective clothing, but it was still hot in there.

"Telling" also seems to involve a lot of "as you know, Bob" statements.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
It's an old problem!

There's a very good thread on show and tell stickied to the top of the Short Fiction section which is in the Writing Studios section at the top, no 2nd block down, of the AW board.

You have to tell some of your story or lose pace and tempo. You must show some of your story or lose the reader as your characters become flat and dull.

Write your story and then work out where you need to have reader involvement with the characters and where you need rapid writing to move the story along. It comes with practise and letting others see your work to help you is a good thing!

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here and since my current WIP is a Historical (late 18th century) I thought I would make my first post here.

The question I wanted to ask is "Do you ever find telling to be more appropriate then showing?"

I'm working in a first person/past tense, and for the opening of my story the Narrator is telling of the circumstances surrounding the meeting of my MC.

I know that its a big "no, no" and that its always better to Show vs Tell. But do you ever find that to not be true?

Regards,
Statik

I found the following somewhere and am posting it for you and others - seems like sound advice to me:

Examples of show, don't tell

When applying show, don't tell, the writer does more than just tell the reader something about a character; he unveils the character by what that character says and does. Showing can be done by:
writing scenes
describing the actions of the characters
revealing character through dialogue
using the five senses when possible

Instead of telling:
Mrs. Parker was nosy. She gossiped about her neighbors.

the writer could show:
Turning the blinds ever so slightly, Mrs. Parker could just peek through the window and see the Ford Explorer parked in the driveway. She squinted to get a better view of the tall, muscular man getting out of the vehicle and walking up to Mrs. Jones' front door. He rang the doorbell. When Mrs. Jones opened the door and welcomed the stranger into her home with a hug, Mrs. Parker gasped and ran to her phone.
"Charlotte, you are not going to believe what I just saw!" Mrs. Parker peeked out the window again to see if the man was still inside.

Telling:
"Five years ago, John Meadows married Linda Carrington. Although both had grown up in Brooklyn and didn't want to leave, John had accepted a job in Montana and moved his young family west. He found he liked the mountains and open sky, but Linda was frustrated and unhappy. This all became clear the night they attended a party at their neighbors' house."

Showing:
"I told you I didn't want to go to this," Linda said as she stood beside John on their neighbors' steps. "It's just going to be as lame as every other party we've been to since we got here."
"You used to love parties," John said, avoiding eye contact.
"Yeah, well, that was back in Brooklyn. But Montana isn't Brooklyn."
"No." He looked at the mountains, colored flame by the setting sun, the sky he had come to love. Then he looked at Linda, glowering even before they went inside. In five years of marriage, she had changed so much. They both had.

Showing dramatizes a scene in a story to help the reader forget he is reading, to help the reader get to know the characters, to make the writing more interesting. "It is the difference between actors acting out an event, and the lone playwright standing on a bare stage recounting the event to the audience."

When to tell

"Show, don't tell," like all rules, has exceptions. According to James Scott Bell: "Sometimes a writer tells as a shortcut, to move quickly to the meaty part of the story or scene. Showing is essentially about making scenes vivid. If you try to do it constantly, the parts that are supposed to stand out won't, and your readers will get exhausted.”

Showing requires more words; telling may cover a greater span of time. A novel that contains only showing would be incredibly long; therefore, a narrative can contain some legitimate telling. Scenes that are important to the story should be dramatized with showing, but sometimes what happens between scenes can be told so the story can make progress. For example, if Bob is a character in a story, he could do the following things:
Have an argument with his boss
Drive to his girlfriend's house
Have an argument with his girlfriend

The writer could show the arguments with Bob's boss and girlfriend, but tell the reader Bob drove over to his girlfriend's house without excess narrative. As long as nothing important to the story happens on that drive, then the writer need only tell the reader.

The writer may also want to use telling to reveal to the reader that the narrator of the story (see point-of-view) is not reliable. The narrator may say that Bob is a great guy, but later Bob reveals himself to be a jerk through showing. Then the reader can decide that the narrator of this story doesn't see Bob for who he is.

There is also the crucial point made by poet and essayist Mario Petrucci that, "expert telling, if it's used sparingly and is utterly earned by the author, may embody an emotive or psychological moment just as effectively as showing".

Francine Prose (author of Blue Angel and Reading Like a Writer) says of the rule: "[The Alice Munro passage] contradicts a form of bad advice often given young writers--namely, that the job of the author is to show, not tell. Needless to say, many great novelists combine 'dramatic' showing with long sections of the flat-out authorial narration that is, I guess, what is meant by telling. And the warning against telling leads to a confusion that causes novice writers to think that everything should be acted out... when in fact the responsibility of showing should be assumed by the energetic and specific use of language."

:)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
This is actually a question I've been pondering myself lately, as I've just started my first attempt at first person POV, and I noticed I was more inclined to 'tell' in that voice than I would be in third person. It feels quite natural in places for my character to tell little bits of history (though not whole paragraphs, hopefully), in the midst of him telling the greater story. I think the kind of 'conversational' tone some 1st person narrators have lends itself to this, but I agree that it should be used only where it's necessary, like everything else, and not over-used.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes...

this is what you get with 1stPOV and I've just written a bit up in SYW about it. The 18thC 1st POV piece.

Don't confuse 'tell' with thoughts. In 1st you are in the head of a character and entitled to see their thoughts. This is not 'back story' or 'tell' when well written but is what makes 1stPOV so difficult to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.