Holiday Flash Fiction Carnival!

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like we have some interest, so let's go for it!

Between now and December 21, post a holiday-themed short story of 1,500 words or less on your blog or website (or a friend's site, if you don't have one of your own). Your story can center around any December holiday or New Year's, and it can be an old story or a new one written specifically for this carnival.

Once you've got your story posted, send me the link at uhamp "at" yahoo "dot" com. Multiple submissions are okay, as are submissions from your non-AW friends! 'Tis the season and the more the merrier!

Remember, this is not a contest! It's just an opportunity for us to have some holiday fun! :)

valeenc

Still Defiant!
Registered
Reaction score
Laurie, I personally would LOVE to see something based on a Sri Lankan winter holiday as I know almost nothing about the folklore and traditions there. But really, I'd just like to read more of your work. :)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Laurie, I personally would LOVE to see something based on a Sri Lankan winter holiday as I know almost nothing about the folklore and traditions there. But really, I'd just like to read more of your work. :)
I'll take the compliment, for sure. Thanks! :D

But, there's one problem... There's no winter here. We have monsoon. We have not monsoon. Then we have monsoon again. Then we have not monsoon again. That's the four seasons of the year. No winter. Heck, no spring or fall, either. :D

Christmas (Christian, of course), on the other hand, is doable. Eid (Muslim) is supposed to be on December 21st (or 20th?) this year, but it's on a lunar-based calendar, so it varies year to year. Last year, it was in January. Then there are Poya days (Buddhist), but those are every month and based on full moons, so again, the date varies every year, and the major ones the last few years have been in April to August. There are no Jews here that I'm aware of, so no Hanukkah. I'm not sure what, if any, Hindu holidays there might be at this time of year...

New Years. Well, New Years is celebrated on Dec 31st/January 1st here, but it's a very small and minor New Year's celebration as compared to the Tamil & Sinhala New Years on April 14th - that's the big one. :D

So, a little bit difficult to accommodate your request... :D

Last edited:

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
Laurie, any of the holidays you mention are fine. Dreaming of a Monsoon Christmas?

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I think I want to do this. Now I just have to write something. :) I'll go do that now.

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
I've posted about the carnival on my writing blog. No new info to anyone who has read about it here, but if you've got friends who aren't on AW, send 'em over!

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
AAAAACK I just found about this AAAAAACK

Then again, I found out about the last AW fiction carnival five days before it started, and still managed to write something decent. (See siggy.)

I would love to join.

(Just finished first draft, ~1200 words.)

By the way, a question -- is profanity not allowed? F bomb gets dropped a couple times. The main character is a bit rough around the edges.

Last edited:

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I'll do my best to whip something up. I'll let you know.

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
Ava, I don't have a problem with profanity as long as it's not gratuitous. If it fits the character and doesn't distract from the story, it belongs. I find it more offensive to force a character to say "Gee, shucks," when s/he is clearly the sort to say something more... colorful. ;)

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see the submissions starting to trickle in. Come on, folks-- it's Wednesday! I'm sure everyone has enough holiday spirit of some kind to write a little story! :)

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
It's here!

I'll still post submissions through Christmas Eve and later, if you've got them. But for maximum comment exposure and to be known as one of the cool kids, be sure to get any last-minute stories to me before the weekend!

Note that my internet has been acting a little funny tonight, so anything submitted tonight might not get posted until tomorrow morning. It's all up to the evil so-and-sos at Comcast.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I still have to finish commenting on the last carnival and finish my story for this one. I think I wrote the last paragraph last night while half asleep so I'm going to have to do some major editing before I post it. Hopefully I can get it in tonight. If not then tomorrow for sure.