Why are British women so frumpy, why aren't they like Americans?

How much do you spend on grooming/body culture per month?

• Under $50

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • $51 - $150

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • $151 - $524

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • $525 - $999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over $1000

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't exactly know what "body culture" is, but I shower daily, wear clean clothes and use deodorant. Soap, shampoo, deodorant and makeup generally don't set me back more than $50 per month and I'd consider myself pretty well groomed. I'm neither American nor British, however.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
How much money do I spend...or how much time do I spend at it?

The "Don't you dare go out of the house looking like that" 's
have been passed down for a couple generations in my family

It is possible to get a big bang for your buck!

$500 a WEEK???? come on.......

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Body culture goes beyond basic hygiene, I think, to gym classes, exercize, Botox, plastic surgery and so on.

If you add in my yoga classes and gym membership, I'm probably much higher than the average. I prefer not to think about the cost and live in the ignorant bliss of believing it's all natural. :D

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
It is possible to get a big bang for your buck!

$500 a WEEK???? come on.......

I didn't know it cost only a buck for a big bang, but at those rates I wouldn't want to be the spender or receiver of 500 bucks in one week....

;)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I would have appreciated another poll option, "Do you think this know-all twat has his head completely up his backside?"

-Derek

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
And of course, the poll doesn't include Orlando Bloom or Eggplants...

(those are required still in polls, right?)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Body culture goes beyond basic hygiene, I think, to gym classes, exercize, Botox, plastic surgery and so on.
Ah, I see. I had plastic surgery once but didn't pay for it. I have a winter ski pass and summer tennis membership, but don't consider those part of this "body culture" thing. I don't go to a gym or get a massage or do any spa-type things. I do wear makeup, but I just buy the cheap kind and apply it sparingly enough that it lasts a long while. Yup, I'll stick to under $50. I don't know why anyone would spend so much money on stuff that I don't believe improves one's looks all that much.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I would have appreciated another poll option, "Do you think this know-all twat has his head completely up his backside?"

-Derek
I would have voted for that one.

I'd also like to know where his actual samples came from.

Hollywood starletts vs Croydon council estate - yeah, there's going to be a difference.
But look at a random sample from across both countries and they're pretty damn even. The writer would know this if he pulled his head out of his ass and looked around.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
An active lifestyle, occasional vegetables and other negligible expenses are factors. I spend under fifty a month. If I had more money, however, I probably would go to the spa every month.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score

Would that also include Victoria's Secret bras, panties, etc vs generic underwear/garments?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
-Derek

Well, I certainly think that's where he should insert his head. That, or hurry up and acquire the vain, self obsessed trophy wife he is obviously pining for.
I can hardly take this seriously - a writer in search of publicity?

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score

-Derek

Yeah, me too. I could barely make it through the entire article due to his arrogant thinking. Ugh.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hmm . . . I'd have to say that Keira Knightly and Kate Moss are kind of the total opposite of frumpy. And Kate Winslet is just darn elegant. And wasn't Helen Mirren serenaded by three gents at the Oscars wanting to take her home?

I'd say that British women may appear not as glamorous as North American women because they actually cast normal looking women on their television shows as opposed to the glossy North American everyone is a size 0 casting. I mean that's where the stereotype comes from I imagine. Seeing as when I am out in the real world I see a lot of frumpy (along with gorgeous). I applaud British tv for allowing normal women to be seen, and not even seen, but an average sized woman to actually be considered sexy.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wow. This guy's still single?

And said lonely-and-disdainful heart is delusional if he thinks L.A. is representative of anything other than, well, L.A.

I can't comment on your average British bird, and I know my vanity rides my budget like the only horse in the barn, but that guy is an asshole.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
A couple of years ago, a middle-aged and very educated lady that I used to talk to, told me I looked like an American girl. I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult? :D

Elodie

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shampoo, Conditioner, electricity for the hair dryer in the winter, dry skin cream. UH????

Nail polish and remover. Basic cosmetics. Toothpaste and brushes. Body wash. NUH????

That might add up to $500.00 a year for my entire family, and my daughter can use her some nail polish, let me tell you!

Ok, I guess some people pay for gym memberships and fancy haircuts.

Still...who, aside from models, who spends $1,000 a week? That's like the income for a year for a family of four in most of the world.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I note that the author is single.
It would be better for the human race if he stays so.

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all women are beautiful in their own way.

Some on the outside, some on the inside, some both.

Not everyone has the say definition for frumpy or not frumpy.

This is just insulting.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay this may be petty of me, but I did a bit of research about the author and turns out he writes screenplays. Here's a link to the RottenTomatoes page about one of the movies he wrote (RottenTomatoes is a movie reviewing site, where they post all reviews about a certain movie). Not a single positive review: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007156-long_weekend/?show=all

Also looks like the plot of his movie goes very much hand in hand with his opinions about women.

Sounds like a grade-A loser to me.