Modes of Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
This is not a poll, but I've got a question for all the full time and part time working writers here.

When seeking new assignments, querying agents, or looking for a paying job outside of writing, which do you find more effective: email, snail mail or the telephone?

I admit the email route is by far the easiest for me, but I wonder if I'm relying on it too much and not getting the results I might through cold calls or impressive letters.

I know it's hard as well as nerve-wracking to get someone who doesn't know you to come to the phone, but these days I have no idea if any of my emails are even being received, let alone read.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i find email most effective. things change much too quickly to rely on snail mail, simply because of the time it takes to travel, the effort in responding, and the time to travel back... not to mention if it gets bogged down in some back-and-forth.

and i would rather be beaten every hour on the hour with a truncheon than talk on the phone to anyone (okay, aside from the failings of my personality, the phone doesn't offer a paper trail to preserve details and agreements; that sounds more valid).

all that said, email is not without its perils, mainly being lost in the shuffle and being somewhat a bastard stepchild of letter-writing that rarely lives up to the effort of penning an actual letter.

but most of my deals are secured via email on freelance stuff.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
For me, it's been e-mail.

Any time I've done snail-mail, not only has it cost me a whole bundle of money (USPS needs to lower their rates!), but it's also taken up to a year and a half to hear anything from the publisher/magazine (I write short fiction, so most of the stuff I do does not require an agent).

Email has just been loads quicker, and so far, I haven't had any major problems with people not responding.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
E-mail. A lot of editors and publishers don't appreciate being called unless they've asked you to. Snail mail is too complicated, like the others said. In-person is the best, if you can hack it, but first communication for me is almost always e-mail.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Email is my preference, too--for everything. That way I can look back and retrieve info from a nice, organized file system, instead of trying to find what paper towel I wrote on with crayon during a phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.