The All-New 'Good Drama' Thread

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew has been missing all the good drama (cf. Mod Warning: Listen Up! and Goodbye,).

Please. Don't let Our Bart miss out. Let's have a Drama.

And let's make it good -- maybe something like, oh... The Maltese Falcon meets Flesh Gordon in Our Town.

Okay, I'll start.

So I was looking in the neighbours' windows, minding my own business. Out of, like, nowhere, Maryn (in her usual do-gooding busybody way) poked me in the chest with a melon baller and demanded to know what I was doing. I knew it was her by the way she said, "Poet, what the hell are you doing? - Maryn, inquisitive and ruffled".

Then I felt a THUD on on my noggin, and everything went dark. That is, I went dark. I assume everything else stayed the same.

I woke up in a booth at a Waffle House with three copies of Atlanta Nights, a half-roll of quarters, two Slim-Jims, and a coonskin cap. I had a plate of hotcakes and a mug of coffee in front of me. The placemat had a map of Georgia, with Visit Our Other Convenient Locations printed across the top, and cheerful yellow dots stamped across the state, as though it had been strafed by a butterscotch gun. "Convenient... but for whom?," I mused.

In the background, I could hear a Muzak version of Haircut One Hundred's early-eighties chart-topper Love Plus One. I imagined that, years and years ago, the guy who sang Brandy was The Latest Thing. Now I knew how his fans, grown Too Old For That Stuff, felt when they heard the sounds of their youth filtered through The Living Strings.

Other than the toe-tapping melody, I wasn't optimistic about the day at this point, and my watch only had one hand on it. So it was Ten Past Something, which just meant I'd missed the beginning of whatever TV show was on.

And I still didn't know who'd brained me. But I thought I remembered, as I'd gazed at the reflection in Maryn's CHiPs-style reflector sunglasses, catching a glimpse of a rabid chihuahua.

Next?

Last edited:

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I scanned Poet's story for a mention of my name then quickly lost interest and put another tick mark in my "reasons to flounce" column. Then I kicked Cray right in the ding dong.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I scanned Poet's story for a mention of my name then quickly lost interest and put another tick mark in my "reasons to flounce" column. Then I kicked Cray right in the ding dong.

pfft.

*stares III down*

i wear a volt protector - all day, every day.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
First off, no one ever mentions me in their stories, either.

Secondly, Ray's always talking about doing someone. Actions speak louder than words. Just sayin'.

Sounds to me as if someone sold Poet a cheap watch, and you're not gonna miss much on TV. Writer's strike, remember. News travels slowly to the land down under, apparently.

If you were looking in your neighbor's window, you deserved to be brained. I'm guessing it was the fearless watchdog, named, Haggis that whacked you on your hairless noggin. Haggis, the bravest chihuahua in all of Our Town. His weapon of choice, is a tan rawhide bone.

Btw, the coonskin cap is a prized possession of the Museum of Our Town. It draws visitors from across the land, bringing in enough tourist dollars on which the very lifeblood of the community depends.

So, Poet, exactly how did it fall into your hands?

The coonskin cap's original owner was...

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Me. And it wasnt really a coon skin cap. I would have thought the black fur with the white stripe would have been a dead giveaway. I got it one day while hunting with my erstwhile hunting companion Haggis. (in case anyone wondered what that funk was whenever Haggis is around) It was quite the chore to skin it what with my doggy companion barking all the time. Then while sewing it into a cap, oh lordy, why do you think they call me fingers. I donated it to the museum to try and get rid of all the bad memories associated with it and now... now they all came rushing back. Curse you Poet for peeking in windows while wearing it. The voices in my head screamed for vengence. I commanded my erstwhile hound to take action and he....

NEXT!

yer pal Brian

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Where's Tsuki when you need her?

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
JeanMarie was the first suspected of being the Placemat Map Marking Bandit. The second was RllingThunder and/or Rumpletumbler because one could refer to either of them as RT and still be correct. PoetinaHat looked through the mug shots, but not one of the photos was of a mug. They were, however, smug and snug as a bug in a rug. Here's where the drama comes in:
But I don't like it! Not one little bit!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :e2bouncey Aaaaah! Make it stop! Maaake it stop!
:e2faint:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Poet lingered in the corner booth of the Waffle House until twilight fell. He'd had three orders of waffles with sausage and gravy and now his coonskin hat didn't fit. But he crammed it on his head anyway, and, clutching his three copies of Atlanta Nights, he made his way into the darkening street.

Chihuahaus, or Maryn, could be lurking anywhere, he realized. He saw a slinky woman on the corner, who was busy looking slinky. Should he worry? Glancing furtively up and down the street, he decided to run for it. He headed for Moe's Poetry Pot, where you could get slam poetry, dice games in the corner, and berets in the back room. As he sprinted down the block . . .

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAAY!1!1!! nerzruz give penbanced horsseeback ryde1!!1

They passed Poet as he raced toward Moe's Poetry Pot. Poet just shook his head at the sight and ran on. The hobnailed door of Moe's was within reach of his desperate fingers when out of nowhere scarletpeaches blocked his path.

She said,

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some boob on one of the boards I admin is having a hissy because I closed a thread she started ... after I received eight separate complaints about it.

This out of all the things I have been through, is one of the most hurtful. Thank you for making me cry today. Thanks for making me feel betrayed by the one community I trusted in.

How's that for drama? :Wha:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
"What the blazes are all these horsies doing out here?"

"All I know is somebody clocked me," Poet replied.

"But I've just stopped you to ask for the time," scarlet replied. "Now I'm out of luck, aren't I?"

"Probably, but you must let me get into Moe's. Let me by!"

scarlet looked him over. "Well, alright. What are you running from? Secret stuff in those three copies of Atlanta Nights?"

Poet narrowed his eyes and said,

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
"See hear, Miss Dorothy O'Hara . . "

Suddenly, the 3 hits of acid the waitress had accidently dropped on his waffles kicked in and the poet was inspired. He began gyrating and singing odd pieces of lyrics from old Doors tunes.

"Come on baby, take a chance, The Lizard King. . . will help you find your slippers, if you, see that I am not afraid. . . Touch me, Babe!"

It was that last "Babe" that did scarletpeaches in. She just could NOT stand the word, even when applied to cute pigs or candy bars. (Besides she had known for quite some time that she was allergic to peanuts.) She swung her beefy Scots fists at the blabbering poet and laid him flat out.

And that's how I found him, five hours later, still whimpering "Light my Fire". Me? Oh, you can call me 'Sam'. I'm a PI, a shamus, a private dick. Well, at least I was before the sex change. Now, I'm just a . . .

Last edited:

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Today when the orderlies came to strap me on the dolly, put on the hockey mask and wheel me out into the hallway whilst they hosed out my cage, III came over and hung one of them purrdy green tree air freshners on the bars of the window and left me a cheerful note written on toilet paper. It was so tasty. Thanks III

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Dclary attacked the gates of AWarian today, leading behind him the dark army of the banished.

It was impressive.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Magdalen helped Poet up from the sidewalk.

"Get me into Moe's," Poet(ess) begged.

"Don't worry, you'll be alright," Magdalen assured him/her. "You know, you had me fooled for years. Must've been the hat."

Moe himself appeared at the door and helped them inside, where a reading of Ulysses was taking place while shifty characters shot dice in dark corners of the bar. "That guy's been readin' that damn thing for ten years and he ain't done yet," Moe remarked. "I think he's confused. But it provides atmosphere, ya know?"

"Moe, where's your back room?" Magdalen asked.

Poet(ess) said, "I know where it is. Oh, I know it well. It's in the back."

Moe looked at them and said,

Last edited: