• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

L.A. Media

LilB

I was notified this morning to a reply on the Mardi Gras closing thread of several months ago. Apparently, this new Epub is owned by Teresa Jacobs of Mardi Gras Press, though it does not specifically state it on the website (I checked who published it, page info, etc).

There are two books up for sale at the moment and one upcoming. The upcoming one states the author's name as Teresa Wayne, and when you click on the cover, it shows the designer as Teresa Jacobs.

I wrote to the site through the contact link, regarding monies owed and the other rumors , but If I get ANY kind of reply, I'll be floored, lol. In any case, just thought I'd let you all know and post the links to the Dear Author and the new site.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007/08/27/e-publisher-bankruptcy-alert-mardi-gras-publishing/

http://www.lamediaonline.com/index.html

Lil

Last edited by a moderator:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Are they still open? It looks like they're making you go to the authors' websites to buy the books. If this is the way it was supposed to be designed, it's awkward. You have to click a separate link to go to a separate web page for each author. I've never seen an e-publisher designed like that. Most people will see that and say "Never mind, that's too much trouble."

Teresa Wayne is responding to the allegations about this company on her blog. I've only had a chance to skim her response. All I can say is...
:Jaw:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This really looks more like a PR or consulting endeavor than a publisher. Whether it's qualified to provide those services is another question.

For background on Mardi Gras Press, which closed its doors earlier this year amid allegations of bad business practices, see this thread from AW, and this blog entry from Jane Litte of Dear Author.

- Victoria

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This really looks more like a PR or consulting endeavor than a publisher.
That could be -- or a PR or consulting endeavor set up to look like a publisher? There was an earlier link, but after a couple of the romance blogs posted about it, the page went dead. I didn't see the original page, so it's possible it looked more like a publisher. Also, Fictionwise.com is carrying two titles with LA Media listed as publisher. Who owns the publisher is still a question. Maybe somebody who is more techie than me can check the registration of the URL :D

I've found the cache of the original page. Looks like they were offering a number of services, including editing, self-publishing, and e-book services. And their contact address is a G-mail address. :rolleyes: Not very professional.

Whether it's qualified to provide those services is another question.
And a very good question. :D

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record, more cached pages: Promotions and Pricing.

I'll file this as an e-pub for the time being.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There was very much a publisher website with submission by invitation, a book store etc etc. It broke all records for shortest life-span of an epublisher.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This blog entry mentions claims (via an e-mail) that Mardi Gras Publishing books that went to print are now being sold as being published by L. A. Media -- even though many of the authors did not agree to be published by the new company. I looked up the one linked in the entry, and sure enough, the publisher is listed as L. A. Media. And she is not one of the three authors mentioned on this page.

Does anyone know if these claims are true? Or is it just a glitch?

Just in case, if you're a former Mardi Gras Publishing author who was set to go into print, you might want to look up your book on Amazon or B&N. :eek:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All of those books are also listed as 'out of stock'. It may be weird but does is matter what publisher they are not being sold by?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
All of those books are also listed as 'out of stock'. It may be weird but does is matter what publisher they are not being sold by?
Good point. :) It's probably a glitch then. Like the Venus Press website coming back to life but then the shopping cart not working. We'll probably see more little temporary "zombies" like this. Well as long as the web site for the long-dead RFI West doesn't start stumbling around like a zombie. ;)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And if there was a publisher to be voted 'most likely to come back as a zombie'.... well ;)

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
LA Media site is gone. No immediate sign of Ms. Jacobs setting up shop elsewhere.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Iiinteresting. Thanks for the update!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are currently no L.A. Media books on Fictionwise. Anyone hear anything to suggest it and/or Jacobs is still in business?