Twitch!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Help me, please, in the name of all that's decent in the world!

How do you stop a twitch? My eyelid has been twitching for a couple weeks now. It is driving me insane!

Is there a vitamin I'm lacking? Is it a side effect of my new blood pressure medicine?

What?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
My boss once told me (though take this with a shaker of salt, she thinks she knows everything), that an eyelid twitch could be caused by a vitamin D deficiency. Not sure why that is, but maybe????
drink some milk

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give it time and don't look for any magic bullets (or pills). If it persists, and there is something new in your diet or you are taking new medications (like a new bp medicine), take it up with your doctor. Some muscle cramps or spastic twitches can be caused by calcium regulation problems, but if that were the cause, they probably wouldn't be so localized (which is why time may be the best cure). Although Vitamin D does regulate uptake of calcium in the small intestine, most Americans are not deficient. And taking more than the minimal necessary amount does not give any additional health benefits.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get more sleep, and imbibe less caffeine. That was what helped me when I had that happen.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Give it time and don't look for any magic bullets (or pills). If it persists, and there is something new in your diet or you are taking new medications (like a new bp medicine), take it up with your doctor. Some muscle cramps or spastic twitches can be caused by calcium regulation problems, but if that were the cause, they probably wouldn't be so localized (which is why time may be the best cure). Although Vitamin D does regulate uptake of calcium in the small intestine, most Americans are not deficient. And taking more than the minimal necessary amount does not give any additional health benefits.

SEE! You can't trust my boss' medical advice. :)
she is not a doctor, nor does she play one on tv.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In other words, give up on any thoughts of ever being a successful writer. :D

no, no. everything they said is true. But ...

TryB-100 complex. For nerves. St. John's wort - also for nerves. Caffeine - one of the major food groups. Just mix 50/50 if you drink a lot of coffee.

Watch your dark sodas; sometimes they have lots of hidden caffeine. Mt. Dew has the most of any (until those new 'Bull' type came out)

Vitamin D - ah ... it depends. Milk is fortified but many adults won't touch the stuff. Some drink it like water ... depends on you.

You can get D from green leafys (the right kinds) and sunlight - it assists in conversion of ... gosh... here's old uncle AlZHeimer showing up again... sorry. Have to reboot my internal hard drive.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I was told it was a potassium thing and to eat more bananas. I had the same thing for about three weeks -- drove me nuts. I was just getting used to it and it stopped. Now it only does it when I am really stressed/annoyed (sorta freaks the kids out, but I don't have to say a word -- they can tell by my twitchy eyelid that I am at the boiling point! -- sorta like those turkeys with the pop-out thing that tells you when its done).

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Lick your finger and make the sign of the cross on the affected area (a little catholic/santeria/mexican gri gri, courtesy of my madre)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
yanno, sometimes a twitch is just a twitch

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I like twitching. Just enjoy the ride. Jerk your head towards someone and stare with your eye twitching. They'll get the idea.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I've heard lots of the above advice before, but I think potassium works for me. Eat a banana - but not a whole bunch (lol) on one day because you CAN get potassium poisoning. Lack of P causes muscle cramps so it seems logical to me it could be causing the tiny "cramp" in your eyelid.

That's ALL JMHO. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Jewish vampires. Yes, you don't hear about them much because they can only drink kosher blood. Instead of garlic you scare them off with bacon. And they all sound like Jackie Mason.

yanno, sometimes a twitch is just a twitch
Meaning, what? Something has too cause it. Spurious transmissions from your brain or something.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Help me, please, in the name of all that's decent in the world!........ My eyelid has been twitching for a couple weeks now. It is driving me insane!

'shut up an' play yer guitar'

I was told it was a potassium thing and to eat more bananas. I had the same thing for about three weeks -- drove me nuts. I was just getting used to it and it stopped. Now it only does it when I am really stressed/annoyed (sorta freaks the kids out, but I don't have to say a word -- they can tell by my twitchy eyelid that I am at the boiling point! -- sorta like those turkeys with the pop-out thing that tells you when its done).
YAH.

My boss once told me (though take this with a shaker of salt, she thinks she knows everything), that an eyelid twitch could be caused by a vitamin D deficiency. Not sure why that is, but maybe????
drink some milk
I agree with both of these 104%

But... but... (I'm an athiest).

Isn't that a little like using a cross against a Jewish vampire?

A cross works just fine against Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, and even Agnostic Vampires.

Just make sure it is a good, solid wood, is at least 15 inches (37.5 cm) and sharpened to good point before you plunge it in.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Meaning, what? Something has too cause it. Spurious transmissions from your brain or something.

Lots of things cause this. My left eyelid twitches like mad on a regular basis and has so for years, but the right one never does. Aside from being annoying, it's harmless. If in doubt, see a doctor.

The again...if you can turn the eyelid inside-out while it's twitching you can make people with weak stomachs vomit. Try it: it's fun! :D

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Wait. There are Jewish vampires?

Nope. Only dybbuks and golems and other horrible beasties. Vampires are Eastern Orthodox.

My feet twitch. Sometimes I get full body spasms, lol, that really freaked me out one time. The only thing I can say is, umm, drink more water?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
OK, first. SOMEBODY better be hard at work on a story with a Jewish vampire by now. That's too interesting a character not to play with. (I don't write the genre. Don't know why not.)

SECOND, you got an eye twitch? Go out. Dance. Hang around where cute girls, (or guys) are. They'll think you're winking, or a lech. Either way, you'll wind up too tired to twitch.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
OK, first. SOMEBODY better be hard at work on a story with a Jewish vampire by now. That's too interesting a character not to play with. (I don't write the genre. Don't know why not.)

But -- but blood isn't kosher!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SECOND, you got an eye twitch? Go out. Dance. Hang around where cute girls, (or guys) are. They'll think you're winking, or a lech. Either way, you'll wind up too tired to twitch.

Yes. They'll think you're both.

Could someone elaborate on Eastern Orthodox vampires? I'm only familiar with the pre-Egyptian type.

Thanx.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. They'll think you're both.

Could someone elaborate on Eastern Orthodox vampires? I'm only familiar with the pre-Egyptian type.

Thanx.

Lol, there are lots of different early vampires, I guess, but mostly the ones that we talk about now come from Eastern Europe.

There are pre-Egyptian, Chinese, whatnot. Lots of em. Nearly everybody in the old world believed in some sort of zombie or vampire or other horrible undead creature.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My eye twiches when I'm under a lot of stress. I had it twich for just as long. You need to relax for some time and see if it goes away.

Sorry to hear it. I know how annoying it can be.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I get the twitchy eye as well. Pain in the arse especially as it happens when I'm not stressed or tired.