Researching your topic

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I do some basic "foundation" research to get a handle on the topic, and then I continue the research process throughout the project.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Before I start ... broadly researching the period can give me plot points I would not have thought of, and leaves fewer pits to write myself out of.

I have a book where the author's entire premise was based on an assumption about English law that was not correct. Apparently the flaw was brought up by an editor because you can see the holes and patches where a fast fix was done.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Before I start ... broadly researching the period can give me plot points I would not have thought of, and leaves fewer pits to write myself out of.

I have a book where the author's entire premise was based on an assumption about English law that was not correct. Apparently the flaw was brought up by an editor because you can see the holes and patches where a fast fix was done.

Wow, that's a good lesson to learn ahead of time!

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
Before and extra topic-specific research during.

Sometimes, you will find a bit of information that will cause you to rewrite sections.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Like a lot of others-- I research the topic. Then, I write, putting XX in the manuscript where I need to research a specific detail. Then, I go back and research those details.

In the 1990's, I read a novel by a best-selling author where the entire plot revolved around a mistaken assumption regarding email. (She assumed that each computer could only have one email account, like each house only has one mailing address. So, a dozen people were using the same computer and could all read each other's mail.)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I start with the basics - fashion, what was going on in that era, region. Then I write the first draft. Then, as I revise, I look up things specific to the story, or anything that just doesn't seem right - especially for things like slang terms (every so often something too "modern" finds its way into the manuscript and I have to go check it out and replace it.)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Like a lot of others-- I research the topic. Then, I write, putting XX in the manuscript where I need to research a specific detail. Then, I go back and research those details.

In the 1990's, I read a novel by a best-selling author where the entire plot revolved around a mistaken assumption regarding email. (She assumed that each computer could only have one email account, like each house only has one mailing address. So, a dozen people were using the same computer and could all read each other's mail.)
Well, if the family consisted of morons, I can see how it could have happened...if your net is set up through MSN and it asks you to select a username and email, some might not understand that other accounts can be created. But that's neither here nor there. ;)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually come up with a concept initially, then I research to make sure that it's actually possible, that the history side of things fits in, and through that broad initial research I usually come up with more ideas. Then I research whatever's needed for individual chapters as I come to write those chapters, for instance I just had to do a lot of reading on the writ of conspiracy in English Law for the last section I wrote.

Still get things cropping up that throw a spanner in the works from time to time, especially in periods or subject matter where there is a lot of academic debate.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Before, during, and after. I do some basic research beforehand so I know a little of what I'm talking about. Dig further if I'm stumped. Smooth over the wrinkles at the end to make sure it's exact.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I did some research before I started to get a general layout of the area and then as I write I'm going to research more in order to get surrounding neighborhoods written correctly. My WIP is centered around Coney Island so all I have to do it hop on a train and wander around but there are books I'm reading about the history of the era which not only furthers ideas but provides backstory tidbits that make the work a bit more well-rounded.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing research through the internet, books, etc. from the first day my MS idea began to take shape in my pointy head. I'm going to begin contacting experts after the new year to do more in depth research on the many technical aspects of the story, which involves a criminal investigation, forensics, police procedures, and generally lots of things of which, thankfully, I have no first-hand experience.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Before, during, after-- research is my favorite way to work on my stuff without working, yet I still feel like I'm working.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Before, during, after-- research is my favorite way to work on my stuff without working, yet I still feel like I'm working.

Here, here on that one! I actually posted about that in my blog in case people were wondering why my word count wasn't moving. I'm working on it, I swear!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I'm with Azure. I do a ton of research before I start, then keep researching as new things come up, or to confirm a few assumptions. Even afterwards, I'll read a non-fic book on the subject just to make sure I know my stuff.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
On a related note, how far are you willing to go in pursuit of authenticity for your work? Would you observe a surgical procedure if possible? View an autopsy? Skydive? Or would interviewing someone who had done what you're writing about be good enough for you?

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
On a related note, how far are you willing to go in pursuit of authenticity for your work? Would you observe a surgical procedure if possible? View an autopsy? Skydive? Or would interviewing someone who had done what you're writing about be good enough for you?

Depends on how indepth I'm getting into the notion in my writing. If it's the theme, I'm going to do what I can to make it as authentic as I can. If it's something just mentioned in passing, I don't feel the need to go to town on it. I'm sure there's enough information out there without actually having to expose yourself to the elements, so to speak. Take skydiving--of you know the intricasies, the motions that go into it, I think it's reasonable to assume that you can imagine what it's like, the feeling of dropping, floating, and make it believeable enough that someone reading it would go 'that's how I felt.'

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
I don't think there is such thing as 'too much research.' Although having said that, I definitely think you can overedit a piece to the point where it gets worse, rather than better.