First Postpartum Doctor's Visit

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
Did you have a vaginal delivery and have the standard "six week" post-delivery appointment?

Did you doctor discuss birth control options with you at the visit?

Did you go to your first appointment after having a baby and discover you were already pregnant again?

Did you have a c-section and have to visit the doctor a few days later to have staples removed, or did you have dissolvable stitches?

I'm looking for a few anecdotes for an article on postpartum doctor's visits.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Did you have a vaginal delivery and have the standard "six week" post-delivery appointment?
Yes, with both of my children (1999, 2002)
Did you doctor discuss birth control options with you at the visit
Yes, I had a different doctor for each birth and they both brought this topic up during the visit.
Did you go to your first appointment after having a baby and discover you were already pregnant again?
No.
Did you have a c-section and have to visit the doctor a few days later to have staples removed, or did you have dissolvable stitches?
No.

You can email me (writerjennh @ aol.com) or PM anytime if you'd like more information! :)

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

Yes, with my son (born 2001)

Yes, with my daughters (1996) and no with my son (2001) - with my son it was because I had a tubal ligation immediately after birth

No, thank God for small favors!!! I did, however, amuse/horrify the nurse when she asked if I had had any sexual relations yet and the answer was "yes" - with newborn twins she couldn't believe that we had done the deed or even had energy to do it!

Yes, to have staples removed. What freaked me out about the staple removal is that the tool was just like a standard office staple remover just bigger!!!!

I'm looking for a few anecdotes on an article on postpartum doctor's visits.

Thanks!

Hope my answers help!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com

Yes, with my firs pregnancy in 1992.

I already knew that I wanted to get back on bc, so I had researched Norplant. I went ahead and had one placed about three months after delivery.

Ohmygodhellno.

With my second pregnancy, in 1999, I had boy/girl twins. I had planned to delivery vaginally, but around 36 weeks I developed toxemia so they placed me on Pitocin to induce me. After 48 hours on Pitocin, I had only dilated to 5 cm, so we decided it was time to do a c-section. I had dissolvable stitches, as well as steri-strip tape placed over the incision.

Having done both, I can honestly say that if I had known how easy it would be to recover from a c-section, I'd have planned it from the get-go.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

1. Yes, on all but the fourth baby. I haven't actually been back since he was born. Long story, but I had three babies in three years and was sick, sick, sick of that office.

2. Yes, went on the pill after #1 (and quickly dropped it--it's really demon food for me); opted for nothing after #2 because I wanted another one close in age (was pregnant again in nine months); had the hubby neutered after #3 and was pregnant AGAIN six months later. Sigh.

3. Almost! I think it's why I'm hesitant to go back, that they'll tell me I am.

4. No c-sections, thankfully.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com

No. Emergency C-Section in 2000, scheduled C-section in 2005, both with 2 week follow up appointments.

Yep, but it was a real short conversation. Somehow, sex was abso-posi-loutely the laaaast thing on my mind... :D

Thank God, no. Of course it would have been a real shock - the general rule is not to resume sex until that post-delivery appointment. Besides, after only 2 weeks, who the hell has the energy for sex? ;)

Both times I had dissolving stitches and the follow ups were two weeks later, when I was able to drive again. The doctor said to call if it looked like the incision was getting infected, but if not, 2 weeks was soon enough.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
First c-section: When I got the stitches out, my hubby took me. Dr. yanked 'em out, handed hubby the staple remover and said, "Here. For next time. Save on the doctor's bill." (I think he might have been serious.)

Ran screaming from office.

Second c-section, had a female dr. No jokes, just a snip snip and there you go.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
1. Did you have a vaginal delivery and have the standard "six week" post-delivery appointment?

First was emergency C-Section, Second planned C-section

2. Did you doctor discuss birth control options with you at the visit?

See question #3 :D re first pregnancy, No after second pregnancy (tubal during c-section)

3. Did you go to your first appointment after having a baby and discover you were already pregnant again?

Okay, TECHNICALLY, I saw the doctor two weeks after delivery so he could check on stitches, so I went back on week 7 or 8 instead of week six, and yes, I was pregnant again -- I was NOT pregnant 6 weeks after delivery!! That would be a really crazy thing to do. (Hence the tubal after the second baby!!)

4. Did you have a c-section and have to visit the doctor a few days later to have staples removed, or did you have dissolvable stitches?

For both C-sections, they used disolving stitches.

Thanks!

hope this helps

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Yes for both children.

Yes, both doctors.

NO! And it wasn't an issue. For me, breast feeding kept me from getting pregnant. (But that isn't the case for every woman.) With my first child, I had to wait longer because I started exercising five days after birth and tore stitches. (My Dr. scolded me about that.) My second child was 9lbs. So I had NO interest in moving for two weeks!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had two c/sections (2004, 2007). My OB gave me my prescription for BC pills before I left the hospital. I had dissolvable stitches, no staples. At my postpartum appt, I was asked if I'd gone back on the pill and was asked about how I was feeling/post partum depression. No pregnancies back to back here.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if you want the perspective of a provider, but I have mothers come in for a 2 week visit if it is their first baby, their first time breastfeeding, if they have a history of depression or other health issues. Everyone is supposed to come in for a 6 week visit. I have rarely had a woman already pregnant at 6 weeks. I discuss birth control multiple times through the pregnancy, so the 6 week visit is not the first time anyone has heard about options. Sometimes women will get birth control before leaving the hospital (pills or depo provera). I have a lot of women choosing IUDs and I think that is one reason many choose abstinence or are very careful with condoms, cause they want that IUD ASAP.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score

Vaginal - I had to wait for my first check up, I was still bleeding.

Did your doctor discuss birth control options with you at the visit?

I do know that it wasn't until at least 9 weeks later because that is when I did it for the first time and had a mental pregnancy scare bad enough to request Plan B.

See above...

Last edited:

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com

Thanks!

1. Yes, both children.
2. Yes. I nursed both (still am with the second) and was limited in choices because of that. Tried a pill but didn't like it. DH took care of the issue recently :)
3. No
4. No

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com

Thanks!

I have had 7 children and went to the 6 week postpartum with the first 5.

Birth control discussed at prenatal visits and again before leaving the hospital with each baby. I usually just got a passing "any questions about BC" kind of remark.

I did not discover I was pregnant at a 6 week postpartum; however, my first two boys are 13 months apart, and my longest "gap" is 18 months. Most of my children are conceived when the previous one is around 6 months old.

Never had a c-section.

Stressed

Registered
Reaction score
After my son was born the midwife cheerfully raised the subject of birth control as I lay bleeding to death [tho obviously they realized… eventually…] on the bed where he was born… :eek:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score

Sort of. I went through a midwife and had my six-week appointment with her. My son had gained back all his weight and a good deal more, I had no stitches or whatnot, and all was well. This was 2004.

We talked about it, but I wasn't worried. Exclusive breast feeding can actually stop your periods. I didn't have another period for over a year, during which time I enjoyed unprotected sex with no pregnancies. I concieved again shortly after my periods resumed. (Yes, I know that on VERY rare occasion, women can get pregnant before their periods resume, but I figured that that was rare enough that if it happened, it was meant to be.)

No. Actually, it isn't safe to have sex while the lochia is flowing. It can cause possibly fatal infection in the mother.

Second pregnancy, after an emergency transfer to the hospital, I had a C-section. (2006) They stapled me shut at first, then came in the next day to remove the staples. As they removed the staples, they put little peices of tape in their place. Yeah, I was taped together. Loverly.

My midwife was wonderful, and I don't mind sharing. You can PM me if you're interested. My doctors were horrid, and I never went in for my postpartum visits with them. If I never see them again, I'll be happier for it.

You're welcome.