NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
I am in a quandary.

I have a short story, round about 1800 words, which would fit rather well in a "religious" (read: Christian, or possibly Unitarian), Inspirational magazine, or an "angels among us" sort of publication... if any publications fitting that description ACTUALLY PUBLISHED FICTION!

Most of the pubs that look like good fits turn out to only want personal essays of the autobiographical sort.

I'm been shopping the story around mainstream literary magazines, starting right up there at the insanely optimistic level of Glimmer Train (rejection), DoubleTake (discontinued), and Tin House (jury's still out). But should the manuscript come home to me again, I would love to send it someplace that seems more of a match than just "This isn't genre fiction; they don't publish genre fiction."

Anyone got ideas here?

And: was this the best place to post this? I couldn't decide between here, or "Sharing Leads", or "Genre: Christian". And it probably wouldn't be good etiquitte of me to post it in all three simultaneously...

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nicole, try to get your hands on a recent copy of Christian Writers' Market Guide (you can even order one on-line here) and go through it to find some market suggestions. There are a whole bunch of magazines listed (too many to post here) that accept short stories. Good luck!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Betty's right. There are many Christian magazines that publish fiction. Alive! (yup, that's the name of the magazine), Liguorian, The Family Digest, Mature Living.... You'd have to get a copy of either (as Betty recommended) Christian Market Writer's Guide or the 2005 Writer's Market. Just make sure you read their requirements for word count.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.