YA Website Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mara_jade3

Broken Pixie
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I hope I'm in the right section... I am making a website for my novels, but I am unpublished. This makes me hesitant on putting little summaries, like a backcover blurb, of what my novels are about. Should I leave them out of the site? Or am I just being paranoid?

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
I'd say that summaries are fine (although I wouldn't give away the ending). It's posting excerpts straight from the book that gets tricky. Good luck in making your website! I can't wait to see it. :)

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living lik
Website
www.trchelle.com
I'm not published, either, but I still have a website with that sort of thing on it. :) I figure it shows I'm serious about advertising/selling my work. Besides, you never know who might stumble in and like what they see.

Re. excerpts specifically, though, I've read before that you shouldn't post more than 10% of the manuscript if you want it to be considered unpublished.

~JM.

Danthia

I'd suggest writing them same as you would your hook for your query. That way, you generate interest for reading the novel. Question though, if visitors to your site can't get the books, why list them at all? Do you gain anything by having them there? Especially if you're leery about putting your unpublished ideas out for all to see.

Cbrandtwright

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thelinebook.com
WGAw?

I might be a little late responding, but have you registered all of your manuscripts with the Writers Guild?

It's $20 per project and protects you and your work for 5 years. It's not the same as a copyright, but it shows intent. You can register everything from manuscripts to ideas. I've done it for all of my complete works, just as a way to protect my writing.

Hope this helps!

~C

Status
Not open for further replies.