Mental spelling blocks

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Do you have words that you simply cannot remember how to spell, no matter how many times you type them? For the life of me, I can never spell dialogue or restaurant and at this point I'm certain I never will.

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I get that all the time! I can never spell definitely...thank god for the Mozilla spell checker :D

Reaction score
Diahoerr...diarrho...you know that word for when you get the runs?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
'Colleague'. So of course, the one time I went for an interview at an employment agency and had to sit a numeracy and literacy test to go on their books, guess what word they wanted me to spell?

I have the thing though more often where I type a word and it just looks wrong, even if it's spelled correctly. I also forget whole words (including the name of Trafalgar Square, during a tour I was giving of London, which had already been through Trafalgar Square twice already. But I just kept staring at it and could not think what it was called).

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I hope you appreciate I had to look these up!

non sequitur (it's not quitter, dammit!)
obsequiousness (I can never figure where the 2nd u goes)
onomatopoeia (honk!)
hors d'œuvre (which I always read aloud as whores de oov reh)

-Derek

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Florescent.

And the sad part is, one time my spellchecker caught it, and I accidentally clicked "add to custom dictionary" instead of "replace.":cry: So I'm screwed.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have trouble with supercalifragilisticexpealadocious

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I had trouble with restaurant when I lived in the midwest. Most people pronounced it "res-trant." No "tau." Here in the Northeast, they say all 3 syllables, so I seem to have less trouble with it. Same with "caramel."

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Weird, restaurant, conscious...

Weird just never looks right.

Restaurant I will never spell right...no matter how many times I look it up.

Conscious...I always forget the first 's'. And it sucks because I have to type it at work at least 5 times a night and it's always wrong! Makes me look like an idiot. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most valuable things I ever lost was the one sheet of paper with a list of all the words I misspell all the damned time. It moved from one bulletin board to the next as I changed jobs, and when my new job was mommy, I put it away somewhere, never to be seen again.

I'm sure it had murmured on it. Which I had to look up just now.

Maryn, decent speller who knows her limits

P.S. Ledbetter, IIRC there's a way to open your user-created spelling dictionary and edit it. I did it when I made a similar mistake to yours, adding both adrenalin and adrenaline. (Both of which just got green-lighted on Firefox's spellchecker.) So much for consistently using one, huh? Anyway, look into that for however you spelled florescent?

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
With a lot of words like chocolate, definitely, etc. If I say them in Spanish I remember how to spell them in English.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have trouble with sesquepedalian. Or however you spell it. Damn those long words.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most valuable things I ever lost was the one sheet of paper with a list of all the words I misspell all the damned time. It moved from one bulletin board to the next as I changed jobs, and when my new job was mommy, I put it away somewhere, never to be seen again.

I'm sure it had murmured on it. Which I had to look up just now.

Maryn, decent speller who knows her limits

P.S. Ledbetter, IIRC there's a way to open your user-created spelling dictionary and edit it. I did it when I made a similar mistake to yours, adding both adrenalin and adrenaline. (Both of which just got green-lighted on Firefox's spellchecker.) So much for consistently using one, huh? Anyway, look into that for however you spelled florescent?
Thanks, Marin. I've tried to open that custom dic many times. My computer just laughs at me maniacally.

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
The easiest word I misspell is "of". I'm still suspicious that it doesn't end in "v".

I've done that before. For the life of me I couldn't remember how to spell it. So I asked my friend and neither could she. It was a double blonde moment.

I sometimes spell remember wrong. I put to many m's and e's in lol

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Separate.

I always have to look it up to figure out if the second vowel is an "e" or an "a." Then I swear to myself I'll remember for next time. Which I never do.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to teh intarwebs, I'm having trouble with the more common spellings. "You're", "your", "their", "there", "they're"...I'm getting them all #$@&ed up.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Florescent.

And the sad part is, one time my spellchecker caught it, and I accidentally clicked "add to custom dictionary" instead of "replace.":cry: So I'm screwed.

The correct spelling is:

Fluorescent

I once worked for a large lighting fixture manufacturing company that has 25 percent of the world market of commercial/office/industrial fluorescent lighting fixtures. Shipping is such a significant cost in these things that they have seven manufacturing plants around the USA, rather than just one and shipping them all around. So I learned how to spell the word.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
occurred

I always spell it with only one R.

Typo-wise, I have lots of "teh"s for "the" and "fro" for "for" (including the first one in this sentence).

Luckily, Word corrects all three of these automatically.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
aesthetic
anesthesiologist (or is it anaesthesiologist?)
effervescent
supercalifragilisticexpealidocious