Oprah and Obama

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I have been waiting for someone to start this thread, but nothing.

Personally, I think Oprah stepping into the political arena is going to hurt her big time. It’s not like her recommending a book on her show. Any thoughts or comments?

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Bob-in answer to your question I do not believe that it will hurt her in any way shape or manner primarily because of the mentality of her worshippers

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Hurt her big time?

On the surface I'd say probably not. Just look at the percentage of registered voters who actually vote, let alone the depressingly low number of Americans who are registered voters.

It's not something that the majority of Americans pay attention to, other than to gripe about the current elected officials are.

Maybe it will bring more folks to the polls. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Oprah is unhurtable.

Like Springsteen.

Although he broke my heart by openly backing that hump Kerry, I still bought his albums and saw perhaps the greatest concert of my life 10/17 at MSG.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
When has campaigning for a politician ever hurt a celebrity? Never as far as I can tell. Especially one who is as mainstream and uncontroversial as Obama is.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Oprah needs to tend her school and stay out of the political ring. She's damned well aware the power her name has in millions of households.
Just once, I'd like to see a President win on his/her own fricken merits, not have some brother in one state dirtying up the votes, or some big name ra-ra star throwing their name behind a contender.

Now, if she wanted to throw her name behind my book--I ain't THAT damned proud ;D

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
One of 300+ Post from the Times

71.December 7th,
5:38 pm I thought there was a 2300 dollar cap on individual donations to candidates? I am sure Obama being on her show could be valued at more than that,, in air time alone I am sure it would run into the millions that oprah has donated to his campaign.

— Posted by David S.
Unquote

That does raise an interesting question about equal time for the other candidates. Does she invite them all for a chat on her show?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we could get Hillary Clinton on AW.
How many votes would she pull in from here?

And if she wins, think she'll turn the tables, so to speak, and have an affair in the Oval Office?

Tit for tat--pun intended.

I would.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
"Does she invite them all for a chat on her show?"

That would be for her sponsors to decide.

And doesn't that just lead us down an ugly road?

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Bob-in answer to your question I do not believe that it will hurt her in any way shape or manner primarily because of the mentality of her worshippers
I obviously did not read all 300+ comments to the Times piece, but read a sampling and there are more negatives than I would have expected.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yes Robert but as far as I read and not 300 the general feeling is that it might indeed hurt Obama unless he decides to relate to the issues at the heart of the voter which he may or may not be doing-that of course is a matter of opinion and the individual needs of each voter. However, I do not believe it will hurt her as I said in any way shape or form as the adorer clones will worship at her altar regardless of what she does or says-a matter of fact in our society. I suppose if she was not "OPRAH," it might indeed have no effect whatsoever on anyone but then again she is "OPRAH," the Diva of entertainment blather.

Last edited:

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Robert, thanks for the link. I was looking for that.

The way it reads, though, Oprah is under no obligation to give time to any candidate. The law applies to the stations airing her show. The individual stations that syndicate her might be able to be taken to court, in order to force either equal air time to candidates, or pre-empting of the portions of shows, or entire shows where Senator Obama appears.

However, this, excerpt from the law

"The FCC has also labeled shows such as The Phil Donahue Show and Good Morning America news interview programs." (and are therefore exempt),

would seem to indicate that the folks bringing suit would lose.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Robert, thanks for the link. I was looking for that.

The way it reads, though, Oprah is under no obligation to give time to any candidate. The law applies to the stations airing her show. The individual stations that syndicate her might be able to be taken to court, in order to force either equal air time to candidates, or pre-empting of the portions of shows, or entire shows where Senator Obama appears.

However, this, excerpt from the law

"The FCC has also labeled shows such as The Phil Donahue Show and Good Morning America news interview programs." (and are therefore exempt),

would seem to indicate that the folks bringing suit would lose.
The big caveat is that she step off her day time show and into the public arena and backed him. That would be the challenge (legally).

Having someone on a talk show is one thing, pushing for him is a different thing.

I don’t think she is dumb enough to mention her support for him on her upcoming normal shows, but someone may ask the question. Then all hell breaks loose.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
"The big caveat is that she step off her day time show and into the public arena and backed him. That would be the challenge (legally)."

Ok, you lost me. Nothing in this law says a public or media figure cannot publicly speak out for a candidate, either on a street corner or a stadium.

You might be able to make a case that, if she were to rent the stadium for him, and give away the tickets, it would constitute fundraising value, and then she would be limited by individual contribution limits. But that's a different law.

Which brings up the Ron Paul supporter's blimp. That one is unique. A for profit operation, thus bypassing most of the campaign fund raising regs. Genius. Scary, creepy, genius.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
oprah's free to endorse and campaign for obama if she likes.

i just think it reveals, yet again, her poor judgment.

Reaction score
If EVERYTHING was the same about him, except white skin instead of black, would she be backing him?

That, my friends, is the $64,000 question.

I'm quite confident that the answer would be "no."

And I'd be cashing the $64,000 check right now.

Same views, same oratorical ability, same charisma....same everything....

But call him Daniel Chernan and make his skin white.

Oprah would be nowhere to be found IMO

But that, my friends, is the $100,000 question!!

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
"The big caveat is that she step off her day time show and into the public arena and backed him. That would be the challenge (legally)."

Ok, you lost me. Nothing in this law says a public or media figure cannot publicly speak out for a candidate, either on a street corner or a stadium.

You might be able to make a case that, if she were to rent the stadium for him, and give away the tickets, it would constitute fundraising value, and then she would be limited by individual contribution limits. But that's a different law.

Which brings up the Ron Paul supporter's blimp. That one is unique. A for profit operation, thus bypassing most of the campaign fund raising regs. Genius. Scary, creepy, genius.

Agree she can back him as other “stars” back other candidates (Streisand, Norris, etc. etc.)

I think that she would overstep the line if she endorses him during one of her shows.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If EVERYTHING was the same about him, except white skin instead of black, would she be backing him?

That, my friends, is the $64,000 question.

I'm quite confident that the answer would be "no."

Maybe. Maybe not. As far as I can tell, race is not much of a factor with respect to who she promotes. She has promoted the work of a lot of white people in her time.