Can a girl be called master?

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. I wrote this story about a young preeteen girl and her cat, and her cat calls her master. Would that make sense? Is the word Master too cliche?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
In the "Shoebox" TV fantasy series, they call the girl Mistress.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yes, the usual way to address is Mistress. Or what about other languages: Mademoiselle, Froilen, Señorita, etc.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Mistress is the female equivalent of Master. (Headmaster/Headmistress) Just as Mrs. is to Mr.

Although in the context you've shown above, it seems ok. But I think it'd look kinda funny if you had people calling a female - "Master."

andrewhollinger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewhollinger.com
No, too formal. I mean like servant and master.

Well, you were going to have the cat call her "master" so I don't think you have to worry about formality, since Master is as formal as it gets.

I would have the cat say Miss [first name]. It's polite, addresses the issue of servant/employee-master/boss, and is somewhat casual.

i.e.

"Miss Wendy?"

"Yes, Mr. Whiskers?"

"How come you shaved all my fur off?"

"Because I don't enjoy the taste of cat dander in my evening meal."

"Of course Miss Wendy. However I may leave you a little surprise in one of your shoes tonight."

"What?"

"Nothing."

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Because its like a relationship between cat ang girl. She like serves her in a way.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
"Master" as a formal title can be sexless, i.e. when you master a skill, a ship's master, a master craftsman/builder, etc. But if the cat is smart enough to know the difference between a boy and a girl, then its calling the girl "Master" seems strange, since Master in this context is a male label that has a female equivalent, Mistress. Then again, if it's a running joke -- "Will you please STOP calling me that? I'm a girl!" -- that's different.

-Derek

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Because its like a relationship between cat ang girl. She like serves her in a way.
Yup, I don't think that's enough. As most of the replies here have said, there is a female equivalent (Mistress or Miss). If you want to use Master, there has to be a reason why you're not using the female equivalent. It's not like cats can't understand or distinguish gender. If, however, you want a non-gender specific title to make a point within the story, or as Derek suggests, for humor - that's another matter.

Last edited:

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Blue, you can certainly do what you want in your story, but it doesn't change the fact that master, when used as a noun, indicates the masculine, whereas as mistress indicates the fem and interchaning the two might confuse the readers. I really can't think of any unisex noun that would convey your meaning though. If you look at any book that deals with the slave/servant lord/master dynamic, the female equivalent of master is mistress, and that of lord is lady. Maybe the cat can call her boss?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
The cat calling the girl master is about the same as my children's friends calling me Mr. Stew rather than Mrs. Stew.

It makes no sense unless you have a gender confused girl who requested to be called Master or a Gender confused cat who doesn't know it is appropriate for a female to be called mistress not master.

Short answer, do it if you want to, but know that it isn't correct.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
a title for someone that is served can be either master (masculine) and mistress (feminine). It demonstrates the same relationship. I don't understand why this is hard.

You have a lot of respectful female titles from which to choose.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
This is hard.
It's easier when you think of the decisions you make for your story in terms of how they impact the reader. Does it tell my reader something about the meaning of the story? Does it convey something about the characters? Or does it bring something to the story that I can't put across in any other way?

If the answer to all of these questions is no, don't do it.

Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Hmmm ....

Master, I'm afraid, is standard English for a male in charge of something.

We make exceptions for combined forms ... master thief, master carpenter, shipmaster. I could get past these for a woman, simply because there is no good female alternative.

'Master', by itself, used for a young girl, would be a wallbanger for me.

Dame, madame, mistress, my lady, maîtresse, domina, maesta, padrona, patrona, dona, magistra ... and we aren't even moving out of the standard, familiar terms of Europe or trying for anything fancy like sensei or teacher or mater or ma mère, or eldest or older sister or ...

Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I don;t see why not. In one book I read all nobility, male and female, were called 'princes'.

This has some history behind it. Didn't Elizabeth I refer to herself as a 'prince'?

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
In most situations I would think 'mistress' would be used, but I suppose 'master' isn't taboo.