Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
It’s cold here with freezing rain expected later in the day. I’ve put aside my WIP (romance) for many, many months, and I’m not sure if I will return to it. So, is anyone willing to kick me in the ass by voting on which writing attempt I should take, or is this a tip off that I should give up on writing? I’ll come up with the subject matter I am just asking what direction I should take.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should read through the last 2 pages and write a little, maybe 250 words. See if you are feeling it.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
There is no giving up on writing.

There is time off, there is change of direction, there is exploring new genres and forms, but there is no giving up.

Sorry, but that's about as ass-kicky I get.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
No, no, no. You need something to get those creative juices going. Something to *read*. Something that could inspire...to gestate that timid creature in the back of your mind; waiting for just such a climax of birth...

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I voted short fiction because of the (almost) instant gratification of completing something and sending it out.

Since you've been writing romance, why not do up a little 750-word one and package it off to Woman's World? It could be worth a grand. Ya never know.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Thanks, Siddow for answering both of my pathetic cries for help threads. I’ve never written short fiction, but I might do better at it then a novel.

Last edited:

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for short non fiction, basically because I'm staring at an essay I'm working on with no clue how to move forward, and misery loves company.

My other option is giving up on writing for the day and going Christmas shopping on State Street before the freezing rain hits.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I think you should read through the last 2 pages and write a little, maybe 250 words. See if you are feeling it.
Maybe I should read the end of my WIP. I completed my story many years ago it’s the grueling revisions and the breakup in voice that seems to ruin it.

There is no giving up on writing.

There is time off, there is change of direction, there is exploring new genres and forms, but there is no giving up.

Sorry, but that's about as ass-kicky I get.
LOL! I'm giving you a :Hug2: for your comments.

No, no, no. You need something to get those creative juices going. Something to *read*. Something that could inspire...to gestate that timid creature in the back of your mind; waiting for just such a climax of birth...
I’ve recently finished Lottery and A Thousand Splendid Suns and my current read is Anna Karenina. After reading these books they didn’t inspire but they did make me see more faults in my writing. Grrr...

I vote for short non fiction, basically because I'm staring at an essay I'm working on with no clue how to move forward, and misery loves company.

My other option is giving up on writing for the day and going Christmas shopping on State Street before the freezing rain hits.
I’m with you there. *soft punch to RLB’s arm*

I’ve given up on writing for way too long, besides, shopping on State Street is not even an option. I’m already feeling miserable so I don’t need anger to join in. :D

Already planning on merging. ;) (But it's not the result of stupidity.)

ETA: Merge complete.
YEAH!

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
So I chose "Other."

Certainly all are viable options (apart from altogether quitting - you're too sharp for that), but I think the only one who can nudge you is you. What discipline do you truly feel would best suit your talent as a writer? What would excite & motivate you?

I think you're wise to set aside anything that feels less a labor-of-love and more like labor pains. There's little point in forcing words that aren't there - it'll just enchance a hatred for writing itself.

Think of it this way... Your posts here are witty & clever & I imagine quite effortless, right?

What sort of writing would allow you the same easy ride? What will keep you from feeling pressured?

So... Other: whatever moves you at the point where pen meets paper.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think taking several months off is an indication that you should give up writing. Sometimes life gets in the way, especially if you have a full-time professional job and a house to keep up and relationships to maintain. For my part, I have all of those plus chronic health problems. There are whole weeks in which I can't write, plain and simple. Eventually, though, the story starts nagging at me and I have to get back to it.

Think of it this way. You've let your story age a little. Maybe now you'll be able to look at it with a fresh eye and feel inspired to start editing.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
i vote short fiction. cold rainy days do well for narrative writing. being stuck is good for writing that invites you to stretch out your imagination. and then there's the immediate return satisfaction. yup, short ficiton.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
So I chose "Other."

Certainly all are viable options (apart from altogether quitting - you're too sharp for that), but I think the only one who can nudge you is you. What discipline do you truly feel would best suit your talent as a writer? What would excite & motivate you?

I think you're wise to set aside anything that feels less a labor-of-love and more like labor pains. There's little point in forcing words that aren't there - it'll just enchance a hatred for writing itself.

Think of it this way... Your posts here are witty & clever & I imagine quite effortless, right?

What sort of writing would allow you the same easy ride? What will keep you from feeling pressured?

So... Other: whatever moves you at the point where pen meets paper.
You’re such a cute thang, Talps and I thank you for the nudge and compliments.

At this moment in my life, I can’t figure out what will discipline me, which has made me think about giving up on writing for a while. Nothing comes to mind regarding excite and motivation and that’s a problem when you WANT to be a writer. I guess it’s wrong of me to ask for guidance when I can’t even find anything to validate a reason to continue.

My problem with my WIP and writing is wondering if my writing will be shit in anything I write. I like my story, characters and plot yet the voice and writing itself is bad. Is that because I’m a poor writer, or is it because I didn’t allow my character’s natural voices? I do not know the answer to these questions. All I know is when I come to AW, I read about people’s accomplishments and their dedication to writing and I don’t feel it. I posted this to see if I can find direction, or if this is a sign to walk away. I’ve struggled with this thought for many months.

Thanks about ‘witty’ and ‘clever’, but that really isn’t writing. It’s playing off other’s words in friendly banter, but it doesn’t prove I can write.

I appreciate your response. :D

Last edited:

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks about ‘witty’ and ‘clever’, but that really isn’t writing. It’s playing off other’s words in friendly banter, but it doesn’t prove I can write.

Maybe not... but it proves that you think like a writer. You're feeding off the words of others... Now use that skill to feed off of what you've written.

And while I'm eternally grateful, how can you think I'm such a cute thang when I've purposely whited out the face beneath the cap? Don't you know that's the telltale sign that usually I send people running in terror?!

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I have found that if I'm able to walk away from my writing for a long duration of time, that wasn't the piece for me.
It wasn't the right muse.

You've an incredibly gifted wit about you. Take your passion genre, and twist it with your wit.

Begin again. Something new. Don't feel tied to your old shoes, simply because they're comfy. Fresh paper. Fresh gel pens. Hell, take a gander through Office Depot--and remember I'm pea green with envy. They don't have those here in Turkey--and buy new notebooks...the kind that are oversized journals...gorgeous...old world, or whatever your desire.

And then...simply write. Don't follow rules. Don't outline. Don't character build. Just write. You might even step out onto a tight rope, and write in a genre you've never thought to enter.

Another thing that you may try is read outside your normal preferred reading. Ah, but not from page one, my friend. If you own several books, several you haven't had a chance to read...grab one. Turn to any page...read it.
Not enough of your own?
Get your butt to Barnes & Noble.

Select a book...turn to any page...

NOTHING sparks muse outside your normal realm than random reading outside your genre.

Take paper/pens. You may find you MUST get whatever blasts your imagination.

Simply put: begin anew. And write like you do here: full of wit. Spontaneous.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Maybe not... but it proves that you think like a writer. You're feeding off the words of others... Now use that skill to feed off of what you've written.

And while I'm eternally grateful, how can you think I'm such a cute thang when I've purposely whited out the face beneath the cap? Don't you know that's the telltale sign that usually I send people running in terror?!
I like this
Now use that skill to feed off of what you've written
you may have triggered something here.

I don’t know what you look like and the white out just indicates you’re shy. I can tell you’re cute from your humor, heart and words and that trumps physical looks any day. ;)

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I have found that if I'm able to walk away from my writing for a long duration of time, that wasn't the piece for me.
It wasn't the right muse.

You've an incredibly gifted wit about you. Take your passion genre, and twist it with your wit.

Begin again. Something new. Don't feel tied to your old shoes, simply because they're comfy. Fresh paper. Fresh gel pens. Hell, take a gander through Office Depot--and remember I'm pea green with envy. They don't have those here in Turkey--and buy new notebooks...the kind that are oversized journals...gorgeous...old world, or whatever your desire.

And then...simply write. Don't follow rules. Don't outline. Don't character build. Just write. You might even step out onto a tight rope, and write in a genre you've never thought to enter.

Another thing that you may try is read outside your normal preferred reading. Ah, but not from page one, my friend. If you own several books, several you haven't had a chance to read...grab one. Turn to any page...read it.
Not enough of your own?
Get your butt to Barnes & Noble.

Select a book...turn to any page...

NOTHING sparks muse outside your normal realm than random reading outside your genre.

Take paper/pens. You may find you MUST get whatever blasts your imagination.

Simply put: begin anew. And write like you do here: full of wit. Spontaneous.
Thanks, Inked.

I think you're right about walking away from my WIP. *Note: I actually got up and retrieved a cute spiral notebook and a pen* I hang out in the humor writing forum and enjoy that type of writing. Maybe I just answered my own question. Duh! I don't know if I can write humor, but I won't know until I try. *Takes shoe out of butt*

:Hug2: I already feel better.

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
geez shucks gosh blush thanks...

Inked is completely right about removing yourself from your comfort genre. Brave the nasty Chi-town weather and get thineself to a bookstore. Or, if you must cower before the outdoor climate, there's this place called Amazon.com...

I'm curious to know what I might have (accidentally?) triggered.

I don't really know you outside fun chit-chat here on AW, but my instincts tell you that you might be well served not somuch by "short fiction," but instead by short-burst fiction (which isn't exactly a genre, but still).

To this end, a couple titles you may wanna look into...

For short story collections, check out Lorrie Moore's Self-Help.

As for a novel, Mary Robison's Why Did I Ever.

Both works race a reader in & out of scenes in a hurry - the short burst. You're allowed to fragment your time as a writer - long stretches of time before the computer are not rquired - sometimes all you'll need are 10 minutes to make a passage sing.

And you're right - you don't yet know if you can write humor. But some wise writer type once said something like "The worst thing you write is better than the best thing you didn't write."

So just let loose and see what happens.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Or do what I do, when in need of cynical humor: watch Judge Judy.
Best damned way to start the day laughing over her jaded, rude, attacks...course, I'm certain there are better ways to spend the 5am hour.

Can you imagine, just for muse kick-starts, if Judge Judy were sitting on the bench, and the defendent was Dr. Ruth Westheimer?
Dr. Phil could be the bailiff.

I know. I'm sick. But this is funny! Anyhoo...can't write humor?
Download the Comedy Cabaret...read your posts...oh, thou writeth humor just fineth!

No, I didn't burn my tongue.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
geez shucks gosh blush thanks...

Inked is completely right about removing yourself from your comfort genre. Brave the nasty Chi-town weather and get thineself to a bookstore. Or, if you must cower before the outdoor climate, there's this place called Amazon.com...

I'm curious to know what I might have (accidentally?) triggered.

I don't really know you outside fun chit-chat here on AW, but my instincts tell you that you might be well served not somuch by "short fiction," but instead by short-burst fiction (which isn't exactly a genre, but still).

To this end, a couple titles you may wanna look into...

For short story collections, check out Lorrie Moore's Self-Help.

As for a novel, Mary Robison's Why Did I Ever.

Both works race a reader in & out of scenes in a hurry - the short burst. You're allowed to fragment your time as a writer - long stretches of time before the computer are not rquired - sometimes all you'll need are 10 minutes to make a passage sing.

And you're right - you don't yet know if you can write humor. But some wise writer type once said something like "The worst thing you write is better than the best thing you didn't write."

So just let loose and see what happens.
Believe it or not, I have several books I bought outside my genre that I haven’t even taken a looksies (it’s my word).

You’re so good, Talps that you didn't even know you had a trigger finger. When you wrote, “Feed off of what you’ve written” made me think not necessarily about looking at my WIP, but looking at my possibilities. I know it doesn’t make sense, but it made sense to me.

Thanks, Talps throw me in a non-existent arena. :tongue My main problem with writing is fleshing out characters, so I probably would be good at short fiction. I’ll leave the burst to getting acquainted with a man. ;)

I don’t know who wrote this "The worst thing you write is better than the best thing you didn't write" but it’s an inspirational quote.

Or do what I do, when in need of cynical humor: watch Judge Judy.
Best damned way to start the day laughing over her jaded, rude, attacks...course, I'm certain there are better ways to spend the 5am hour.

Can you imagine, just for muse kick-starts, if Judge Judy were sitting on the bench, and the defendent was Dr. Ruth Westheimer?
Dr. Phil could be the bailiff.

I know. I'm sick. But this is funny! Anyhoo...can't write humor?
Download the Comedy Cabaret...read your posts...oh, thou writeth humor just fineth!

No, I didn't burn my tongue.
:ROFL: I almost peed. Did we not say Caution is the key to accidents?

Judge Judy is brutal. Sometimes I picture myself bitch slapping her after she told me to shut up.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
ToT, you've already gotten a lot of great advice here, and it sounds like you're inching away from the ledge, so I'll just add something that happened to me last week.

I'm in the editing phase of my first draft and trying to also think of my next project, since everyone here says you should start up on the next right away, or something like that. I've been struggling for an idea, and the ideas I've had aren't very appealing to me. I haven't written fiction in over a decade but decided that's what I want to do next, and since I can't think of anything concrete, figured I'd start with short stories. Trouble is, I hate short stories.

(*ducks*)

I know they work for a lot of people but I just don't like reading them. Why would I think I'd enjoy writing them? My cousin (also a writer) shared some advice - if you don't like to read a certain genre/length, don't waste your time because you'll struggle and most likely won't enjoy it.

From what I've seen on AW, you are very funny and therefore I voted for Humor. But it sounds like Short Humor, or Talps' bursty-thing, might work for you. Start off with a rant, give it a sarcastic twist, then step back and see what you've got. Worse case - you've written something.

Good luck. :)

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I haven't written fiction in over a decade but decided that's what I want to do next, and since I can't think of anything concrete, figured I'd start with short stories. Trouble is, I hate short stories.

(*ducks*)

I know they work for a lot of people but I just don't like reading them. Why would I think I'd enjoy writing them? My cousin (also a writer) shared some advice - if you don't like to read a certain genre/length, don't waste your time because you'll struggle and most likely won't enjoy it.

From what I've seen on AW, you are very funny and therefore I voted for Humor. But it sounds like Short Humor, or Talps' bursty-thing, might work for you. Start off with a rant, give it a sarcastic twist, then step back and see what you've got. Worse case - you've written something.

Good luck. :)
I’ll have to duck with you because I don’t read short stories either. As far as writing a genre I don’t read, I guess I’m leaning towards it because it fits more of my writing style. My plot moves fast in my WIP where I fail when it comes to fleshing out the characters.

:D I’m sitting here right now trying to think of a short humor, so I think I’ll take you’re advice with a rant. :Thumbs:

Yous peoples are awesomeness.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Due to my head feeling like it is in a vice right now... I am going to keep this short and to the point. I'll kick your butt if you "give up" writing. There's my two cents. Now I'm heading back to bed.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
I just voted for humor. What else can you do in Chi-Town when it gets wet/windy/snowy/sleety/too hot/too cold/too humid/too dry? (pick one or all). I'm in Pine, Arizona, well north of Phoenix and am now watching the skies dump sleet/rain/snow (pick one or all) and can think of nothing but the humor inherent thinking of people out slogging into the malls, elbowing other shoppers aside, coping with overworked and underpaid clerks while doing their Christmas shopping while I'm home, safe and warm sipping on an Irish coffee.

Perfect time to write. Just back up to a mirror and kick yourself, metaphorically of course, in the keister.

Status
Not open for further replies.