Howard's in Fido Friendly!

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
What a thrill! I just received my contributor copies to Fido Friendly, and a personal essay about a trip with my hound Howard is on pg. 82 (that's the Spring 2005 issue, just in case you want to check it out).

Glee! Happiness! Joy!

Oh wait...they spelled my last name wrong!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yay, Howard!! :snoopy: Yay, Rose!! :thankyou:

Ack to the name spelling checker person ... :Smack:

But congrats! It's still sooo cool to have that copy in your hands, huh?? :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little bummed about the name, and absolutely overjoyed for Howard. His modeling career's been a little slow lately, but the article included two pictures of him. He's so excited about it he decided to take a nap.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hurray for Rose and Howard!

Gotta love a photogenic hound.

Not like MY dog, who was just busted at the neighbor's house in the middle of the night, stealing her dog's dish full of leftovers off the porch.

We found her dog's dish in my hedge. Empty.

He's such a thug. No wonder he's getting fat. And now I have to go outside and figure out how he's letting himself out of his dog run.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Lol, Mac. We used to have a dog that brought home everything the neighbors didn't tie down, like saddle blankets, boots, dog food bags and bowls, etc. Good luck catching your escape artist/thief!

Cool, Rose, that Howard's picture is in the article, too! That's really awesome.
Sorry they spelled your name wrong, though. That is a bummer. :Hug2:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
*sigh* But they expect US to get the editors' names right. Still, very cool, Rose. :D

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
. Not like MY dog, who was just busted at the neighbor's house in the middle of the night, stealing her dog's dish full of leftovers off the porch.

We found her dog's dish in my hedge. Empty.
I like your dog's style, MacAllister!

If it makes you feel any better, last Thanksgiving Howard balanced on his back legs to reach a countertop, then plowed his slobbery jowls into an apple pie.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Rose--it would make me feel better...it really would...except I walked in on Pippin a couple of Thanksgivings ago--up on the counter. All four legs. Like a damn cat.

Pumpkin pie? Gone. All of it.

Howard must try harder, if he wants "BADdog" points.

*sigh*

Thankfully, it seems to be limited to food issues. I don't have to return the neighbor's shoes and horse tack.

So Anne's dog was worse. I take some comfort, there...

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
And all this time I decried Howard as a willful and disobedient beast, when he's actually a saint (by comparison, and only if we use the term very loosely). Your dog Pippin and Anne's dog have him beat...paws down!

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
See? Howard IS a saint. And handsome, besides... Go give the big slobbery beast a hug. <g>

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
It gets sadder. We also had to make weekly trips around the neighborhood returning all the dog toys that our collector brought home. When I think about those poor pooches without their toys...sigh.

I wonder if the folks who eventually begged us until we let him go home with them ever had to apologize to their neighbors. Boy, I hope so!! hehehe. But hey, it's great story fodder. ;)

Pumpkin and apple pies. Who knew they were doggie favs? lol

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Shadow

Think Shadow has everyone beat--he's the turkey-eating lab of my family. Ate the whole turkey raw (think I mentioned this in another thread . . . ) after he opened the refrigerator. Next day (didn't mention this part) he jumped the fence, knocked over the neighbor's garbadge can and ate their turkey neck, heart and gizzard. How do I know? He came in and promptly threw it up on the new living room carpet.
Heh. Love that dog. They aren't any fun if they are totally good, are they?;)
I am happy for you and Howard! Don't sweat the name thing---you'll have plenty more at the rate you are going!

Last edited:

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
My little bread thief :)

And I thought my 25 lb marshmallow cat Max is bad :) ; every time I leave the bread or bagels out he takes a large bite, even if the meat is right beside. Sigh!

Chacounne

PS: Congratulations Rose and Howard ! Many more to come we hope.

Last edited:

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Your CAT is 25 lbs? That is one big cat! Still, I'm sure Max is a sweetie pie, a sweetie pie with a penchant for bagels.

It's no wonder we all love writing about our pets. You can't make this stuff up!

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Max, My Marshmallow

Yeah, Max is one of a kind, that's for sure. You should see the looks he gives the dogs who live upstairs :) We live in a basement suite, and our upstairs neighbours have three dogs; two fox terriers and a large lab/Australian healer cross. The other day everyone was in the yard when Max came around the corner of the house in to the yard. Tally (the lab/healer) bounced up to him with and "asked" him to play. Max looked at him with distain, "I am a cat, I don't play with mere dogs." Tally tried to convince him a few more times to play with her, then Max, without so much as backward look, walked right past everyone in the back door, while Tally still tried to figure out what she had done wrong. Poor Tally!

Of course, all three of our cats know that they own us, but we wouldn't have it any other way :)

Chacounne

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Rose! I saw a copy of Fido Friendly at a newstand yesterday! Your story was great, and boy, is that Howard photogenic. :) Thanks for telling us about it.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Anne!

Howard is such a great dog...except for this weekend. I had a big St. Pat's party, and during the festivities Howard escaped out the front door. We found him a couple blocks away, still wearing his shamrock antennas!

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Boy, I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of diet Dr. Pepper because it would have ended up spewed all over the computer screen when I read your post! I can just see Howard in his shamrock antennas. :ROFL: Glad you got him home safely!

hehehehe......

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Well I like dogs too.

:snoopy: I liked the comment about the dog getting the dog food dish. Dogs are like that and I found a way to get them to eat dog food and you put the food in the trash can and say to them. "Now don't be eating out of the trash." Sit back and watch and see if they don't do it. I have a dog that grins at you and acts really silly if he thinks he is in trouble. He curls his lips back and pokes out his tongue because he watched me put in my false teeth as a puppy. I have another one that gets real pissed off when you spray him for fleas. Dogs are something and so are cats.