Request for Partial During Exclusive Period?

Metis

spreading the word
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.malcolmmatthews.ca
I could use some advice.
I told an agency they could have a six-week exclusive on a partial.
Another agency contacted me during that time via email with a request for a partial.
How do I respond to the second agency? (The six weeks runs out in another week or two.)
All advice greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Don't say anything. Just send it in at the end of the exclusive period. They won't notice. Trust me. A week is like two minutes in the Agenting world.

The problem with letting them know you'll send it at the end of an exclusive is that they know they will only get it if someone else has passed. You don't want to start on a negative note.

And I would not grant exclusives on partial . . . but that's a whole other can of worms.;)

Metis

spreading the word
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.malcolmmatthews.ca
Maprilynne,
Thanks for the advice. I believe you about a week being like two minutes for an agent. But does that apply to email correspondence as well? (The agent sent me a one-sentence email request for the partial. I feel compelled to reply, but I'll hold off if you're sure.)
Thanks again!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Really. Hold off. And. Never. Grant. Excusives. On. Partials.
All you have to say is you have other Fulls and Partials out, but you'll let them know if you have an offer and give them an opportunity to respond.