PDA

View Full Version : Question on textbooks

heyjude
12-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Hubby is interested in writing a textbook (to be used in colleges/universities). I'm in fiction myself, so I have no idea how one would go about a textbook.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/anything to throw my way? Do you still go through an agent w/a proposal like regular NF?

Thanks so much for any advice!

andrewhollinger
12-08-2007, 01:07 AM
I would start by checking out the websites for textbook companies (Houghton Mifflin, Glencoe, etc.)

Look for the contact information or whether there is submission guidelines.

SHBueche
12-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Since your husband wants to write a textbook for a college audience, I am assuming he has an area of expertise. I would start by conducting an online search for textbook publishers within that particular field. Also, check out Facts on File (factsonfile.com). No, he definitely does not need an agent. Also, search through older threads in the AW nonfiction, there are many questions devoted to textbook writing.

heyjude
12-08-2007, 03:40 AM
Thank you so much!

sgunelius
12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Palgrave Macmillan also publishes textbooks, and they have a division for books for the graduate level/professionals.

heyjude
12-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks Tripletsmom!

Um, triplets? Really? God bless you!

Tish Davidson
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Some textbook companies contract out various chapters to different ghostwriters. He might inquire about those opportunities. Often the person who is named as "author" didn't actually do the writing. I've had textbook ghosting jobs that paid very well.

LC123
12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi, I recently finished my first college textbook, and it rolls out next week. A major textbook house published it. I got the contract by sending them a query letter, same as with any book. If you have a good idea they'll jump all over you. In fact, getting the contract was the easy part. Writing and illustrating it (it was very art-intensive) was the hard part. Hardest thing academically I've ever done.

talkwrite
12-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey, heyjude; I am the acquisitions editor for a series of textbooks for a British publishing company. LC123 is right and I enjoy jumping all over good writers with good queries/proposals. Tell hubby to be well researched on the market for his topic- is it being taught and where and what other books on the same subject are out there and how do those authors line up credential wise with him. Those are the first considerations the publisher will have.
Otherwise I like to add that for writers, the royalties are great vengeance for the high prices we paid for our own college text books....