I didn't enter to win...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I entered to see if I was good enough, and to conquer that forever niggling voice encouraging me to quit writing.

I'd entered my book into the 15th Annual Writer's Digest International Self-Publishing Book Awards earlier this year.

What really sold me on this contest was that the applicant would receive a critique on their book by the judges--judges that were editors, agents, publishers...people truly embedded in this crazy business.

Didn't hear anything...figured, well, that's it, I suck.

Today's mail brought this: :hooray:(omitting the usual salutations)

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 meaning "poor" and 5 meaning "excellent," please evaluate the following:

Plot: 4
Grammar: 5 (ha!)
Character development: 4
Cover design: 4

Judge's Commentary:
What did you like best about this book?
Shadows of The Keeper has a hook that will make it accessible to a wide audience, including those who do not normally read in the fantasy genre. Namely, it features a heroine from our own time and world, which allows readers to be introduced to a fanstasy world along with the character while still being able to have an element of the novel that is rooted in the famiiar, an element to fall back on. The pacing of the novel is very strong, and Emily is a well developed character with a realistic and sometimes amusing internal elements.

How can the author improve this book?
Shadows of the Keeper is already a strong fantasy novel thanks to its fast pace and genuinely likeable lead character. At the same time, it might be helpful either in future editions of this novel or perhaps in the next one to introduce the element of the story that is most familiar to readers first. If a reader is deciding in the first few pages whether or not to commit to a book, offering them that part of the novel to which many can most easily latch onto could be helpful for bringing in more readers. Still, Shadows of The Keeper is a very inventive and likeable work, and I hope the author continues to work in the fantasy, (or perhaps historical fiction) genre.

This letter made me squeal like a stuck pig, right there in the post office lobby! I was a grinning loon!

No, I didn't place in the top nine. They won to-die-for prizes, but this letter....THIS letter is like getting a nod with a: you're on the right track, keep going.

:snoopy:

So, I just HAD to share it with all of you! And to those that believed in me, no matter that I'm self published...LOOK...LOOK...ISN'T THIS GRAND?????

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
congrats karey!

funny - that first review is pretty similar to my comments to you.
way to go!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How exciting to get such validating feedback!! Congratulations--and now go make it a straight "5". :D

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
obviously it was good. now you can make it salable. i always wondered about that contest. never had the nerve to try it. so glad you did--s6
I've been such a believer in Writer's Digest and all they have to offer for as far back as 1992 when I signed up for their mail correspondence Novel Writing workshop.
I learned much. And, submitting my work to an author/teacher helped alleviate my fears of submission.
Now, if I see Jenna's written an ariticle, I send for that magazine (they don't carry it at this particular base).

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Way to go Karey. I can only imagine the hoots-n-hollering when you read the mail. That's a big accomplishment and I look forward to big accomplishments in the future.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Congrats Karey. You're wonderful and so is your writing!:hooray:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I entered to see if I was good enough, and to conquer that forever niggling voice encouraging me to quit writing.

Sounds like you got your answer AND conquered that niggling voice.
Congratulations and good luck with the book.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Congrats, Inked! This would be enough validation to keep me going, and I'd make copies, and I'd frame them, and I'd put one in every room, and I'd send it out as my Christmas cards, and...

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go! Validation for being on the right track!