PDA

View Full Version : That's it--I'm hacking into the Mod Room.

Akuma
12-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Too long, my brothers and sisters, we have lain under the thumb of these god-like mods, fat and complacent in their ivory towers.

It's time for change!
It's time to give the power back to the people!
Let the revolution begin!

Man in Black
12-07-2007, 04:39 AM
The user Akuma will now be banned for the subsequent post and this thread deleted.

If you are wise, you will move along.

Shweta
12-07-2007, 04:44 AM
You mean the previous post, right? :D

You will not find us undefended, o hacker! We are armed with... um... :looks around:
....with arms. :nodnod:

writerterri
12-07-2007, 04:46 AM
Oooo! I wanna go!

writerterri
12-07-2007, 04:47 AM
The user Akuma will now be banned for the subsequent post and this thread deleted.

If you are wise, you will move along.

Something smells fishy.

Man in Black. *wink*

Man in Black
12-07-2007, 04:48 AM
N-no. . .I meant. . .your post. . . ?

Yes, in fact, I'm going to delete it right now. . .

Get ready. . .

Here it comes. . .

Well, t-the Man in Black has no need for proper grammar or vocabulary.

Look, folks, I'm just doing my job. Government things and the like.

*pulls out jet pack*

You'll be seeing me again.

FWWWOOOOOOSSSHHHHH!!!

Rolling Thunder
12-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Yea, thy access to the Chamber of Modliness will be denied unless thee know the secret tomes of entry: words of which no mortal of pure spirit dare utter, in mind nor speech. For this tome, twice spoken, will bust thy guts, sundering forth tears of mirth and mental images of lustful amphibians entangled in throes of passion.

Man in Black
12-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Yea, thy access to the Chamber of Modliness will be denied unless thee know the secret tomes of entry: words of which no mortal of pure spirit dare utter, in mind nor speech. For this tome, twice spoken, will bust thy guts, sundering forth tears of mirth and mental images of lustful amphibians entangled in throes of passion.

Dammit, thunder, leave me alo--

Uhh.

Yeah.

What The Great Mod Thunder said. . .

Okay, I'm really leaving this time.

FWWWOOOOSSSHHH!!!

Voyager
12-07-2007, 04:58 AM
We want the secret code to the mod chambers, RT, not your safe words.

AceTachyon
12-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Oh noes! It's the Invocation from Great R'yleh!

Run for your lives!!!

dpaterso
12-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Bribes usually work, too. We accept PayPal.

-Derek

Sarita
12-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Bribes usually work, too. We accept PayPal.
I have it on good authority that some mods will accept pie.

Kidney pie...

billythrilly7th
12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
You'll never get in the room.

But FYI...if you do Advanced Search and put your name in and search the mod room you will be able to see everything everyone has said about you in the mod room.

That's how I stay on top of things.

But since I've now said this, I'd give it 12-24 hours before that security breach is patched up.

So have at it.
:)

Voyager
12-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Wow, I've never seen the word "bitch" used so often and in so many creative ways in my life!

You'll never get in the room.

But FYI...if you do Advanced Search and put your name in and search the mod room you will be able to see everything everyone has said about you in the mod room.

That's how I stay on top of things.

But since I've now said this, I'd give it 12-24 hours before that security breach is patched up.

So have at it.
:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Ooohhhooohoho! No! I KNOW how to get access! You must say the words... and I will not say the words! They cannae make me say the words!

Don't fall for it!

It's a trick!

maestrowork
12-07-2007, 05:26 AM
There is so such a thing as mod room.

I do like pecan pies.

billythrilly7th
12-07-2007, 05:29 AM
There is so such a thing as mod room.

Don't let him fool ya. In the Mod contract available at smokinggun.com...

Rule #1: Don't talk about the mod room.
Rule #2: Don't talk about the mod room.

Cath
12-07-2007, 05:31 AM
**sniff** I know I'm a little curvy, but that was uncalled for, don'tcha think?

:cry:

Stew21
12-07-2007, 05:33 AM
I started a thread a long time ago about the things overheard in the mod room.
They denied and denied there was such a place.
The speculation got too close to the truth, because the very next week, months of AW posts were lost for good.

They went to that level to hide the truth. They conspired to keep it a secret and would go to those lengths to keep it.

I'm afraid to even think what would happen if you went so far as to break in.

All I had to do was mention the-room-that-doesn't-exist-ahem and bam - they turned the place upside-down to hide what I'd revealed.

You've been warned.

Kadea
12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
I have the reinforcements!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/transport023.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Haggis
12-07-2007, 06:56 AM
*trots out from the mod room munching on a shrimp cocktail*

Mod room? There ain't no stinkin' mod room.

Dawno
12-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Who took my shrimp cocktail? At least nobody's gotten into the Prime Rib yet.

Kadea
12-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Did ya know that dogs have fatal shell fish allergies?

Haggis
12-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Did ya know that dogs have fatal shell fish allergies?

That's just a nasty rumor spread by sea creatures.

Haggis
12-07-2007, 07:09 AM
That's just a nasty rumor spread by sea creatures.

eta: Pass the sushi, will ya, Dawno?

SpookyWriter
That's just a nasty rumor spread by sea creatures.Maybe so, but I ain't spreading none of that on my white bread toast.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
Nothing good can come of this. Nothing, I tell you.

Nothing.

Kadea
12-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Nemo Sushi is the best!
http://blogs.sun.com/sbullen/resource/nemodesushi.jpg

SpookyWriter
12-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Nothing.Ha! They just set my clock back an hour so I can sleep in late tomorrow.

Foinah
12-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Too long, my brothers and sisters, we have lain under the thumb of these god-like mods, fat and complacent in their ivory towers.

It's time for change!
It's time to give the power back to the people!
Let the revolution begin!

I just might smite you for that FAT comment. Ha! But yes, I might feel a bit god-like at times. Like Gandalf I say, "You shall not pass." The ivory tower is cloaked (if it even existed that is)....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

SpookyWriter
12-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I just might smite you for that FAT comment. Ha! But yes, I might feel a bit god-like at times. Like Gandalf I say, "You shall not pass." The ivory tower is cloaked (if it even existed that is)....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!Oh yeah, but you're not a real mod so there...pffffttt.

gift shop mods don't count. hahhahaaa...

BarbJ
12-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Psssst! We gather at dawn on the north shore. Bring bayonets. And a silver bullet for Haggis.

What? We ain't doing nothin'. This ... this is just my back scratcher. Geesh, what a bunch of paranoids.

*whistles innocently while strolling through the sand in combat boots*

III
12-07-2007, 08:08 AM
I actually prefer to be called "fat and sassy" rather than "fat and complacent".

Foinah
12-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh yeah, but you're not a real mod so there...pffffttt.

gift shop mods don't count. hahhahaaa...

A gift shop you'll never access..........

Birol
12-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Did you just call the mods impure?

I started a thread a long time ago about the things overheard in the mod room.
They denied and denied there was such a place.
The speculation got too close to the truth, because the very next week, months of AW posts were lost for good.

They went to that level to hide the truth. They conspired to keep it a secret and would go to those lengths to keep it.

I'm afraid to even think what would happen if you went so far as to break in.

All I had to do was mention the-room-that-doesn't-exist-ahem and bam - they turned the place upside-down to hide what I'd revealed.

You've been warned.

Yes. And?

Joe270
12-07-2007, 09:31 AM
From what I've heard, you wouldn't want to go into the mod room.

They haven't cleaned the place in years. The fridge had stuff growing in it, and the sink was even worse. That scared the mods, so they nailed the door to the kitchen shut.

It's sorta like walking into a spicy bean burrito farting contest, 'cept that no one wins.

Salem
12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
The evening crew seems a little aggressive.

~Salem, who's usually only logged on in the morning.

MidnightMuse
12-07-2007, 09:33 AM
REVOLUTION!!!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR!
ANARCHY!
What smells in here? Oh, this is where they keep the ponies.

*hops on Bigwheel, peddles angrily down the sidewalk dragging mistletoe*

Joe270
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Wait! Wait! That's not your mistletooooooooooeee!

benbradley
12-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Something exceedingly strange is going on here. There were two "new" posters that I refrained from mentioning because, well, don't the rules forbid one to discuss banned members.

But now I see no banned members. They show up in some Hot and Heavy thread, and I see both ID's here...

Did the mods ban them to make them go home for dinner? I'm trying to understand here...

kristie911
12-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I actually prefer to be called "fat and sassy" rather than "fat and complacent".

Just tell people you're built for pleasure, not for speed. ;)

kristie911
12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
They haven't cleaned the place in years. The fridge had stuff growing in it, and the sink was even worse. That scared the mods, so they nailed the door to the kitchen shut.

I think you've gotten the mod kitchen confused with the HOL hot tub room. :)

Joe270
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Nope. I've never been into the HOL.

I'd rather not fall in love, it sticks to your clothes.

Rolling Thunder
12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Something exceedingly strange is going on here. There were two "new" posters that I refrained from mentioning because, well, don't the rules forbid one to discuss banned members.

But now I see no banned members. They show up in some Hot and Heavy thread, and I see both ID's here...

Did the mods ban them to make them go home for dinner? I'm trying to understand here...

They weren't tenderized enough for the cafeteria. They need to be stretched out with plenty of rope before they meet USDA standards. ;)

KTC
12-07-2007, 03:46 PM

Nothing.

Rolling Thunder
12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
That's the plan, Kevin.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Nothing.

That's what I said! Twice! Pay attention, Colonel. I know you're busy with your church an' all... wait. We both need to get out of here! There's no telling when they'll blow!

Rolling Thunder
12-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Too late. Guilt, by association.

KTC
12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
The Mods are screwing with this thread, OFG. I said it first. They flipped our posts. Nasty Moddage!

Rolling Thunder
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Just so you know, Kevin...

You're.
Not.
Real.

Jaycinth
12-07-2007, 07:06 PM
The 'Mod' room is actually that little room...yes that one back over there with the 'kitty door'.

Every cat that has ever had its pic posted on AW has 'used' that room.

However....it has never been cleaned.

***tosses keys to rabid mob of AWers***

Have fun.

Simple Living
12-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I was a mod on a Christian Forum in the past. It's a mixed bag. While it's nice to have the camaraderie of the other mods, believe me folks, it's a LOT of work! It's not pleasant having to deal with certain issues and mods usually end up taking the heat for it, regardless of who was at fault.

They keep these boards fun and interesting and all we have to do is enjoy them and behave like decent human beasts.

My only complaint is that the language that's used on the forums gets way out of hand. It gets seriously offensive. I'm sure there are teens that frequent the boards, too, and, out of a sense of responsibility, I'd like to see the forums kept at a PG-13 level outside of specific forums. Not moderating that issue is subjecting the rest of us to offensive behavior. That's just my preference.

C.bronco
12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Where's Ray?
http://store.telepak.net/pecanhouse/media/9214.jpg

Silver King
12-07-2007, 07:47 PM
My only complaint is that the language that's used on the forums gets way out of hand. It gets seriously offensive. I'm sure there are teens that frequent the boards, too, and, out of a sense of responsibility, I'd like to see the forums kept at a PG-13 level outside of specific forums. Not moderating that issue is subjecting the rest of us to offensive behavior. That's just my preference.
Yeah, the language can get somewhat raw at times. Keep in mind, however, that moderator does not equate to censor. Most of us here are writers with a firm grasp of language and usage. Well placed obscenities can make for a powerful message. I believe cursing should be used sparingly, though not because it might cause offense but rather lose its meaning if overused.

And those teens who frequent the forums that we try to shelter are exposed to far worse in the real world than a few "bad words" they may read here.

auntybug
12-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Well placed obscenities can make for a powerful message. I believe cursing should be used sparingly, though not because it might cause offense but rather lose its meaning if overused.

Very well %$#@ing said SK!

auntybug....has had too much coffee today.....

Jaycinth
12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
...By diddlie dinghies, Auntie Bug...such doodly strong language!

You might want to twinklie winklie put a happy dappy ol' muzzle on those yodels!

Gosh!!!!

Oh...and that banana best not be nekkid!

KTC
12-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Just so you know, Kevin...

You're.
Not.
Real.

I wish you wouldn't make statements like this. It will take me at least 6 weeks to prove you wrong...or right as the case may be...and I will be driven batty by the insane struggle to prove my own existence. You're a bastard. A bloody bastard.

III
12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Where's Ray?
http://store.telepak.net/pecanhouse/media/9214.jpg

Are you saying you killed Ray and baked him into a pie, Cynthia Lecter?

KTC
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
post no pie. how crude!

Shadow_Ferret
12-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Ya know, it amazes me how many of the mods used to be just normal people I could call friends. Then they all became ambitious, didn't care who they stepped on in their overzealous ascent to be promoted, and here I am, still a peon. Alone. Friendless. Not a mod.

ETA: :D

Jean Marie
12-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Ya know, it amazes me how many of the mods used to be just normal people I could call friends. Then they all became ambitious, didn't care who they stepped on in their overzealous ascent to be promoted, and here I am, still a peon. Alone. Friendless. Not a mod.

ETA: :D
Yup, the world of corporate message boarding, Shadow. The power of greed and all that it encompasses. Shameless.

Silver, I appreciate your missive on appropriate swearing. Some of the teens, as you said, are exposed to far worse in rl. Besides, it's used way less than it used to be when the thingie was initially turned off. It was Mac's decision to do so, she being the owner of AW, and it only comes up in passionate writing situations when it's called for, as far as I can tell.

Thank you.

Jaycinth
12-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Someone sparklie Mr. Ferret!!! STAT!

C.bronco
12-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Are you saying you killed Ray and baked him into a pie, Cynthia Lecter?
No, he was taking pie bribes, but I might kill his pants and make them into brownies.

Simple Living
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the language can get somewhat raw at times. Keep in mind, however, that moderator does not equate to censor. Most of us here are writers with a firm grasp of language and usage. Well placed obscenities can make for a powerful message. I believe cursing should be used sparingly, though not because it might cause offense but rather lose its meaning if overused.

And those teens who frequent the forums that we try to shelter are exposed to far worse in the real world than a few "bad words" they may read here.

I see where you're coming from and it may just turn out to be that we disagree. People scream censorship when it's not the case. It's not censorship to scream FIRE! in a movie theatre. Having rules and guidelines in place are not infringing on anyone's rights and censoring them. Workplaces have rules, life has rules. Without them we couldn't have any order. From what I've seen of the language that's allowed on AW, anything goes.

If, as you say, "Most of us here are writers with a firm grasp of language and usage," you're missing the posts I'm talking about. I'm not talking about a few posts with "well placed" obscenities. I'm talking about offensive, insulting, vulgarities that exist here simply because they're allowed to do it and they know it. It's not the responsible use of it that your post states.

My personal opinion, stated bluntly, is that a public forum naturally assumes a responsibility to the public who uses the internet. The teens who come here may be exposed to worse than language, but forums don't need to contribute more to it. In order not to "censor" or offend those who use obscenities willy-nilly, it infringes on those of us who don't. This is why political correctness is hypocritical. If you stop people from swearing, you risk offending them. By not regulating the language, you risk offending everyone else. So, since those who use obscenities tend to be more vocal about their "rights", they're the ones catered to.

Duncan J Macdonald
12-07-2007, 10:48 PM
<snip>
My personal opinion, stated bluntly, is that a public forum naturally assumes a responsibility to the public who uses the internet.

What about personal responsibility? Do I, for example, have the responsibility to not re-visit alt.rabid.furry.sex.flonk-flonk-flonk once I discover that they post in the most lurid form that the language can provide? Or does nastycheerleadersjust18.com have to conform to my rather less virulent desires?

The internet is very much a caveat emptor environment, and those who wend their weary way through the mire need to keep their wits about them. That there are all types of sites, ranging from the angellic to the satanic, from the pure to the puerile, from fandom to wankdom: that's what makes the internet great.

The teens who come here may be exposed to worse than language, but forums don't need to contribute more to it.

The worst of what I've see on this site (over in Take It Outside and in the Current Events and Politics threads) is mild compared to the inter-teen conversations that I overhear in the malls. While a single straw can break a camel's back, this particular camel is made of titanium.

In order not to "censor" or offend those who use obscenities willy-nilly, it infringes on those of us who don't.

And vice-versa.

This is why political correctness is hypocritical. If you stop people from swearing, you risk offending them. By not regulating the language, you risk offending everyone else. So, since those who use obscenities tend to be more vocal about their "rights", they're the ones catered to.
Political Correctness needs no justification other than itself to be hypocritical.

We'll end up agreeing to disagree, but forced regulation of the language, in any way, is doubleplusungood.

Jaycinth
12-07-2007, 11:38 PM
*puts on serious face*

I have a younger teen who visits here on occasion. I have not seen anything that I really, particularly want to protect her from. She knows to stay away from TIO except the 'Hairy Banana Pit Ham Sammich Heaven..' & she isn't allowed into erotica....

...and...well...

She says that what she sees on AW is PG13 compared to what goes on...is said in her HS. She has yet to point out a post that she finds particularily offending. She has pointed out those that she thinks are patently ridiculous...usually those are some dweebie jerk trying to be offensive, but in reality on the express to bannation.

SIGH::::::peace.

....."save us from the people who would save us from ourselves".... Gang of Four

Akuma
12-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Whatever the case, I believe we can all agree that minds were blown here today.

Shadow_Ferret
12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
She has pointed out those that she thinks are patently ridiculous...usually those are some dweebie jerk...

Hey! I've never called you or your daughter any names! Why the flame?

Wow, you're just a meanie.

:tongue

tallus83
12-08-2007, 01:16 AM
If no one is going to tell me the codes to enter the Mod's secret room, then I'm not going to tell you the hack to bypass them. So there.....

cray
12-08-2007, 01:19 AM
this is what you'll see if you get into the mod room
http://alexansary.com/assets/images/man_hamster_wheel_lg_nwm.gif

haggis, on duty.

Kadea
12-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah... and you're holding the coffee that he's running for...

Silver King
12-08-2007, 02:09 AM
...I'm not talking about a few posts with "well placed" obscenities. I'm talking about offensive, insulting, vulgarities that exist here simply because they're allowed to do it and they know it. It's not the responsible use of it that your post states...
I've seen my fair share of those as well. There is a hazy line present that most members who have been here a while understand they shouldn't cross, in particular when it comes to insulting each other. In this forum, as long as everyone gets along, I really don't care what folks talk about. That doesn't mean "anything goes," but it's pretty darn close.

Believe it or not, some things are not tolerated on this board:

Ethnic and religious and gay bashing
Nude images
Threads aimed at individual members that read more like PMs
Rep sharing threads (except ORPCC)
Spam

There are several more, but those fall under judgment calls made by the moderator when evaluating individual threads. For example, sexual topics are allowed as long as they don't veer into pornography.

For the most part, the members who post here are allowed to set their own parameters of decency and do a fine job of ensuring discussions don't stray too far over the top.

...If you stop people from swearing, you risk offending them. By not regulating the language, you risk offending everyone else. So, since those who use obscenities tend to be more vocal about their "rights", they're the ones catered to.
There is a common misconception that members here have a right to anything. This is a privately owned message board, and the US Constitution simply does not apply here. People can expect certain privileges, such as the privilege to express ideas and engage in discussions and ask for advice and hone their writing skills. Beyond common courtesy and the expectation of being treated fairly, no Bill of Rights exist to prove a point when we feel wronged.

One privilege I have always protected, even at my own peril, is that the members who visit this forum can talk about whatever they want, within reason, of course. This is not to say that I favor every thread here, or that I am particularly fond of some of the topics raised; but I'll be damned if I'll be the one to ever force my views on the community at large merely because I'm not comfortable with certain subjects, or perhaps the language is off color and might offend those of a more delicate nature.

I can't expect everyone to share my perception of tolerance, but my will won't be bent to meet anyone else's expectations, either.

Akuma
12-08-2007, 02:14 AM
One word:

Teddy.

;)

writerterri
12-08-2007, 02:15 AM
One word:

Teddy.

;)

Shhhhh!

SpookyWriter
12-08-2007, 02:16 AM
So I can post a new thread about stool samples?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7sZkHg67nygaSM:http://themagazine.info/56/Pictures/Classicon/Bar%2520Stool%2520No1Two.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://themagazine.info/56/Pictures/Classicon/Bar%2520Stool%2520No1Two.jpg&imgrefurl=http://themagazine.info/products/-/214.html&h=386&w=340&sz=85&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=7sZkHg67nygaSM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbar%2Bstools%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%2 6hl%3Den)

Akuma
12-08-2007, 02:24 AM

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7sZkHg67nygaSM:http://themagazine.info/56/Pictures/Classicon/Bar%2520Stool%2520No1Two.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://themagazine.info/56/Pictures/Classicon/Bar%2520Stool%2520No1Two.jpg&imgrefurl=http://themagazine.info/products/-/214.html&h=386&w=340&sz=85&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=7sZkHg67nygaSM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbar%2Bstools%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%2 6hl%3Den)

I don't see why not.

And sorry for mentioning the T-word.

Probably like setting off a bomb, huh?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-08-2007, 02:33 AM
For those who missed it the first time, this deserves repeating:

I've seen my fair share of those as well. There is a hazy line present that most members who have been here a while understand they shouldn't cross, in particular when it comes to insulting each other. In this forum, as long as everyone gets along, I really don't care what folks talk about. That doesn't mean "anything goes," but it's pretty darn close.

Believe it or not, some things are not tolerated on this board:

Ethnic and religious and gay bashing
Nude images
Threads aimed at individual members that read more like PMs
Rep sharing threads (except ORPCC)
Spam

There are several more, but those fall under judgment calls made by the moderator when evaluating individual threads. For example, sexual topics are allowed as long as they don't veer into pornography.

For the most part, the members who post here are allowed to set their own parameters of decency and do a fine job of ensuring discussions don't stray too far over the top.

There is a common misconception that members here have a right to anything. This is a privately owned message board, and the US Constitution simply does not apply here. People can expect certain privileges, such as the privilege to express ideas and engage in discussions and ask for advice and hone their writing skills. Beyond common courtesy and the expectation of being treated fairly, no Bill of Rights exist to prove a point when we feel wronged.

One privilege I have always protected, even at my own peril, is that the members who visit this forum can talk about whatever they want, within reason, of course. This is not to say that I favor every thread here, or that I am particularly fond of some of the topics raised; but I'll be damned if I'll be the one to ever force my views on the community at large merely because I'm not comfortable with certain subjects, or perhaps the language is off color and might offend those of a more delicate nature.

I can't expect everyone to share my perception of tolerance, but my will won't be bent to meet anyone else's expectations, either.

Jaycinth
12-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Do those come with softeners?