Real names in historical fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Another probably daft question from me, but...(actually I was sure there was a thread on this before but couldn't find it).

I've got an incident I want to include in my novel, as it fits in with the theme etc and gives a really good reason for my MC to get involved in things. It's also something that's not all that well known about, basically a court case in the assizes.

The defendant in that case is really well known and so I'm not concerned about using his real name. He admitted to the case in his own book. However, I also have the names of the two prominent local men who obtained the writ against him. Since my MC is a lawyer it'd work in very well if the plaintiffs went to him for advice on obtaining the writ (as cases had to fit within the very specific remit of existing writs or were not actionable, and people frequently employed lawyers to give advice before going to Chancery).

So obviously these are real people but not prominent historical figures, so would there be a problem using them as characters, so you think? I know this might sound odd, since I have real people in the book, but somehow it feels different for the ordinary 'man in the street' kind of thing. Perhaps because I'm twisting the events slightly to fit in with my narrative.

My other plan, since probably no one would know the names of these men without doing some serious trawling in various archives, was to have my MC just refer to them by their first names as if he is protecting their identities (since this is in 1st person and he would be very careful not to incriminate anyone in the events he's describing). Or else I thought of referring to them as Henry B-- and John C--, or something like that.

Would that sound really stupid or am I making a fuss over nothing here? It just feels odd to kind of appropriate real people just to back up my (fictional) version of events.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
This is just a guess, but would there be any possibilty of a relative claiming slander or defamation of character?

I don't know what the time period is that you are working with, but you did mention that a person would need to do some deep research to verify the names.

I'm not quite sure what it is you want the characters to do, but this is the only thing I could think of at the moment.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
This is just a guess, but would there be any possibilty of a relative claiming slander or defamation of character?

I don't know what the time period is that you are working with, but you did mention that a person would need to do some deep research to verify the names.

I'm not quite sure what it is you want the characters to do, but this is the only thing I could think of at the moment.

This would be 17th century, which is possibly why it bothers me. If it was Ancient Rome it wouldn't feel so close to home. These men were both quite prominent in local government, both of them being offered the position of town mayor (although one refused). That just made me think that their relatives would be more likely to know about them than, say, if they'd been farm labourers.

All I really want the man to do is meet with my MC and ask him about his case, casually dropping into conversation that he was given the MC's name by a mutual friend, whom the MC hasn't heard from in ages. My MC then gets caught up with that case for a while and through it meets the plaintiff, who is a notable historical figure.

I mean, it would seem quite natural in the voice of the piece for my MC to hold the names back, even to say he was substituting different names to protect their identities. Or would that jar someone out of the narrative? Would it be better just to make up new names and leave it to anyone who wants to look up the details of the case to find out actually it wasn't Joe Bloggs, it was So-and-So?

I know this is probably an issue over nothing. It just felt 'wrong' to me to use the real names.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jess - I think the major issue is whether you cast these real people in a defamatory light. If they come across as honest, hard working citizens, I don't think you'd have any issues with possibilities of slander.

In my novel, all but five of the characters are real people who are not recorded in history. The novel is set in the early 1800's. I've had a few qualms on the same issue, but, I've stuck to the known facts about the characters and not taken many liberties. My feeling is there's a much more likely chance a descendant will be tickled to find great uncle Remus in a novel than upset to see him portrayed as the backwoodsman he was. Puma

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Great point, Puma! I too always worry about angering decendants of minor characters, but I never stopped to think that they might just be delighted to see an ancestor in the book. I know I would be! As long as you don't villify the historical figures or have them doing something inappropriate to their characters, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

Although I do like the idea of using something like Henry B-- and John C--. Based on other things that you've posted, I think a notation like this would be in keeping with your writing style.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I may be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure you can't slander a dead person (legally). That is to say, claims for libel and slander are brought on the basis of damages. But since the dead person's dead, there can be no damages. I wouldn't worry about it.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I think Puma made an excellent point. Descendants may even be flattered.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
It's a well known...

useage, the John A and Tom B device, and it sounds like a lawyer protecting his clients too!

andrewhollinger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewhollinger.com
I think you've probably got enough advice. But I just wanted to remind you that there is a long tradition of writing true-ish stories about real people. In the movie Cinderella Man, the bad guy, Bear, was cast as a nasty person more for effect than for real life information. His family got upset, but that was all.

Also, if it is researchable, then it is probably public record. Things that are in the public record are clear. You can talk about someone's crimes, accomplishments, lifestlye if it is part of some public record.

I would say that if there is a circumstance in the book where you would NEED to include first and last name, go for it. But nobody address someone by their full name in dialogue.

I think you're fine.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I never actually thought of the relatives being flattered, but that's a good point. The two men are actually the 'good guys' for their small part in the story, so hopefully nothing defamatory there.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I may be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure you can't slander a dead person (legally). That is to say, claims for libel and slander are brought on the basis of damages. But since the dead person's dead, there can be no damages. I wouldn't worry about it.

That's exactly what my lawyer told me when I asked him the same question.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
The only place where one can slander another and get away with it is in the House of Commons - Parliament- where the laws of slander do not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.