Historical Series Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm looking for some advice. I work full time in an architectural office, and run around like a mad thing the rest of the time juggling writing with drama, singing, and keeping my family sane.
I just finished Nano (51,200 words :D) and based it on a prequel to a historical series I've been planning. I found out two or three disturbing things.
1. I need to do a lot more research. I knew this one already, which was the main reason I just wrote the prequel as opposed to starting the actual book.
2. I don't have time to do the kind of research I need to do. I also don't have the finances to buy the books - especially if I were to go part-time to enable myself to research.
3. I need to go to France. Not disturbing in and of itself, but a little hard to manage on my salary.
Do any of you other Historical Writers out there have some tips on how to juggle research and writing with the rest of life?

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked into online research libraries like JSTOR or Questia? They're not free but won't be as expensive as a trip to France.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
If you want time enough to write and do research ...
give your TV away to a charitable organization,
assuming you have not already done so.

If you need research books ...
Arrange reading privileges at the local university library.
Look into inter-library loan through your public library.

France ...

Read contemporary writing.

If you have specific questions ...
Insert [brackets] and make it up.
When you get to the final draft,
ask.
A surprising number of people are willing to go out and look for you and tell you specific things.

Last edited:

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
BardSkye: I do a lot of online research, and I am planning to join JSTOR (thanks for reminding me!) Unfortunately, as my period interests are both diverse and obscure, not everything I need to know is readily available.
And i do need to go to France.
job: Thank you for the hints. I don't have a TV, and I live in a place where the local university library is not exactly comprehensive.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the series it'd be a bit hard to make up everything I don't know. But that trick will work for some things, so thanks for suggesting it! :)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
BardSkye: I do a lot of online research, and I am planning to join JSTOR (thanks for reminding me!) Unfortunately, as my period interests are both diverse and obscure, not everything I need to know is readily available.
And i do need to go to France.
job: Thank you for the hints. I don't have a TV, and I live in a place where the local university library is not exactly comprehensive.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the series it'd be a bit hard to make up everything I don't know. But that trick will work for some things, so thanks for suggesting it! :)

What is your historical period? I might be able to recommend sources or might even have a few myself, as I have studied some parts of French history, both for my course at university and for my current WIP.

JessR

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
1790s-1840s, Emphasis mostly on the early part of the 19th century. I would appreciate any recommendations, as I am still collating a list of sources.
The series is focused on two men who start out in the bagnes of Brest, and end up in the Surete. So my major knowledge gaps include convict culture, life in the bagnes, army life, and other such subjects.
I have already gleaned some knowledge of Vidocq himself, as well as argot.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
If you want time enough to write and do research ...
give your TV away to a charitable organization,
assuming you have not already done so.

Although I have spent many periods of my life w/o television, having one and watching it isn't inherently evil nor does it mean that you can't or won't write and research. All it takes is a little responsibility and old-fashioned work ethic and self-control

If you need research books ...
Arrange reading privileges at the local university library.

Unfortunatly many of us live well away from any local university and driving distances are far enough that an overnight stay would be required.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I live in a place where the local university library is not exactly comprehensive.

Your university library will, perhaps, be able to borrow specific volumes from other libraries.

You might look into this, anyway.

Why -- just asking here, not being argumentative -- do you have to go to France?
I mean, it's good to go over the actual ground, but ...

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
1790s-1840s, Emphasis mostly on the early part of the 19th century. I would appreciate any recommendations, as I am still collating a list of sources.
The series is focused on two men who start out in the bagnes of Brest, and end up in the Surete. So my major knowledge gaps include convict culture, life in the bagnes, army life, and other such subjects.
I have already gleaned some knowledge of Vidocq himself, as well as argot.

My very first attempt at a historical novel was set in the same period in France, so I'm trying to remember some of the sources I had. One thing that I do remember someone recommended was reading Balzac, for his attention to detail.

Another book that I have seen come up in second hand shops a lot is Europe Since Napoleon by David Thompson, for general political background to the period. Amazon UK has that for £1.97. I would imagine, since your period covers the end of the revolution, there would be a few books available, hopefully not too expensive.

If you read French, there are a lot of articles on Jstor, although most of those on Vidocq seem to be literary comparisons, probably discussing his influence on Victor Hugo, I would imagine. French Wikipedia is also tends to have a lot more detail on French history / places than the English version but again, you have to read it in French. I had to do that for a lot of research on the parlements as the English one was scant to say the least.

Another potential source that I used were the towns themselves. I wrote to the tourist information office in the towns and asked for historical information (this was in the days before email) and they sent a whole load of things, including a programme for their son et lumiere show, which was particularly helpful.

There are other journal sites besides Jstor although most of them will require a subscription or a pay-per-article fee, but there are oxford journals online, cambridge journals online, and eighteenth century collections online - there are more but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Unfortunatly many of us live well away from any local university and driving distances are far enough that an overnight stay would be required.

I sympathize more than I can say. I spent yeeears where the closest English-language library of any kind was 8000 miles away.

I've stayed in some weird housing while I did research.
Or I'd pitch at the closest State Park.
(Cross-legged in a puptent, typing my notes up on the laptop.)

The trick is to hit the ground running and research efficiently. Xerox everything in sight. I keep meaning to hook a scanner up to the laptop.

Last edited:

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading some Balzac. It's good, and Vautrin is naturally helpful (an ex-con figure based on Vidocq for those who don't know) but Balzac doesn't really focus on the side of society that I am interested in, seeming to veer more towards a gentle satire of high society.
Thank you for the other tips. That's very helpful. i don't currently read French, but I'm planning to learn so i can access the untranslated works, such as Vidocq's Les Volours, and Henry Gisquet's memoirs.
job: Well, the entire series (looking to be about 9 books so far) is in France about French people. I have been to France for all of 2 days when I was 12. Personally, I want to actually go there and get to know the country a little before trying to take my readers there with my writing. To me, this is a necessity.
Picture work to an extent, which is what I used to reference my Nano, but to give a vibrant and believable description, I need to experience it.
This may just be a personal quirk. I don't know. -shrug-

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
i don't currently read French, but I'm planning to learn ... , the entire series (looking to be about 9 books so far) is in France about French people.

Yep. If you're basing the entire series in France, in a nitty-gritty substratum of society, then you will definitely have to visit to get a feel for the place. Learning French would be a plus.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Ah, Beyondian, I understand your quandry! Although my local libraries and charity shops were more than adequate for researching my last novel, I ran into a dead end while writing my current novel. I had to end up buying a few books, although I found great deals on used copies online. I found a number of books and photographs available free at various university online archives. I relied on the goodwill of relatives with libraries that stocked the books I needed and then just read like mad when I was visiting them. I still have a ton of holes that I need to research and go back to fill in later.

So far I haven't worked up the nerve to write about any place that I haven't lived in or at least been to for a long enough time to get a good feel for the place. So I don't have any suggestions in that quarter!

Best of luck to you!

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
job: That's what I figured. :) Not to mention it's a fantastic excuse for visiting a country I love. I want to learn French very much, and am trying to get the money together to buy a really good computer program. I realise that learning from a class would probably be better, but - well - let's just say that the hours I work are not very helpful when it comes to trying to get to classes.
I'm sorry, i had to restrain a chortle of wicked glee when I read 'nitty-gritty substratum of society'. That's it in a nutshell.
Is it obvious i'm still fanatically in love with my characters after nano?
Pastmidnight: Thanks for the sympathy! I thought it would be easier to research, but an amazingly small portion of people in NZ have so far known who the hell I'm talking about when I mention Vidocq (i.e. zero) The closest thing to my period I can find in even the largest bookstores are books about the French Revolution, and libraries aren't great cop either.
I think I need to move somewhere where there are bigger libraries.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Loud indignant snort!

G'day, mate, whadya mean you can't get stuff in NZ? And you a Kiwi too! The uni libraries in NZ interloan internationally. Have you tried The National Archives? Get yourself a ticket as researcher and you can find out heaps. I'm just reading a thesis by a Victoria Uni lass, done in NZ, on original material, in my novel's 17thC English village!

Several of our 2nd hand book shops have an internet presence and they also link into the abe.ca online book selling group. They will find you anything! I know for they have for me. I always check the book with the cost of the wwwthebookdepository.co.uk as they don't charge postage to NZ, but their books are a little more expensive. It usually works out that they are the best bet when you add on postage.

Where's your kiwi ingenuity?
Get in touch with the History and French depts of the universities. People there are happy to deal with a serious researcher. And this is NZ, where most people are writing a book, so tell 'em that.

Ask the French Embassy for info re the exchange trips and cultural trips between our two countries. Someone might take you if you can be useful.

I know the universities run overseas trips for students, you might wangle yourself on one of those.

High schools do trips too. A willing helper who speaks a bit of French and wants to go to do research sounds okay to most schools. Organise a trip for your own kids' school!

Join the Youth Hostel Assoc for cheap accommodation in France and buy a cheap rail pass or Metro ticket if you're in Paris.

Get on the 'phone and ask people. Offer to e-mail if they'll give you an address. This is NZ you're talking about. People are nosy and like to chat. I've never had problems researching NZ. Don't be a whinger, think out of the square. If you really want to get this novel written you'll do it.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
I am most deeply grieved to have offended a fellow Kiwi! My apologies.
Thanks for the information. I will humbly say that in my defense, I don't have any defense.
I suppose living on a small island (not New Zealand, another small Island) has the adverse affect of causing one to get used to not having resources at your fingertips.
That's really useful advice. I'll have a check around and see what I can find. I still doubt I'll find Gisquet's memoirs, but they're pretty hard to find even on the 'net, so that's no surprise. I didn't know we interloan internationally, as I've only ever been in the university libraries as a visitor and not as a student.
Again... thanks for the help. :D And I'm sorry for not upholding our national pride.
On a related note: I don't have any kids, and do you have any tips on how to go about getting a researcher's ticket?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah well!

Ring up the Archives, they're split between Dunedin and Wellington. Ask them if they have info you might use and if so how to get a research ticket. You have to book ahead but some stuff they do have photocopies of and can send you via your library.

Remember your history. There was an attempted French settlement of South island around your dates or a little later. Akaroa Peninsular? Remember? Archives will have the bumph.

I can't see anything at the online diary resource or at Tannerritchie for you.

But if you start with the University History and French depts they should be able to give you help. I'd ring and go through that b stupid system of recorded voice and press this for that with patience. Then ask for the History Dept, can't ask for names yet as they are not allowed to give 'em. When you get the Dept secretary explain that you are researching xyz and would like to talk to the prof or fellow or lecturer or post grad students about the best book resources. When you get the real voice of the person explain very simply and quickly and ask if you may e-mail your request. Ask if there are postgrad students working in your era and if they might like to talk to you about it. Offer dinner to them! Usually works!

Also ask how you may get a uni library ticket as a serious researcher. Some unis do, some don't.

And you can still get a trip to France with a group if you go looking.

Oh and the Bookdepository has Gisquet's memoirs but in French!
Booksurge has it too in French.

Who can you chat up in French to translate for you? Put out an SOS for a bilingual speaker. There are some in NZ.

And I've just put out an SOS to the HNS research group to see what they can cough up.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Beyondian, you've got some great advice from pdr. If you do come across articles or passages that you need translated, you can always PM me as well. I'm happy to do a translation for you.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's been fantastic. I've found a lot of the material I need, which is great, and I'll be able to get started as soon as I can.
Thanks for the offer, JessRamage. :) I'll bear it in mind.
Thanks again everyone.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another Kiwi popping up with advice. I was in Christchurch a couple of years ago and I visited John Summers' bookshop - I used to haunt it when I was a student - and found it still has an awe-inspiring stock of second-hand books on just about every conceivable subject. Worth emailing to see if they have anything in your period. Sorry I can't give you an email address, I had it but have lost it. Try googling it. Oh and there's Smith's in Wellington - only mail order now I believe. Try to talk to someone at the National Library in Wellington - I always found them very helpful and knowledgeable. they may well be able to point you in the direction of libraries/bookshops/university departments that could have useful stuff. Good hunting! As far as getting to France is concerned - know how you must feel, NZ is literally as far away from France as it is possible to be! Yes, I agree it would be very helpful if you could somehow get yourself there, breathe the air, absorb the culture, architecture, the landscape. But if you just can't, don't despair. Keep working at it. Best of luck with your research (but don't let it stop you from actually getting started with the writing).

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
You probably already know this, but abebooks.com can search NZ booksellers if you are after a particular title.

Status
Not open for further replies.