Status
Not open for further replies.

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Am I correct in thinking that the pitch is the paragraph in a query that introduces the story line in your book to hook the agent or publisher?

I have read several blogs lately that speak of them (pitch and query) as one in the same.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
This is how I understand it.

"Pitch" is a word that's literally applied to short oral spiels about your book. (It comes from "sales pitch," I assume.) But I've also heard people use it to refer to the middle section of queries where the concept of the book is described.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
This is how I understand it.

1"Pitch" is a word that's literally applied to short oral spiels about your book. (It comes from "sales pitch," I assume.) But I've also heard people use it to refer to 2 the middle section of queries where the concept of the book is described.

1. Yes.
2. I've heard that called "the hook."

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
Nessam, not dumb at all. And your understanding is the same as mine. A query letter includes your "pitch"--the hooky, one or two-paragraph description that describes your novel. But you can also "pitch" to agents verbally. (Often called "pitch appointments" at conferences.)

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
I think the best distinction is the one a particular editor makes -- they may call the same thing a pitch, query, hook, outline, summary, or any other esoteric term. If you aren't sure exactly what they want based on their descriptions or requests, I wouldn't take the chance -- a quick call or email can solve the mystery. Also, I haven't come across too many editors that are really nit-picky about exactly how you present an initial idea, so long as you do have all the important elements present.

Status
Not open for further replies.