PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about pitch and query's

nessam
12-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the pitch is the paragraph in a query that introduces the story line in your book to hook the agent or publisher?

I have read several blogs lately that speak of them (pitch and query) as one in the same.

Will Lavender
12-06-2007, 09:47 PM
This is how I understand it.

"Pitch" is a word that's literally applied to short oral spiels about your book. (It comes from "sales pitch," I assume.) But I've also heard people use it to refer to the middle section of queries where the concept of the book is described.

melaniehoo
12-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I've been curious about the distinction as well. I'll be watching this thread!

Jersey Chick
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I think of it as the pitch being what you use to get an editor or agent's attention - a one or two sentence summary of the plot. The query is a more fleshed out version, with a few more details.

JMHO :)

C.bronco
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
This is how I understand it.

1"Pitch" is a word that's literally applied to short oral spiels about your book. (It comes from "sales pitch," I assume.) But I've also heard people use it to refer to 2 the middle section of queries where the concept of the book is described.

1. Yes.
2. I've heard that called "the hook."

triceretops
12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I call it a hook sentence and usually toss right up there in the front of the query. I call it a tag line also, but that is borrowed from screenwriting.

Tri

mysterygrl
12-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Nessam, not dumb at all. And your understanding is the same as mine. A query letter includes your "pitch"--the hooky, one or two-paragraph description that describes your novel. But you can also "pitch" to agents verbally. (Often called "pitch appointments" at conferences.)

Mayntz
12-07-2007, 01:17 AM
I think the best distinction is the one a particular editor makes -- they may call the same thing a pitch, query, hook, outline, summary, or any other esoteric term. If you aren't sure exactly what they want based on their descriptions or requests, I wouldn't take the chance -- a quick call or email can solve the mystery. Also, I haven't come across too many editors that are really nit-picky about exactly how you present an initial idea, so long as you do have all the important elements present.

nessam
12-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Thank you all for your help.