It's Gremlins, I Tell Ya

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
This is going to inspire a story, I can feel it in my bones.

You know why there are jokes about taking your car to the mechanic to fix a noise, only the mechanic doesn't hear the noise that is so obvious to you? Those jokes exist because it friggin' happens!

For the last three weeks, my Focus has made a clang-squeak sound in the rear passenger tire when I go over bumps or dips. Like metal hitting metal. Not loud, but noticeable enough to make me wonder. And then worry.

So I made an appointment with my dealership and dropped it off yesterday morning. Because of snow and commute traffic, it took me two hours (two hours!) to drive fifteen miles. I am so not joking. I drop it off, get my loaner, go about my day. Technician calls me a few hours later. Says he can't hear the noise, but that could be an affect of snow all over the roads. He'll get it up on the lift and take a look later in the day. Calls back a few hours after that. Nothing looks out of order. The car is fine.

:Wha:

Positive I am not imagining this noise (it followed me to Delaware over Thanksgiving, and has happened every single day for these three weeks). I ask him if they can keep the car and check it again tomorrow (today) when the roads are clear. He agrees.

He called me about half an hour ago. He says the other tech could not reproduce the clang or any other sort of noise, no matter where he drove it. Everything on the lift looks fine. There is nothing wrong with the car.

:Huh:

:Headbang:

So I agreed to pick it up this afternoon. But WTF??? I feel like I'm losing my mind here.

:e2shrug:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
It's a Ford - they specialize in weird things. :D

Many moons ago (I mean like 25 years) my mom had a Ford Gran Torino that was a POS since day one. But one of the gremlins got ahold of the steering column and would make puffs of white smoke leak out of it. Nothing burning, no smell, just puffs of white smoke. No mechanic could ever find a cause or reproduce it. I'd have thought Mom was hallucinating, but I saw it myself.

Weird. :D