PDA

View Full Version : Look out, Badducky has an interesting idea...

badducky
12-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if all readers had one day a year - or a week, say - wherein they decided to promote their favorite, lesser-known author at their local bookstore?

For instance, the week of December 10, all readers go to their store and "face-out" (instead of spine-out) one book by a lesser known author they love. If that author, or book, isn't in stock, the reader special-orders it and "forgets" to pick it up, thereby relegating it back to the shelves where the book is now for sale.

One week, when many of us are going to the bookstore, anyway, we do one little Christmas favor for someone we think might need a little boost.

We could call it "Badducky Had an Idea Day", or something...

Joe270
12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Wow. This really does sound like a good idea.

Were you doing bong hits at the time and it just came to you like some epiphany?

Rolling Thunder
12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I vote we call it 'or something'. :D

badducky
12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't now, nor have I ever relied on any illegal drug for inspiration, Joe270.

I have a hard enough time controlling my addiction to legal ones.

Someone needs to come up with a better name for the day.

Also, we'd need to spread the word in the blog-o-sphere.

Shadow_Ferret
12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, its an idea anyway. :tongue

What is "faceout?" The pages are out instead of the spine? What purpose does that serve? Then no one can see what the book is.

Simple Living
12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, its an idea anyway. :tongue

What is "faceout?" The pages are out instead of the spine? What purpose does that serve? Then no one can see what the book is.

Faceout means to have the full cover of the book showing instead of just the spine. It gives the book more visibility.

You could go one step further and put their book in the #1 or #2 spot of the NY Times Bestsellers Wall. ;)

badducky
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
You could definitely do that, Simple Living.

But, we still need a name for this week. I had the idea, but I can't think of a name for it.

ChaosTitan
12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I've done this on occasion, if I stumble across a book by someone I know (definitely did it last year for dragonjax's first book). Turned it face out, instead of spine out. I don't know if it helps sales, but it makes me feel good. :)

Shadow_Ferret
12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Faceout means to have the full cover of the book showing instead of just the spine. It gives the book more visibility.

I don't know of any bookstore that doesn't display the books faceout. (Except for used bookstores)

ChaosTitan
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't know of any bookstore that doesn't display the books faceout. (Except for used bookstores)

Really? My local Borders stocks most of their books spine-out. I can't imagine the shelf space they'd use displaying every single title face out.....

Shadow_Ferret
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Maybe I dreamed it, but I thought my B&Ns and other local bookstores have them faceout. Might just be the latest releases by each author and the rest of the books are spineout.

I'll have to go check.

badducky
12-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Imagine if around one day (like the week of December 10th) a whole heckuva lot of people took a moment to do one small promotional thing for one lesser-known beloved author.

If you have a blog, you got yourself one day's entry cheap and easy: telling people which author you helped and why.

Come on, somebody come up with a name for this.

A. Hamilton
12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Use Face Out in the name.

Put the Good Stuff Face Out.
Good Reads Face Out. Face Out for Good.
Face Out the Good Stuff. Face Out the Good Reads.
Readers Support Good Reads.
Good Reads Face Out.
Good Deed - Good Read.
Blah blah....

Siddow
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
International Face-Out Day?

Pimp Your Favorite Author Day?

Piss Off Booksellers Day?

Eff Up the Bookstore Day?

International Cap a Newbie Day? (hey, that'd be pretty cool. You take a book by a little-known new author and put it on the endcap of the aisle. I like the name, too.)

Rolling Thunder
12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
This is a given:

Piss Off Booksellers Day?

if this idea is used:

If that author, or book, isn't in stock, the reader special-orders it and "forgets" to pick it up, thereby relegating it back to the shelves where the book is now for sale.

A PA author attempted this at smaller bookstores earlier this year. Basically, it's fraud: good intentions or not.

The_Grand_Duchess
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I actually really like this idea! I think it's a cute like a little grassroots movement or something. We start doing it and it just spreads.

The thought makes me smile.

C.bronco
12-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I am buying Xmas presents from the AW library this week.

badducky
12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Eh, I don't think special-ordering the author I have in mind would be fraud. His books are so small, yet so funny...

I do like the EndCapping and NYT best-seller idea quite a lot.

"Take Back the Endcaps Week" (T.B.T.E.W. = TB2) seems to have a nice ring to it. "Face Your Book Day" might make for a nice alternative for the less guerrilla courageous.

Thus, we could have the week, with one day specifically dedicated to "facing out" the book.

So, the week of December 10, I officially declare to be "Take Back the Endcaps Week" (a.k.a. TB2). The day of December 10th is officially "Face Your Book Day".

Alert the blog-o-sphere. Badducky had an idea.

Shadow_Ferret
12-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I actually really like this idea! I think it's a cute like a little grassroots movement or something. We start doing it and it just spreads.

The thought makes me smile.
The thought seems self-defeating to me. If enough people do it, eventually the books I turn faceout will be turned back by someone else who thinks their books are more important than my own selections.

WendyNYC
12-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I've done this on occasion, if I stumble across a book by someone I know (definitely did it last year for dragonjax's first book). Turned it face out, instead of spine out. I don't know if it helps sales, but it makes me feel good. :)

I did that too, for Toothpaste's book. One of the employees saw me and I said "This one is really good, more people should by it."

I think she left it like that. I'm a good customer. :)

Williebee
12-06-2007, 11:20 PM
self defeating?

Not really. First, the total numbers of folks visiting a bookstore that will actually do it is small, percentage-wise.

Second, Fifteen minutes face out time is fifteen minutes the book didn't get before.

What it will probably do? Irritate the crap out of some book store employees.

Not all, mind you, but some.

Jaycinth
12-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Hey...good idea!

I write letters to my local library board and tell them what books I think they should buy.

badducky
12-06-2007, 11:28 PM
If you don't want to play, Ferret, fine.

Just remember that 8 buck an hour retail employees tend not to give much of a damn when it comes to what books get faceout or not, and might only care about endcaps if the boss is watching.

Fifteen minutes does matter, as has been said. This is a very small act, but I think that's the point. It's not about making huge overhauls for your author, but doing just one little thing at Christmastime - a little favor - for someone that needs it.

The blog post explaining who you picked and why will also help, too.

Joe270
12-07-2007, 04:17 AM
What it will probably do? Irritate the crap out of some book store employees.

I don't think they'd really notice. Books get left face out all the time by folks who pick up a book and scan the back cover and leave it face out.

Changing the end caps and bestseller rack will get noticed, but so what?

I like this idea. I need someone here at AW who has a "B" name who's published so I can cover all Dan Brown face-out books.

Face Out Your Favorites. (Nah, wrong point.)

Face Out Fresh Talent?

Isn't anyone in advertizing here? I'm decent with titles, but not ad lines.

Akuma
12-07-2007, 04:20 AM
I like Badducky Day.

And once it's a tradition integrated in our society, scholars will ponder for centuries where such an odd name came from.

Shweta
12-07-2007, 04:35 AM
I don't think the faceout thing hurts anyone.

Except at indy stores, where they know what they're doing -- but those are the stores where you can ask them to let you do this.

but fraud or not, ordering a book and not picking it up might be outright bad for the author. If they order it and don't sell it it'll make them less likely to order the author's next book...

benbradley
12-07-2007, 04:55 AM
I've turned books face-out on bookstore shelves, not because I know or have been on online groups with the authors (though I have been been in a few cases), but because these few books support an alternative/minority point of view that I feel really needs to get out.

badducky
12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Seriously, I'm going to endcap me some gay and lesbian fiction in Benbrook, Texas.

And, I'm going to Face Out an AW author who deserves a much wider readership. I blame his cover art. (Ask me who and I won't tell...)

Thus we have our holiday that shall be henceforth handled in the week of December 10:

Face Your Book Day is December 10, itself. On this day, sally forth and "Face Out" a lesser-known author that deserves a wider readership.

Take Back the Endcaps Week (A.k.a. TB2) will be the Week of December 10. If you hit a bookstore that week, take a lesser known, favorite author of yours and give them prized space on an endcap.

Since Indie Bookstores are awesome, I agree that we should do this only with their permission. But, the big boxes deserve to be shaken up with Guerrilla Book Lovers.

Also, and this step is very important, be sure to post publicly in your blog, or some other participant's blog about which author you chose to help and why you love them enough to face the (pithy) wrath of your bookstore managers over them.