Cameos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any 'guest appearances' in their story by historical figures (for those not writing a novel about a historical figure specifically)? As readers, do you like seeing the MC of a period piece encounter the big names of his / her day or is it annoying, jars you out of the story etc.?

Just toying with something and started to wonder about this. I'm not sure what I think. In some cases it just seems implausible, especially where the character bounces from place to place meeting every famous person who lived in that era, but I've seen it done well too (I think Tom Holland, even though he's technically considered a horror writer, does this quite well, incorporating famous figures into his novels, like John Aubrey and the Earl of Rochester in 'Deliver Us from Evil').

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jess, I think the majority of historical writers throughout time have used cameos. Think about the converse - if a story is only about fictional characters or unknown real people and not rooted in actual known historic personages - how interesting would it be? But being able to sneak in a somebody or even an event provides a rush if it's well done.

In answer to your question, yes, I have cameos of important people in my novel and in the short stories I'm writing. Sometimes they're not even in speaking roles, but the impact is still the same. Puma

andrewhollinger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewhollinger.com
I think the only thing you have to worry about is having your guest star act out of character or appear in a place that doesn't fit with the historical accounts. It just wouldn't do to have Sir Isaac Newton make an appearance in Australia, or say that science is just a bunch of hooey.

What I think works effectively is to work your character into an event that happened. Maybe he was there at Czar Nicholas's coronation feast when the alcohol tents were stampeded and 10,000 people died.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I haven't done this so far in any of my novels. I've seen it done poorly (and unnecessarily) often enough in historicals to turn me off from doing it myself. So often it seems that an author brings in a big historical figure just for the sake of having a big historical figure, even if the story would be fine without it, the way that a film will give a cameo to a huge Hollywood star just for the sake of putting their name on the trailers. I don't think that you would do that yourself, Jess, and I am sure that you would keep it relevant and plausible. Just grousing as to what often bugs me about this.

Now that being said, I am tossing around the idea of having a cameo for the sake of having a cameo in my NaNo novel. It's about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and perhaps the most infamous person associated with the Fair is Dr. H. H. Holmes. Obviously my characters wouldn't know who he is, but the reader who had read The Devil in the White City would recognize the name and the person. I have a scene where I think I can work him in, as he would be an interesting contrast to my MC. So to those readers who know something about Holmes, it would be an 'Aha!', for other readers he would just be another minor character.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Andrew's mention of having a MC there at the coronation feast of Czar Nicholas is the way I think popping in a notable works well. It makes the reader understand the circumstances and the times - the MC was there! Even though the MC is an unknown, he or she was there when history was made. That's the good way. Not so good would be having Czar Nicholas drop something as he walked by on his way to his seat - and no one noticed except the MC who retrieved it and got to meet the czar - that's too contrived.

Actually, Jess, this might be a good topic for one of the SYW challenges in historical - see how people are doing it and whether it works. It's a good idea especially with Pastmidnight's bad feelings about the way it's been done sometimes. Why don't you suggest it in the challenge thread. Puma

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of that, Puma. That would be interesting (and a challenge I could post for ;) )

Pastmidnight's pretty much summed up what I've seen in a lot of historicals, where the 'notable' is just shoved in, quite often with no historical research, often just to make the MC seem more important. One I saw once was a story about a woman who was invited at one point to Charles II's court. Catherine of Braganza had just stepped off the boat from Portugal, more or less, and was also being introduced, and shot straight over to the MC, speaking flawless English, and declared that they should be best friends.

On the other hand, as I said, I have seen it done really well. Neal Stephenson I think has everyone who ever lived in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in his books and yet I still enjoyed them.

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
ea of having a cameo for the sake of having a cameo in my NaNo novel. It's about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and perhaps the most infamous person associated with the Fair is Dr. H. H. Holmes. Obviously my characters wouldn't know who he is, but the reader who had read The Devil in the White City would recognize the name and the person. I have a scene where I think I can work him in, as he would be an interesting contrast to my MC. So to those readers who know something about Holmes, it would be an 'Aha!', for other readers he would just be another minor character.
What a marvelous opportunity for drama. Imagine the reader somehow shown how close the MC came to becoming a victim. Maybe an invitation from Holmes to meet somewhere, MC innocently agrees, but something comes up and the MC has to cancel. End of episode, Holmes is gone from the story, but informed reader wonders what might have happened otherwise. I love stuff like that.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
What a marvelous opportunity for drama. Imagine the reader somehow shown how close the MC came to becoming a victim. Maybe an invitation from Holmes to meet somewhere, MC innocently agrees, but something comes up and the MC has to cancel. End of episode, Holmes is gone from the story, but informed reader wonders what might have happened otherwise. I love stuff like that.

That would be really cool. (I have to show my ignorance here and say I hadn't heard of Holmes before, despite the amount of Crime TV my mother watches when I'm over at her house). That's sort of what I'm doing with one of my cameo appearances, although my MC does sense that the historical character is a bit 'off' at the time.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
One cannot avoid cameos and more of historic personages in a classic historical novel if the story/plot calls for it. It would a stretch to have TR visit the Little House on the Prarie and save the family from bears, Indians, or bad guys. Whereas, Cortez must appear in Captain from Castile.

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
My novel/series includes a large section of time in which the MC(s) are members of the 19th century Surete. Therefore, I do have Francois Eugene Vidocq turning up throughout the storyline. I'm not certain if that could be termed a cameo, as he will be quite a major character.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus, Joseph and Mary will make an appearance in my WIP, but aren't likely to see more than a few paragraphs.

"Hi, how are ya, I'm one of the three wise men. That the kid there? Great, here's some presents my boss sent me all this way to bring. Oh, and I'd leave town if I were you."

:)

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com

That's the sort of cameo I was thinking of (although not with my MC, because he's a he and not quite Holmes' type ;)). I might give it a whirl and post it over in SYW for the challenge Jess proposed. I'll see if I can get it to work!

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
That would be really cool. (I have to show my ignorance here and say I hadn't heard of Holmes before, despite the amount of Crime TV my mother watches when I'm over at her house). That's sort of what I'm doing with one of my cameo appearances, although my MC does sense that the historical character is a bit 'off' at the time.

You know, I hadn't heard of Holmes myself until I started doing research for the novel and realized that Devil in the White City was the only book on the Chicago World's Fair that I could find in the city of Edinburgh. Fascinating book, by the way, if you are interested. Holmes' story interspersed with the story of the Fair, with random little interested facts tossed in amongst it all. Non-fiction, but the author does an excellent job of telling a story.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I have...

the strongest dislike of writers seizing a real character and turning them into a detective or other major player in a so called historical novel.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Ooh, I know what you are talking about, pdr. Like Jane Austen mysteries and the like. If you are going to have a real personage in your story, have them do the things that they did!

I would think, girlyswot, if it is someone about whom much isn't known, then you have more leeway. But I see this done quite often with well-known figures.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I hadn't heard of Holmes myself until I started doing research for the novel and realized that Devil in the White City was the only book on the Chicago World's Fair that I could find in the city of Edinburgh. Fascinating book, by the way, if you are interested. Holmes' story interspersed with the story of the Fair, with random little interested facts tossed in amongst it all. Non-fiction, but the author does an excellent job of telling a story.

I might check it out. I looked up your link on Holmes earlier and it sounded really interesting. I enjoy 'early' crime stories, especially true ones.

the strongest dislike of writers seizing a real character and turning them into a detective or other major player in a so called historical novel.

You know, oddly enought I was just thinking about that sort of thing. My mum leant me her 'Mammoth Book of Historical Mysteries' a while back, as I'll take anything vaguely in my period to read, and looking through it I found there were a couple of Elizabethan ones, nearest I could get. One had Shakespeare acting as the detective and the other Christopher Marlowe. (Ok, so there's debate as to whether Marlowe was a spy, but still...)

I didn't get past the first paragraph of the Shakespeare one, which was Lord Burleigh (I think) giving him his instructions as to whatever it was he was investigating.

At the same time, if it'd been a fictional detective meeting Shakespeare in the course of the mystery, then I'd've had more chance with it, I think. (Like Stephen Saylor's series, where the MC works for Cicero but isn't actually Cicero)

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com

Well, I suppose that bodes ill for any writer using real characters as their MCs?

What if the real character was a major player in historical events? What if the real character did play the detective (see Robert Harris' IMPERIUM, which offers a fine portrayal of Cicero's travels around Sicily building his case against Gaius Verres)?

If it fits the story, and the story fits the history, what's wrong with it?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I suppose that bodes ill for any writer using real characters as their MCs?

What if the real character was a major player in historical events? What if the real character did play the detective (see Robert Harris' IMPERIUM, which offers a fine portrayal of Cicero's travels around Sicily building his case against Gaius Verres)?

If it fits the story, and the story fits the history, what's wrong with it?

I was thinking more in terms of 'genre' murder mystery books that use historical figures. I think if the mystery was a part of that character's life and related to known facts about them (even if the mystery itself wasn't 'known') then that would be different. Describing Cicero's efforts to find enough material for a case and looking into it deeper would be more plausible in a novel than, say if I wrote about Oliver Cromwell stopping mid-campaign to go off and solve an English village murder mystery.

That's sort of what I meant about cameos as well - if they're done with a mind to the historical context and the real life of the 'notable' involved, then it doesn't jar me, but if the only reason for having the cameo is to make the MC seem more important or the likes, then it gets on my nerves.

I have no idea if any of that made sense. It's too cold for rational logic... :(

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I have no idea if any of that made sense. It's too cold for rational logic... :(

:D That's why I haven't left the flat today.

I think you explained it well. Folks who may have possibly had a role crime-fighting or those who are too obscure for us to know for certain are fair game. But Oliver Cromwell or Jane Austen or Shakespeare? I think they all were a bit too busy to investigate the recent spate of horse thefts or whatnot.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
:D That's why I haven't left the flat today.

I think you explained it well. Folks who may have possibly had a role crime-fighting or those who are too obscure for us to know for certain are fair game. But Oliver Cromwell or Jane Austen or Shakespeare? I think they all were a bit too busy to investigate the recent spate of horse thefts or whatnot.

I am happy to say that I did not know such books existed. ;)

I like historical detective fiction (a la Brother Cadfael) and I like historical real-person fiction (a la Philippa Gregory) but I agree that it would be VERY ODD INDEED to mix the two!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to miss this discussion but...

here I am again.

Yes, I have had to review oodles of wretchedly researched, murder mysteries with Jane Austen, Beau Brummel, Shakespeare, Old Uncle Tom Cobly and all (Name any well known historical figure and you will find some ******** person has written them into a whodunnit as the crime solver! And most are so crass! I wrote such a savage review last time, I am now happy to say I am not asked to review them any more. I get the difficult non-fiction instead where I have to research to make sure the author is correct!

No, Doogs, you write about real people in your way. You are sticking to your historical interpretation and it's a valid one. But wouldn't you spit tacks if a writer took someone from your time period and made them a detective or amateur sleuth? Like PastM said, they had a real, possibly well documented life, and tacking the detective onto it is, well, plain tacky!

Very few writers are able to take a real person and make fiction around them. After all, if we are writing novels, we should be creating the characters. We are involved in fiction.

I'm with Jess, in that a cameo from a real character shouldn't be for show, but to add to the story. And yes, of course your characters will talk about the real people of the day, those who are important in politics or religion or war or just plain notorious. But taking a reader back to 1001 or 1348 or 1650 or whenever is to give them a taste of that time, show how close we really are as people despite the time distance, and give them a darned good tale which they can think about. It's cheating and lazy writing to seize on a well know figure and then make them do things they couldn't possibly have done. It's dishonest to history, the character, and the reader. It's as bad as those writers of what they call historical romance or erotica where the history is a pretty setting for a modern couple to have sex and act out the writer's fantasies. And yes, I am aware of some superb historical romance which is well researched, well written and which gives us an honest taste of love in 1269 or whenever. It's just that a lot of it isn't!

Last edited:

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
No, Doogs, you write about real people in your way. You are sticking to your historical interpretation and it's a valid one. But wouldn't you spit tacks if a writer took someone from your time period and made them a detective or amateur sleuth? Like PastM said, they had a real, possibly well documented life, and tacking the detective onto it is, well, plain tacky!

In that case, I agree wholeheartedly.

I was taking exception to the "or other major player" part of your comment, which for some reason I took to mean major player in the plot.

Forgive me. Just ended a long road trip. Too many miles of driving, far too little time to do more than skim the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.