Literary Techniques - Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, that is helpful.

(It's a list of definitions of practically EVERY writing term.)

I'm glad someone found it helpful. In case people need a glimpse of it before they'll click on a link, here's a short copy and paste.

Juxtaposition, when the author places two themes, characters, phrases, words, or situations together for the purpose of comparison, contrast, or rhetoric.
Lampshade hanging, a technique used in many forms of fiction to deflect attention from implausible or just plain bad writing by having a character point out how strange or unlikely it is. Once acknowledged in-character, the audience accepts it.
Magic realism, a form particularly popular in Latin America but not limited to that region, in which events are described realistically, but in a magical haze of strange local customs and beliefs. Gabriel García Márquez is a notable author in the style.

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
I especially like "lampshade effect".

When I first started writing, I was often told many things that happened in my plots were unbelievable. Then I read a writing book that said anything's possible, as long as it's mentioned earlier by a character, even in passing.

I've used this technique ever since, and no longer get complains about the believability of events.

Now I know the literary name for it. Thanks.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm actually gonna bump this off to the Roundtable, because I think it's uniformly useful for all modes of writing, even beyond novels. That's a terrific page, and I've saved it and am enjoying reading it. (I have not yet read anything in the list that makes me go "Oh...crap..." so I'm all right. Or dense.)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I wonder if knowing any of that really helps.

I mean, its nice to know information so when someone uses one of those terms here I can go figure out what the heck they're talking about (like the term duex ex machina, which everyone seems so fond of bandying about) .

But will any of it actually help me to write better?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think these are great for analysis and studying (maybe even edit). But how many writers actually consciously plan these while they're writing?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I have to say when I realised my writing fell under the title Magical Realism I was thrilled! I think I should write a blog post on the subject, as it is a fascinating genre and one that often confuses people (I have got a few reviews where people complained that my book made no sense as Alex appeared to live in a normal world and yet there were fantasical elements. And . . .gasp . .. this couldn't possibly be as she didn't go through any kind of portal!)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My WIP is in the realm of magical realism, I believe. I struggled with it a bit because the story is set in the real world, with real events as the backdrop. But I realize, I need to tell the story as I envision it. I'm glad I can categorize it as magical realism.

Again, I didn't set out to say: Ooh, I should write a magical realism story. It just happened.

One of my favorite films is magical realism: Like Water for Chocolate. Sensual and fun!

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh I"m so with you on that one Maestro! I too realised after the fact where I fit in. But there are some techniques I think that can simply be learned, or that possibly unconsciously a writer knows how to write, but once they find the technique explained clearly, helps them focus.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It helps me not even a little bit. But, like reading the biography (or, at the very least, the Wikipedia page) of a famous author like Charles Dickens, it is enjoyable and a chance to read about that which I love, which is writing and writers.

I read stuff like this for pleasure, and never with the hope that it'll make me Mr. Better Writer. Nothing but hard work will do that.

I wonder if knowing any of that really helps.

I mean, its nice to know information so when someone uses one of those terms here I can go figure out what the heck they're talking about (like the term duex ex machina, which everyone seems so fond of bandying about) .

But will any of it actually help me to write better?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I don't think I'd use these terms while writing, but like the Ferret said, it's nice to know the terms. There have been numerous times when something is mentioned here & I'm forced to nod my head and smile, like I know wtf the person is talking about.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Magical Realism

And until I just looked it up, I assumed magical realism was just another term for urban fantasy. :)

There have been numerous times when something is mentioned here & I'm forced to nod my head and smile, like I know wtf the person is talking about.
See, I just annoyingly ask, "WTF does that mean?" because I'm too lazy to google stuff.

But now i have this link!

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
I must be the oddity. I do consider these things. I think of the type of feel I want the story to have. I'm not someone who enjoys writing blindly, writing from start to finish and not knowing how it turns out. I'm not wired to work that way. Heck, I even envy people who can write that way!

I like crafting my story! I like piecing it together like a jigsaw puzzle through outlining and considering elements like these. This is a huge part of why writing is never dull or a chore for me.

There's another even more helpful page saved from Wikipedia but I lost it. I'm working like the dickens to find it.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
(like the term duex ex machina, which everyone seems so fond of bandying about) .

It's deus ex machina, literally, god in the machine. For RPG players, the appropriate term is "DM save." It means having someone come in and save the heroes from the big bad instead of letting the heroes save themselves.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's also bandied about so much because a lot of new writers like to end their books this way. ie everyone is in trouble, and then, in the last minute some other character pops in and saves everyone. It isn't just some term people decided was fun to use. Rather it's a pretty common problem.

(the term god in the machine refers back to the ancient greek tragedies where an actor playing a god would literally be lowered down onto the stage by a contraption (ie machine) and would resolve the end of the play.)

Status
Not open for further replies.