PDA

View Full Version : Where has writing taken you?

III
12-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Have your writing endeavors taken you places you wouldn't have otherwise been? Aside from the figurative traveling to the worlds you create through writing, that is.

KTC
12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
My writing has saved me. It sounds cliche, but it's true. I scratch myself back up from the bottom with writing.

JoeEkaitis
12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
To a library where the head librarian told me to take my book and get lost.

sunna
12-05-2007, 10:28 PM
No particular locations (yet - I hope to go to a conference or two when I can afford it), but it's pretty much given me back the life I wanted, more or less. After college I didn't write for years; I just forgot how to do it without a deadline looming over me. I watched a lot of TV and read a lot and went out a lot, but I always felt like I was missing out on something; I wasn't very happy. When I started writing again and really got into it I started sleeping better, thinking about things more, feeling like I had something I was supposed to be doing instead of just the stuff I did/do to pay the bills and get by: something I could look forward to all the time.

I imagine this must be sort of what it feels like to enjoy your job. :)

cray
12-05-2007, 10:31 PM
inside of people

JLCwrites
12-05-2007, 10:37 PM
It brought me here.

Lyra Jean
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
wow cray that can be taken so many different ways.

;)

Stew21
12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
It brought me here, too.

and one of my characters developed a seafood craving. Just an odd need for oysters.
so it took me to the Broadwa Oyster Bar on more than one occasion.

Suddenly, I wanted them too.

melaniehoo
12-05-2007, 10:40 PM
No particular locations (yet - I hope to go to a conference or two when I can afford it), but it's pretty much given me back the life I wanted, more or less. After college I didn't write for years; I just forgot how to do it without a deadline looming over me. I watched a lot of TV and read a lot and went out a lot, but I always felt like I was missing out on something; I wasn't very happy. When I started writing again and really got into it I started sleeping better, thinking about things more, feeling like I had something I was supposed to be doing instead of just the stuff I did/do to pay the bills and get by: something I could look forward to all the time.

It brought me here.

My thoughts exactly.

joyce
12-05-2007, 10:40 PM
For the past 24 years I've been busy being a mother, wife, and CEO of the house. I put my dream on the shelf while I was busy helping others accomplish theirs. These past two years I pulled my dream down and seriously started trying to go for it. For years I've written stuff with most of it never completed. This past year I completed my first novel and am now almost half way through the second. Writing is a dream come true for me. It's my xanex when life turns to poop. I know it sounds stupid, but writing makes me feel better as a person. My writing also took me to this great place and for that I will always be appreciative. Now let me go off and cry......this post is choking me up.

cray
12-05-2007, 11:02 PM
III, i'm totally concerned that you are not living in the moment any more.

III
12-05-2007, 11:05 PM
III, i'm totally concerned that you are not living in the moment any more.

And since you bought my book I'm totally concerned that you're living in my body. It would explain the extra energy I've had lately, though . . .

cray
12-05-2007, 11:06 PM
*puke*

eta: just the thought of living inside your bo *puke* body...
ack!

KTC
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Where it has taken me? Last night I stood in front of a pub of poets and spoke into a microphone. I read 4 poem...no, 5. My writing has taken me there. I was lost and now I'm found. Was blind, but now I see. I used to force myself NOT to write. Once I gave myself permission, it took me places. I've gone along for the ride. My first publication was January 2003. I thought it was some kind of monumental error...but it was in a national newspaper. I allowed that one to lift me. From there, I found a voice that was buried. I once was lost, but now I'm found.

underthecity
12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
When I was researching for my first book in 1998, I contacted a man in town who was an interurban railroad historian who was in his 70s. He introduced me to the members of a railroad club he ran and I got to be friends with many of them.

Now nine years later, I'm still friends with them. My wife and I periodically socialize with several of them, one of them invites us to his gigantic yearly parties (the annual Christmas party is next week) and we invite them to dinner at our house at least once a year.

This, despite a thirty-year age difference.

Because of my continuing involvement with them, I wrote two more books after the first with their support.

If I had never written that first book, I would never have met all those wonderful people who are a special part of our lives.

allen

sunna
12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Where it has taken me? Last night I stood in front of a pub of poets and spoke into a microphone. I read 4 poem...no, 5. My writing has taken me there.

:Hail: :Hail: Good for you. I've always wanted to have the guts to do that.

Voyager
12-05-2007, 11:20 PM
My writing doesn't lead me to places, though places have led me to write.

benbradley
12-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I've "written" a lot on Usenet and such, but within the last year or two the idea of writing something that could be published (by, choke, "real" publishers) percolated up to a significant part of my consciousness, and I started looking around online, and (this was a shocker) started actually reading a few of the books I had lying around on writing. It took me to rec.arts.sf.composition for a while, then someone mentioned Absolute Write, so it brought me here. I still haven't done much with writing except the weekly FF challenges.

paprikapink
12-05-2007, 11:28 PM
My writing has saved me. It sounds cliche, but it's true. I scratch myself back up from the bottom with writing.

This is true for me as well. Almost every beneficial turn in my life, I can trace back to my efforts to write. And I don't even really consider myself a "Writer" although it's all I've ever truly wanted to do and as long as I've stayed true to that, I've prospered.

I mostly just use my ability to express things well to help other folks who aren't as good at it (like software engineers). In some cases that's helped me economically (working as a tech writer in the dot com bubble, and then bailing out!) and in other cases it's helped me socially/emotionally/personally (for instance, I met my husband when I was assisting his great-aunt to get her biography written and she and I became fast friends and yadda-yadda-yadda.)

I take wrong turns and that "bottom" of which Kevin speaks comes rushing up at me, but so far, every time I've been able to grab that rope of writing and drag myself up again.

waylander
12-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Have your writing endeavors taken you places you wouldn't have otherwise been? Aside from the figurative traveling to the worlds you create through writing, that is.

Austin, Texas

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 11:40 PM
And since you bought my book I'm totally concerned that you're living in my body. It would explain the extra energy I've had lately, though . . .

*puke*

eta: just the thought of living inside your bo *puke* body...
ack!

The thought of one of you inside the other gives me the creeps. Not that either of you alone don't already.

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
My writing doesn't lead me to places, though places have led me to write.

I'm not exactly sure what the question was, but here's my answer:

It's brought me to book stores, writers conferences and libraries (which I hadn't set foot at for over two decades). It's taken me back to my teenage years when creative writing was one of my passions.

Zelenka
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
My writing took me to Egypt, (I wouldn't have gone except for the fact I was writing a story set there, because of the company I was going with), to a little, very beautiful village just outside of Tunis, Tunisia, to Palma cathedral, the doge's palace in Genoa, to a very wet and windy Glastonbury, an even wetter and windier walk from Euston to Lincoln's Inn (whilst tracking a character's steps), up a really steep hill to Greenwich Royal Observatory (discovered there was a bus up to the top after I got there), and next year it's taking me to Somerset for a little research trip.

Even if none of these books ever get published, I'll have seen a fair bit of the world, so I owe it that.

Susie
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Writing has brought me here to AW to make many great friends. It's brought me to the fridge for my chocolate 'fix' when I get a rejection and to the scale to see how much weight I've gained. :)

III
12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Not that neither of you only don't already.

What a poorly crafted sentence. :tongue

Bravo
12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
depression.

CaroGirl
12-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Mostly to my office in the chilly basement of my house. Brrr.

SC Harrison
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Writing has taken me to a place in my mind that I had totally forgotten ever existed; that place where "new" things happen, creative things, and I will never allow myself to forget again.

maestrowork
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
What a poorly crafted sentence. :tongue

I was flabbergasted by the mere mention of you and cray.

cray
12-06-2007, 12:20 AM
i think it's cute how much you love us, ray.

Simple Living
12-06-2007, 12:23 AM
I've been to a lot of new places.

I always write my first draft by hand. (I leave the computer for edits and rewrites.) I had been cooped up too long and needed to get out of the house. I brought a notebook and pen with me and thought about where I'd like to go. I can't remember where the scene I was writing took place, but I decided to go to a similar place so I could feel like I was there. It worked. My writing just flowed. As a result, I tend to write most of my scenes in settings much like where they happen.

I've been to restaurants, stores, neighborhoods, the train station, airport, bus station, parks, police station, flower shops, schools, orchards, a horse ranch, skyscrapers, etc. I've even hopped on a Greyhound bus and went to Iowa for lunch and then came back. (I wrote while I was on the bus. I live in Minnesota.) When I was living in the Czech Republic, I started a story that took place in Ireland. I was looking to move on from Prague anyway, so I decided to move to Galway, Ireland. I was in a position where I could do that and the timing was right, so...

To some this may sound goofy, but I don't care. I absolutely love it. Not only am I getting to write, but I'm going places and seeing things I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Like Hooked On Phonics, it works for me.

maestrowork
12-06-2007, 12:28 AM
i think it's cute how much you love us, ray.

Tread very carefully, battery boy.

cray
12-06-2007, 12:36 AM
:D

JLCwrites
12-06-2007, 12:47 AM
:Hail: :Hail: Good for you. I've always wanted to have the guts to do that.

Try it. It's a rush.

sunna
12-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Try it. It's a rush.

Probably of everything I've eaten that day toward my tonsils... :D

*sigh* <<scared>>

eodmatt
12-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Writing has taken me to Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia. Countries with ancient cultures located in a geographic region of great beauty, yet in recent years subject to intense savagery and crimes against humanity. Slovenia came as a bonus although it was the scene of serious international crime at the time of my visit. My memories of Sarajevo are tinged with darkness. Small cameos, still images of fire, destruction, terror and injustice, the tangible remains of ethnic war sometimes fill my mind. The memory of three small girls lying screaming, afraid and alone with their injuries in a minefield that was there still because of official incompetence, greed and corruption. But there is hospitality. Even today bosnian muslims take plum brandy with them on the Haj and the religious police in Mecca can do nothing about it because it is part of sharia law. sljivovica, made from plums and "William", a spirit made from pears. Smoked meats and fish. And coffee. They love coffee and discussing things. Did you know that Sarajevo was the first city in the world to have street lighting by gas?

Africa's broad plains and pristine blue skies unsullied by rain cloud. Mozambique, bereft of wildlife all eaten by a starving population. A red sandy scrub desert after 18 years of war and 4 years of drought. The haunted faces of malnourished children. The mangled remains of a bicycle and the skeletal remains of a father and son who had chanced a cycle ride through the minefield encircling their village. They found not food. Only death. Angola, the unpaid customs officials preying on the travelers passing through Luanda airport. The Galimperos working an illicit diamond mine at Katoka. The military road blocks and the omnipresent minefields. Amputees of all ages. Scarred and broken bodies that can never be restored. The unseen damage to minds and spirits.

Zimbabwe. A beautiful country, bursting with food. Happy, friendly people of many races. A country that should be self sufficient in both food and hydro electrical power. Now ruined by a despotic madman.

South Africa, a country of incredible resource and beauty which struggled to re find itself after the horror and indignity of apartheid.

Well paid officials in Brussels and New York making careers out the misery of landmine victims. The grand buildings of the aid agencies and the funding sources. Dinners with fine wine during discussions over how to provide aid at the cheapest possible price.

Cambodia. Visible evidence of mans inhumanity to man - if more were needed. A thin file of heavily armed black clad Khmer Rouge, crossing the red dirt road half a mile ahead of us. We were unarmed. Had they seen us we would have had to run. Or we would have become statistics. Angkor Wat, before the clearance of mines and UXO. A dangerous but fantastic place. The incompetence and corruption. A small bar where children of between five and 14 are sold for sex. "It's OK", the "Mamasan" told me "they are all orphans, no one wants them".

Vietnam. My translator, Ms Kim telling me that when she was about 9 years old she saw her four year old sister cut in half by bomb fragments when her village of wood and grass huts was bombed for "tactical reasons". My team of North Vietnamese army landmine and UXO clearance guys, generally malnourished, untrained, happy, smiling, eager to please. Their Captain, who told me not to worry too much about safety "if we lose a couple of guys we can replace them within a few days". A Pagoda where a senior priest told me that I had a debt to pay to God, but that God was with me.

Somalia. The little tufts of cloth signifying the last resting place of Women and children slaughtered by a mad warlord. The war lords house ringed with Russian made tanks. His eyes black and expressionless. A man without pity. A Soviet Sam 2 missile base complete. Deserted.

Laos. Smiling, gentle and shy people who endured hell on earth for six years whilst the world stood by and did nothing. Aid delivered grudgingly to a population scarred by bombing and the use of chemical defoliants. Aid that comes with a heavy political price.

The dusty plains and rugged hills mountains and gorges of Afghanistan. The unbelievably hardy tribesmen who will share their last crust of bread with you and who can endure incredible extremes of heat and cold.

The deserts of Oman. In many places little explored. Cave graves here and there dating back thousands of years. Jebbals rising out of the sandy plain, bizarrely consisting of layers of rock and cool silky chalk. Inselbergs on the horizon, before which is clearly an ancient and now dry sea bed littered with the shells of ancient sea creatures. Occasionally, evidence of stone age society in the shape of discarded flint workings.

I have been very lucky that for the last 17 years I have traveled to all of these places and many more. My written works which were done in these countries are of course dry and impartial technical evaluations dealing with the aftermath of war; The deadly droppings of the horses of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I hope that my current and future writings will reach a wider audience.

III
12-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Wow

Just ....

Wow

Shadow_Ferret
12-06-2007, 01:36 AM

No.