Specialized Avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, (especially the technologically advanced ones)

I've been thinking about what kind of special avatar I want to use once I have 50 posts, together with the appropriate reputation points, and I've come up with an idea that I like, but I don't know how to go about creating it once I'm ready. I want a photo of Olivia Hussey in Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, specifically one in which she is wearing the dress she met Romeo in. If I find such a picture on the net, is it possible to make it into an avatar? If so, how does one go about doing it? Is there anyhting else I should know about specialized avatars? Thanks for being patient with a computer non-geek (is that word? :)

Thanks for any help,
Chacounne

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
if you can swipe a pic (not that I'd advocate copyright infringement, of course--but, hypothetically speaking, should you happen to find a picture in the public domain, or something...) you can photoshop it to the appropriate size, then upload it to your profile in the avatar slot.

Good luck. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Like this:

oromeo0001p4.jpg

or this:

hussey.jpg

All you need is a graphics software (Microsoft Pain or Paintshop or something) to crop the picture to the right size (50x50 pixels I think). When you are ready to use your custom avatar, go to User CP/Avatar and upload the file. Should be a JPEG or a GIF file.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe Jenna upped the size to 80x80 for everyone. There's also a size limit, so it would be a good idea to make sure the image is set to 256 colours to help keep it small enough.

If all this sounds like the gibbering of baboons to you, Chacounne, just let us know.
biggrin.gif

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Last edited:

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Computer Illiterate :)

Thanks guys for all the help, but it's all greek to me:)

I did however find a picture that will do :

rj684.jpg

I'll let you know when I'm ready, then perhaps one of you might have time to talk me through it.

Thanks for the time and patience,
Chacounne

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You Betcha!

Chacounne said:
Thanks guys for all the help, but it's all greek to me:)

I did however find a picture that will do :

rj684.jpg

I'll let you know when I'm ready, then perhaps one of you might have time to talk me through it.

Thanks for the time and patience,
Chacounne

I'm technically inept and I figured it out, so I'll be glad to talk you through it or even do it for you and deliver it via email (which I would never divulge), if it comes to that.

(I've recently made it my business to make sure everyone I know online can open two windows at once--it's amazing how many didn't know it's possible. Next, I'll be teaching copy and paste...)

For me, once I got a little how-to from the friendly locals, the debate was between a kind of cool picture with poor definition, or a very fat green frog that was a little too cute.

Cute's overrated, don't you think?

Maryn, not fooling anybody with her 'cool'

Last edited:

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, You're a treasure :)

Oh Maryn,

You are indeed a lady after my own heart :) Thank you for the offer !

I will look you up in a few more posts,

Chacounne

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't open those links ("not found" my foot!) but when you pick one, put it in your message the same as the other one and I'll work with that, if you like.

I'd forgotten what a beauty Ms. Hussey was--what a face! I dimly recall she dropped from sight after only a few more turns before the camera, after marrying a Japanese rock star who spoke as much English as she did Japanese. (Hmm, it would end that mindless bickering...)

Maryn

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Olivia Hussey was at one time married to Dean Paul Martin, Jr., the son of Dean Martin. He was part of a teen band back in the day (my day, actually) called Dino, Desi [Arnez, Jr.] and Billy [Hinsche, son of a Hollywood lawyer, as I recall] and I was nuts about him. When I heard he had married OH, it seemed totally right to me - I had once wanted to look like her and I had also once wanted to marry DPM. (And somewhere in my childhood detritis in the attic I still have the "autographed" 8X10 publicity still I got for joining the Dino, Desi, and Billy fan club. I kept it framed on my dresser for years.)

This is it, minus the autograph.

In March of 1987, I heard on TV that Dean Paul Martin had died in a military jet plane crash over the San Bernadino Mountains. (He was a captain in the US Air Force, a fighter pilot, and he was at the controls when the jet went down.) At the time, it was one of the worst aviation disasters in CA history - he flew straight into a solid wall of granite while disoriented by cloud cover and other factors. His dad dropped out of a rat pack reunion tour on the one-year aniversary of his son's death. He never got over it.

When I heard the news of Dino's death, I'd been married happily for 15 years, but I still cried. He was 35 years old.

And I still think he was one of the best-looking men that ever lived.
Pictures of Dino, Desi, and Billy
Picture of him older, with his sister Deana

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
OMG, Betty, those pics of Dino, Desi, and Billy brought back memories! My sister had them tacked up on her side of the bedroom and wouldn't let me near them. I think it was Billy I liked the best.

Sorry I hijacked this thread, but I had to post. Thanks, Betty, for the link!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ho-kay...

I've now got a picture of the lovely Ms. Hussey smiling--how can I post it here for Chacounne to 'lift' and use as an avatar? (Remember, simple words--I'm tech-challenged!)

Maryn

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Do an attachment.

When you edit a message, scroll down to the "Additional Options" section. There should be one called "Attach Files." Click on the "Manage Attachments" button: You can upload/attach an JPEG or GIF or PNG file... among other things.

Then Chacounne could just click and download/save the graphics...

Like this:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Attempted Pic Attachment

OK, here goes my first attempt to provide a cropped image of Ms. Hussey. (This is making me want to see the movie again, you know...)

Maryn

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Maryn said:
(I've recently made it my business to make sure everyone I know online can open two windows at once--it's amazing how many didn't know it's possible. Next, I'll be teaching copy and paste...)

Just two windows? I usually have at least three. Right now, I have four - two browser windows, my e-mail program, and a Word document. ;)

.............and now it's time to get back to work. I hate transcription.

I don't know which I should do -- :Headbang: or :flag:-- I feel like the first one, actually.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
2nd Attempt--3rd version of Pic

OK, I don't know why the earlier ones show the link, not the actual image. I'm probably doing something dopey and obvious. But I have re-cropped the image and this one might be more what is desired.

If it shows, that is!

Maryn

gizmotron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gizmotron.org
This looks like a great place to test linking to an image.

The original Gizmotron:

p5.gif

This is the image I will use for my own
custom avatar some day if I'm good.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work, gang.

Now all you have to do, Chacounne, is:

1. right-click on the picture you want, and select "Save image as...." (or similar) and stash it on your hard drive.
  2. go into your User CP, look for Edit Avatar on the left
  3. scroll down to where it says Custom Avatar and click on the round spot (radio button) beside Use custom avatar
  4. then click the browse button, find the image you stashed on your hard drive and hilight it so it appears next to the OK button, then click OK
  5. Last, click save changes, exit your User CP and that should do it.
Good luck!

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
It's perfect!

Maryn, Chunky, and everyone else,

Thank you so much for all your help. The last photo of Maryn's is perfect!
I've written out the instructions from Chunky, so, hopefully, in a few short posts I should have it in place.

You guys are wonderful!
Chacounne

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
First Part Done!

Hey Guys,

I actually managed to save the photo to my hard drive, and made sure I can find it later:) So now, just two more posts and I'll be ready to finish it off.

BTW, sorry for all posts last night/this morning; I was so excited about getting to this stage, I went wild. Sigh!

Thanks again,
Chacounne

Status
Not open for further replies.