Do others???

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
Go through an "I suck" moment. I mean, you know you don't really suck. You know from all the books you have read (books that have done well) you're ideas and style are pretty good. Not perfect, but definately not in the "I suck" catagory.
I find myself doing this a lot especially on a long piece and usually when I'm on that 5th rewrite or more and wanting to stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
Sometimes I find myself obsessing about a particular scene and read it over and over and over until I just can't stand it any more...
Does anyone else worry a manuscript like this? Or do I need to go on meds?

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I haven't gone through that with my manuscript yet, but the query I'm working on is a different story! I suck horribly at queries and I am reminded by this every day as I write crappy query after crappy query...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I go through 'I suck' moments every single day. I can't pick up/open one of my manuscripts without screaming, "I suck!" I think this if fairly common. If not, I'm probably in trouble.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Sure. I think everybody does, regardless of their hobby or walk of life.

Maybe it is more intensified for us, or maybe it is easier for us to obsess about. Probably.
After all, isn't what we do "all in our head" anyway?

Call it bio-rhythms. Call it dietary. Call it just part of the process.

Give it a name and send it off in a box where it belongs.

Then get your butt back to work. It's the only way I've found to beat it.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have I suck moments. I have I suck periods. Because there are times when I'm just not a 'writer'...I'm unoriginal, stuck, and my own prose puts me to sleep.

So, yeah, you're normal. Whatever that is.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I sit down in front of my laptop and whip off pages of pages of greatness on a daily basis (okay, not really daily, but I try), usually at night. Then I read what I wrote the next day and wail, "I suck!".

So yeah. I go way beyond moments, though. It's pretty much a regular occurrence accompanied by 'there's no way anyone will ever pay for this crap, what am I thinking????'

Followed of course by the time honored ritual of stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil.

:Sun:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I sit down in front of my laptop and whip off pages of pages of greatness on a daily basis (okay, not really daily, but I try), usually at night. Then I read what I wrote the next day and wail, "I suck!".

So yeah. I go way beyond moments, though. It's pretty much a regular occurrence accompanied by 'there's no way anyone will ever pay for this crap, what am I thinking????'

Followed of course by the time honored ritual of stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil.

:Sun:
I do the same thing. I envy the person who writes and has the confidence to say "this is damn good".

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you never have an "I suck" moment - if you truly and honestly believe that every word you write is golden, that every plot twist is precious metal, and every line of dialogue pure poetry - you're an idiot.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
When I get the "I suck" moments, I might open one of my published books and read some of it and realize that what's published doesn't suck much at all.

OTOH, during my revision process, I'll be working on a chapter that needs heavy revision, all the while thinking "this sucks this sucks this sucks this sucks this sucks."

Then, when the chapter is finished, I'll reread it a last time before moving on to the next and realize that it doesn't suck anymore.

allen

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
If you keep writing - I mean for years and years - and you begin to sell some, or (hallelujah!) a lot of it - those moments will become a distant memory. Just as with any skill set, occupation, profession or avocation - the more you work at it, the more you improve.

As that improvement is rewarded, your confidence grows. Soon, you'll no longer be hamstrung by self-doubt.

Which is good because there's lots of other pitfalls out there to trip you up. ;)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my yes. It didn't happen until I finished my first novel and ripped it to whimpering shreds over the course of 7 drafts; scenes I thought were brilliant were trite and painfully purple, dialogue that was witty and beautiful only the day before turned out to be flat and full of adverb-infested tags.

Once I started really seeing where I could improve, it seemed like everything needed improvement. Or cutting. Or to be staked through the heart, beheaded, burned to ashes, and scattered over a fast-moving river.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Once I started really seeing where I could improve, it seemed like everything needed improvement. Or cutting. Or to be staked through the heart, beheaded, burned to ashes, and scattered over a fast-moving river.

I love this description. I can so relate. Can I polish and fix this piece enough to make it worth submitting? That's one I struggle with too.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Go through an "I suck" moment. I mean, you know you don't really suck. You know from all the books you have read (books that have done well) you're ideas and style are pretty good. Not perfect, but definately not in the "I suck" catagory.
I find myself doing this a lot especially on a long piece and usually when I'm on that 5th rewrite or more and wanting to stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
Sometimes I find myself obsessing about a particular scene and read it over and over and over until I just can't stand it any more...
Does anyone else worry a manuscript like this? Or do I need to go on meds?

"I suck" thoughts - check
want to stab self in eye with pencil during revisions - check
obsessing over a particular piece of prose - check
meds? - not yet

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I go through 'I suck' moments every single day. I can't pick up/open one of my manuscripts without screaming, "I suck!" I think this if fairly common. If not, I'm probably in trouble.
I also go through this every day, at least once. Moments of self-doubt.

Except I at least have no typos.

:D

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Yup. Far too often. Usually when I reread any part of my first draft. Somewhat less often I think I've got a really cool story going on. Much less often, I reread part of my first draft and actually enjoy it.

I'm beginning to think that manic depression is brought on by writing...

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I have those moments, usually when I'm trying too hard to force a story along and get mad at myself because none of my ideas seem original or interesting enough. The other time I get them is when I'm reading a really great book and I go into despair because, no matter how good I get, I start to think I'll never be as good as (insert wonderful author here).

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I am so glad I'm not alone...

Okay, I didn't think I was, but it's so nice to hear so many other people go through it, too, ya know? :) Otherwise, if it was just me, then I guess I'd really really really suck. And that would suck.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score

Yep. No matter how many times I go through my ms I still see things that can be improved. *sigh*

So, yes, I have those "I suck" moments all the time, everyday, in fact. Once in a great while I'll have an "that's not so bad" moment. It quickly passes.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
I think having these moments indicate that we are human...

Status
Not open for further replies.