PDA

View Full Version : Tried and True "Reasons" for not writing

Lisa Y
03-02-2005, 03:13 AM
What are your best excuses for not using the BIC method? A few that come to mind are "my back hurts so I can't sit at the computer" and "I suck at writing."

Anyone else?

MacAllister
03-02-2005, 03:19 AM
"I should just take a quick peek at the AW forums, and see what's going on today..."

ZaZ
03-02-2005, 03:21 AM
I'll have two beers, bartender.
I'll have two beers, too.

maestrowork
03-02-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm psychotic.

Plus I'm sick.

ChunkyC
03-02-2005, 03:54 AM
Uh-oh, here comes the boss....

aka eraser
03-02-2005, 04:13 AM
I can't concentrate because I'm too darn worried about Ray's psychosis.

William Haskins
03-02-2005, 04:21 AM
my arms fell off

JenNipps
03-02-2005, 04:28 AM
What are your best excuses for not using the BIC method? A few that come to mind are "my back hurts so I can't sit at the computer" and "I suck at writing."

Unfortunately, in my case, the back thing is very true. But I've been doing what I can longhand.

Excuses I usually use? "I don't have time right now" or "Nobody will buy it anyway."

Lisa Y
03-02-2005, 04:44 AM
The back "excuse" is, unfortunately, real to me too. I always try to convince myself I can at least write in a notebook propped up on the couch (I guess that is still technically BIC- butt in couch)??

maestrowork
03-02-2005, 04:45 AM
I went out of BIC pens.

awatkins
03-02-2005, 04:50 AM
I have to watch American Idol.

William Haskins
03-02-2005, 04:50 AM
i was down to one pen, and i left in the eye of that dude on the bus that smelled like corn chips.

SRHowen
03-02-2005, 05:09 AM
I can't feel my fingers---

Shawn

ChunkyC
03-02-2005, 05:14 AM
my arms fell off
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emoterofl5.gif

Well you see, I was eaten by wild dogs, so I took the afternoon off.

maestrowork
03-02-2005, 05:20 AM
I've used this one before, and Barb bought it: The racoon ate it.

JenNipps
03-02-2005, 06:15 AM
(I guess that is still technically BIC- butt in couch)??

Yup. For me, I guess it'd be BIB - Butt in bed. lol.

maestrowork
03-02-2005, 06:28 AM
BIT for me....

(Butt in Toilet)

WVWriterGirl
03-02-2005, 07:17 AM
I use the back excuse, too. Another is that my hands hurt. But I also like, "But I'm stuck at this one part...I have to wait until it speaks to me."

WVWG

JenNipps
03-02-2005, 07:54 AM
BIT for me....

(Butt in Toilet)

Uhhh..... TMI, Maestro! lol

Lisa Y
03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
"BIT for me....

(Butt in Toilet)"

:roll: :ROFL:

SRHowen
03-02-2005, 03:56 PM
BIC

Because I can't---

And I'm the mommy and I said so.

Shawn

Nivvie
03-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Eyes, always with the sore, blurred, headach-ie, can't find glasses eyes.

biotales
03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
1. Because I am just not in the mood.....
2. I am waiting for inspiretion to hit me....
3. Space Aliens..... if the top 2 do not work.... then I blame the space aliens.

Shiny_Penguin
03-02-2005, 06:20 PM
I need new glasses
the dog keeps interrupting me
the cat needs to be petted

Moondancer
03-02-2005, 07:47 PM
BIT for me....

(Butt in Toilet)

Surely not in it... Wouldn't that be kind of messy?

Maryn
03-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm surprised not to have seen my all-time favorite yet.

I'm too tired. If I make myself write when I'm tired, it will be terrible, so bad there's nothing to salvage. It always is, and I always end up deleting the whole thing. So what's the point?

Now, where'd I set the remote...

Maryn, who really can't write well most evenings

TwoKeys
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
1. The odds of success are so slim.
2. I'll do it tomorrow.
3. Lemme just check my mail first.

BIT for me....

(Butt in Toilet)

I can see BOT, but BIT? Wouldn't that technically make it BIW (Butt is Wet)?

Betty W01
03-02-2005, 08:30 PM
My back hurts [it usually does, while sitting here]
My head hurts [need new glasses]
I should check and see what's up on the boards first...
I'm too tired.
I don't have anything I really want to write.
Dirty clothes (dishes, floors, bathrooms - pick one or all of the preceeding) need doing [almost always true]

All combated by "JUST WRITE, DADGUMMIT!!!

(well, except for #3 - I'm obsessed...)

sassandgroove
03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Why not dig deeper guys. Why are you making the excuses. My writing time was in the morning before work. I was writing steadily for several months and happy doing it. Then I got married. My husband's car has broken down and we decided to delay fixing it to pay for wedding, etc. That means I have to drive him to work. Ahh, an excuse not to write! My job starts at 9am which was ideal because I didn't have to get up at 4am to have time to write. But Hubby's got to be there at 730, and it's too far to drive back home to squeeze in writing time. (right?) So a few months go by and I grow grumpy and frustrated. I say, we need to get the car fixed so I can write. more time goes by. More not writing occurs. Then one day the light dawns. It's not the car. It's me. I have a pen. I have a notepad. Who says I have to be at home to write? I'm still struggling to get back in the groove, even though I have been writing most days. I've hit another excuse. That waiting for inspiration one. I realized that what really stops me is fear. Fear of finishing. Fear of it sucking. Fear that it won't suck, (and here's the kicker) and it won't just be my own story, but it will take on a life of its own. My point is look at not just the excuse by why you make it.

JenNipps
03-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Uh, hello? I thought this was just in fun. In reading other responses, you will see that it's just in fun. THe point is, everybody makes excuses at one time or another, but we still get the writing done.

I see this thread as a way to laugh at ourselves, not saying that we make the excuses and then don't do anything.

Kate StAmour
03-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm not feeling "inspired."
I'm just not "focused" enough to write.
My Carpal Tunnel is acting up.

SRHowen
03-04-2005, 07:05 AM
This is in fun.

Take a chill pill, and come on back.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/edoom/eat_arrow.gif

Compton
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
-Faulty smoke detector interrupting me

-Pants are on fire

-House is on fire

-Too busy perfecting my 'stop drop and roll' technique

Lisa Y
03-04-2005, 03:51 PM
This post was, of course, meant to be fun. Sort of making a joke out of those times when all of us just can't sit and write. Unfortunately, "those times" for me have lasted a very long time, probably due to fear and "sucking" (see PA thread), but I am amazed at how many "reasons" my brain can think of.:idea:

I used to get up at 4-5am and write, but now "I'm too tired" and if I'm going to get up that early, I should probably exercise or do yoga or something to relieve my stress and anxiety (see anxiety thread). But I don't get up early to do that either!:Shrug:

"My son exhausts me so there is nothing left at the end of the day"

My favorite (to use during my lunch time at work) is "I can't eat and write at the same time) and I also like "I don't have enough of a block of time to get anything decent down"

WordSoup
03-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I can't write now - I must clean!

There's more hairballs on the carpet than there is on the Collie - or in the cat.

Laundry breeds while I'm not looking.

There's an odor coming from the bathroom - and it's not my husband.

I have a phobia of crumbles on linolium.

The fuzziness of every TV program is NOT the cable company's fault.

My houseplants are showing separation anxiety since I started working. They are leaving crispy brown notes all over the house.

I've learned it takes longer to hide the dirty dishes in the oven, than it does to wash them.

Out of desparation, I'm jotting down ideas on dust-covered endtables.

If I could just get a handle on all this housework, I could have several minutes of guilt-free creativity.

JanaLanier
03-04-2005, 09:41 PM
The whiny puppy needs a walk.

Must beat top score in Tetris.

Hmmm... is there any of that leftover Chinese food still in the fridge?

Melina
03-05-2005, 06:44 PM
1. I need to get some sleep.

2. My writing sucks when I'm this tired.

3. I'm not good enough anyway.

That last one is the one that usually gets me...

Melina

Dawno
03-07-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm a full time taxi service to two non-driving teens:Headbang:

zeprosnepsid
03-07-2005, 05:50 AM
I always end up doing other things that I have put off, but would rather put writing off instead. So when I start doing crazy things like cleaning the house or laundry, it becomes overly obvious that i'm avoiding something.

But my number one reason for putting off writing is -- I can do it tomorrow.

JenNipps
03-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Here's mine for now: I just got home and I'm too tired to mess with it.

(Of course, here in about 10 minutes, I do need to get an article finished for the state writers' group newsletter.)

Fractured_Chaos
03-07-2005, 03:25 PM
The one that actually came up, over the past three weeks...

My finace has taken over the computer until 2-3 am with Evercrack, and won't let me use it!!!!!

Thank goodness he starts his new job in a few hours, and I can actually have the computer in the evenings when I get home! :hooray:

maestrowork
03-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm bored.

sassandgroove
03-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I know this was meant in fun. But I also know that I dont' feel good when I give into my excuses. That's all I meant.

We all have those days when you sit down to write and your mind goes to that place. Man, what are you doing? What are those, words? Looks like **** to me. Why not go to that coffee shop. Yeah, caffiene. You need some jetfuel to inspire you. Oh, but first, have you noticed the laundry, that smell is not the creepy old lady from next door. And what is that stuff in your fridge? HINT* it's called mold. You should probably clean it. ANd after that, you haven't seen your dreamboat in a while. Yeah, yeah, call him. What was that, over there. Oh, the tv. You need to watch mindless drivel. That will surely inspire you. Or go to the movies. Something is bound to pop up there. And you can write tomorrow.
But tomorrow never comes.

Wandering Sensei
03-09-2005, 01:19 AM
1. I'm too depressed over the fact that my writing sucks.
2. The laundry's piling up.
3. The cat wants in my lap.
4. Not now. I'm too tired. And there's this movie on....

Sarita
03-09-2005, 02:27 AM
"I don't have enough of a block of time to get anything decent down"

This is my number 1 excuse of all time!!! I find my husband saying "Why don't you do some writing tonight? I'm dying to know what happens to Chasca."

"Oh, you know I don't have a nice chunk of time tonight. I wouldn't get anything done." Blahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

How about -Need to chase the cats out of the house plants.
-I hate my job and it stresses me out so much that I can't focus on my writing.
-too busy picking out my cover design to write. :D

paprikapink
03-15-2005, 02:11 AM
-- I'm a sloth reincarnated as a human, only not all the way.

-- Editors reject me; the folks at the Water Cooler let me write and post and write and post and write and post....let's see, should I beat my head against the brick wall or the cushiony one?

-- I truly truly I mean it hate my word processing program.

-pkpk

Vipersniper
03-15-2005, 07:19 AM
:scared: My other personality won't let me.
My other personality is suing me for the copyright.
The other personalities don't agree on anything.
None of my other personalities are speaking to me.:o
My husband is running a virus scan.
My other personalities got the virus.
I have been told that I have no apptitude for my hobby of writing.
57 Friends of Jesus are picketing my essays.
Did I mention one of them said that I had no apptitude for writing and that I should find another hobby.
They want my new hobby to fianance their church which they throwed me out of.
Because I have no apptitude for writing and my other personalities sent them a stink bomb.
One of my other personalities is the press agent for PublishAmerica.
But the one personalities stole my big royalty check.
Another personality says that I should find another hobby.
I hate it when he talks to the picketers.
My dog just ate one of the picketers.

Kida Adelyne
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM
-I'm Hungry (It's amazing how many times I get up to go to the fridge while writing)
-Mr. Bubbles has fallen asleep (Mr. B. is the Muse)
-I can write it later
-(later) I can write it tomorow
-(tomorow)It's to late to write it now
-I don't have any idea's for the current story, but a great idea for a new one and if I sit down I'll start writing the new one, and the old one will never get finished.
-Wait! I love this song!

JenNipps
03-15-2005, 08:30 PM
-I can't, I have to work on the contest stuff.
-I can't. My nails are too long and either get caught between keys or I hit more than one key at a time.