PDA

View Full Version : A slight twinge

gerrydodge
12-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Well, a few months ago I began to query my latest detective novel and after a few weeks I received a positive response from a major agency. The agent liked the novel, but wanted some changes. This had happened to me a year before with another novel and the first time around I made the revisions--to the tune of three months of work--and then the agent decided she didn't like the changes. This time, with this detective novel, I made the revisions--which I agreed made the novel better--but then I decided I would query other agents. One agent, a few weeks ago, asked for a partial and now has asked for the whole ms. This agent has the backing of a major part of the film industry behind him. I am sending out the rest of the novel, but what if the original agent now wants to sign me? They are both powerful agencies and the novel I now have is much better because of the changes the first agent suggested. Am I in any way being unethical? I want to sell my work, damn it! I just don't know.

CheshireCat
12-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Until you have a signed agreement between yourself and an agent, you don't owe him or her anything. As a professional courtesy, if you get an offer of representation from the second agent (or any other) I would notify the first agent -- assuming he or she is still considering your revised work.

gerrydodge
12-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Until you have a signed agreement between yourself and an agent, you don't owe him or her anything. As a professional courtesy, if you get an offer of representation from the second agent (or any other) I would notify the first agent -- assuming he or she is still considering your revised work.

It's kind of you to respond. I know you're right, but I just feel like this agent has helped the novel and me. I just want to make sure if the agent makes an offer for representation I'm not being a bastard by alerting the first agent to that fact. It's just business, right?