PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of fantasies....

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 02:15 AM
How many have fantasized about a different life than your real life? And what happens in that fantasy life of yours?

scarletpeaches
12-05-2007, 02:17 AM
It usually involves Joaquin Phoenix and a bucket of chocolate ice cream.

Oh, you mean the OTHER sort of fantasy? Oh, yes. Sometimes I fantasise about being able to get up on stage and sing to an audience. A popular 'dream' I'm told, but I wouldn't be in it for fame; just to prove to myself I could do it. I like the idea of having the nerve to sing to an audience and for them not to have cotton wool in their ears...

III
12-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Besides the obvious fantasies of Rock Star and Idolized Author, I've often thought about how great it would be to have a small restaurant with my dad and just cook whatever we wanted, and teach the kids to cook and serve. Seems like it would be a very enjoyable life.

WendyNYC
12-05-2007, 02:26 AM
You mean, aside from my fantasy of being a famous author? No, not really. I'm pretty happy with my life. At one time, around high school, I wanted to be a journalist--specifically a war correspondent. Like Christanne Amanpour. She's cool.

andrewhollinger
12-05-2007, 03:00 AM
I don't fantasize about another life, exactly.

Sometimes, though, I wonder where I would be and what I would be doing if I had made other decisions. Suppose I went to a different university? Or chose a different degree? What if I gave up on writing? What if I spent my money differently?

Hindsight is 20/20? That's not always true. I have no idea what would've happened, and that's what I wonder about sometimes.

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 03:09 AM
How many have fantasized about a different life than your real life? And what happens in that fantasy life of yours?What? And give up my cot? Oh wait, I already traded that in for a used bed and a borrowed pillow. What a life.

Siddow
12-05-2007, 03:15 AM
At times, I fantasize about living in the city/by the beach/anywhere but here as a single gal, but then my husband or kids do something so adorable that I wonder if I would really choose to have never married/birthed them.

rhymegirl
12-05-2007, 03:19 AM
Oh God, I fantasize about having a different life every day. That's why I'm a writer.

Akuma
12-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Over the years I get this one recycled:

I get shot in the gut protecting a girl I like, and as I lay dying she's realizing how right I was for her. Too bad it was too late, nya nya!

jst5150
12-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Easy one: being able to fly.

Aslera
12-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Ditto. Flying. Having wings.

robeiae
12-05-2007, 05:17 AM
I fantasize about being Ray.

Well, "fantasize" isn't actually the right word...

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 05:30 AM
What is the right word?

brokenfingers
12-05-2007, 05:32 AM
I have a feeling my fantasy is gonna seem kinda off the wall for some people here, but what can I say. You asked for it.

One fantasy of mine is to pit my driving skills against the world: no mercy, no quarter, no rules. Just me with my hands on the wheel of my metallic beast, total concentration focused on what's ahead of me while raging hordes of demons chase me, howling for my destruction.

Some people may say, “Well, there’s racing…” but I say, Nope. That’s too tame.

I want to feel that peace and freedom that comes with putting your hands on the wheel and knowing that this is it. Nothing else matters. Not the past nor the future. Only Here. And Now.

A winner-take-all, full-tilt, full-speed trial to the death.

Crazy, I know. But awesome too. To me, that's how it feels to be alive sometimes - and I love it.

dolores haze
12-05-2007, 05:35 AM
I have a feeling my fantasy is gonna seem kinda off the wall for some people here, but what can I say. You asked for it.

One fantasy of mine is to pit my driving skills against the world: no mercy, no quarter, no rules. Just me with my hands on the wheel of my metallic beast, total concentration focused on what's ahead of me while raging hordes of demons chase me, howling for my destruction.

I want to feel that peace and freedom that comes with putting your hands on the wheel and knowing that this is it. Nothing else matters. Not the past nor the future. Only Here. And Now.

Crazy, I know. But awesome too. To me, that's how it feels to be alive sometimes - and I love it.

You could always try driving in Paris. That would be rather close to your fantasy.

brokenfingers
12-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Hmmm... maybe my fantasy derived from the fact that I grew up driving in New York City. I never considered that.

This would be a little more extreme though.

jst5150
12-05-2007, 05:42 AM
What is the right word?
Jazzersize

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 05:44 AM
You could always try driving in Paris. That would be rather close to your fantasy.Or Japan, Turkey, London, Spain isn't so bad, but then again try Phoenix if you want to live life on the edge.

kalel32
12-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Just telling off my boss after he makes another stupid mistake. Then telling him what that I really own the company and hes fired.

CandlestickJay
12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
To be able to do all of this at once -

Be a famous Broadway Actress
Have a book on somebody big's Bestseller list
Marry a hot (and sweet and funny) Frenchman
Write Opinion articles for the Times
Direct a UIL One Act Play that goes all the way to State competition
Put out a CD, Christmas, Christian, anything.
Live in France
Travel the world at least once a year
Put my parents in a condo on the beach for retirement (oh wait I lied that is THEIR fantasy...)

Yeah. All of that. One lifetime. Heck yes.

writerterri
12-05-2007, 08:05 AM
In my fantasy life I have more money than month. And a mustache.

paprikapink
12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Funny you should ask. My kids and I watched Randy Pausch (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5700431505846055184) give his "Last Lecture," wherein he talks about living your dreams (he's got non-operable liver cancer). He itemized all his childhood dreams (play in the nfl, be an imagineer, etc.) and how they've panned out. After, my youngest asked me how I was doing with my childhood dreams. I looked at her, thought a minute...and burst into tears! Suddenly I remembered my childself, wishing we didn't live in such a bad neighborhood, wishing I had a mom and dad who loved each other and didn't have to work all the time, wishing our car didn't break down all the time, wishing we could still buy food even if it was still a few days before payday, wishing my school weren't so scary. Wow. We have all that stuff. I'm not the kid who benefits, but my kids are, and that's just as good. My husband, poor fellow, thinks we're "poor." But I know better! Oh, and I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. :)

[If you follow the link -- allow time for it. It's like an hour and 45 minutes. The first ten minutes are yadda yadda. The rest is awesome. Git yer tissues.]

Unique
12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
How many have fantasized about a different life than your real life? And what happens in that fantasy life of yours?

fantasized? ha. three down, six to go.

>''<

Bmwhtly
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I do. Constantly (not that there's a great deal wrong with my life).

But, unless the dead rise, it'll never happen. It's just comforting to know that I have a plan.

Inky
12-05-2007, 12:59 PM

They call that the autobahn.
It rocks.
I've reached 165 mph.
Linkin Park rocked with me.
Might I suggest a Jaguar to accomplish this? They glide at these speeds.
Oh...and Germany.
Cops will wet their panties, if you try this in the states.

Inky
12-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Fantasy.
It would involve a claymore in one hand...painted on black leather pants, thigh boots, and a lover resembling Drizzt. Battles, sex, adventure.
Tolkien would blush.

And fangs. Must have fangs. Not me, silly, the hot Drow biting into my neck...uhhh huhhhh!!!

I would make a kick-ass warrior goddess!!!

Bmwhtly
12-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Might I suggest a Jaguar to accomplish this? But then you'd spend the whole time in a cloud of steam.
Aston Martin. That's the puppy.

Inky
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Ferrari.
'nuff said.

Bmwhtly
12-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Pfffft. Give me a DB9 over your Ferrari.

Inky
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Well...welll....give me KILT over your TROUSERS!! :e2tongue:

Inky
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
...and stop changing your signature line!

It's making me batty.

Inky
12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
*stomps off...grumbling....*

gonna talk 'bout my Jaguar...then make comparisons to my Ferrrari....drive my Ferrari right his uptight Ashton arse...AND make him wax his legs....and...and...no cream with his tea!!!

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
They call that the autobahn.
It rocks.
I've reached 165 mph.
Linkin Park rocked with me.
Might I suggest a Jaguar to accomplish this? They glide at these speeds.
Oh...and Germany.
Cops will wet their panties, if you try this in the states.

I :heart: autobahn.

Inky
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
New fantasy!
Blame Maestro's avatar.
Me + Ray +...er...mayhaps I should put this over at the erotica thread? :e2brows:

KTC
12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
In my fantasy, I can sing. That's it.

JimmyB27
12-05-2007, 03:33 PM
I just want to travel. Me, a bicycle and the open road.

Awesome.

seun
12-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Being invincible in a zombie apocalypse would be really cool.

KTC
12-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Being invincible in a zombie apocalypse would be really cool.

I believe it's been done.

seun
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
I believe it's been done.

Damn it. Why was I not informed?

Bmwhtly
12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Being invincible in a zombie apocalypse would be really cool.who need invincibility when you've got a Plan?

Nobody, that's who.

maddythemad
12-05-2007, 04:05 PM
I have a fantasy I'll grow up to be really famous and really rich and really f*cked up.

Hopefully I'll grow out of it. :D

Zelenka
12-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Other than being a published author, I have a daft kind of fantasy where I'd love to be a guest on QI. Sort of links into the published author thing, I suppose.

Every holiday I go on, too, I have this fantasy I'm going to meet Mr Right. Three holidays planned for next year at the moment, so it still could happen, right?

seun
12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
who need invincibility when you've got a Plan?

Nobody, that's who.

What's the plan? Hide in the cellar and watch the daughter chomp on her mother?

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
What's the plan? Hide in the cellar and watch the daughter chomp on her mother?

How do I suddenly crave hamburgers?

brokenfingers
12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Hahahaha! I guess I need to clarify. My fantasy isn’t to drive fast. I do that everyday anyway. I don't want the autobahn or Paris or New York or any plain old road or street.

My fantasy is to be involved in the ultimate chase. Through American highways, city streets, rural roads – whatever. It’s as if word has been put out that there’s a million dollar bounty on my head and everyone and their mother who owns a car is gunning for me.

It’s a no holds barred race of mayhem and destruction- full of wrecks, explosions and danger. And there are only two choices – win or die.

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 05:32 PM
You have anger issues. ;)

BenPanced
12-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Besides the body mods?

Like every guy dreams about and so few get to achieve: rock star.

Inky
12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Ooooh, yeah, rock star.
I'd be the next Janis Joplin, and everyone would be shocked to discover my dad is Robert Plant.

What, you thought I'd want him as a lover?

No. You allll know who my lover is.

Say it together at the count of three.
Ready?
one
two
three

ORLANDO BLOOM!!!

But sometimes I cheat on him with Hugh Jackman and have been known to enjoy a manaja toi with Gerard Butler and Fabio Cannavaro :popcorn:

Pooter takes notes, when I'm not looking.

Maryn
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
My fantasies are small and revolve around being a different personality type than I really am. What if I were one of those people who had always been confident in herself, unafraid to go after what she wants, unfazed by rejection? Would I have married better? (Cuter or more money at the time, possibly, but I'm not sure that's better in the long haul.) Would I have majored in something else at school, and had a rewarding career instead of a series of jobs I couldn't wait to leave? Would I have started writing earlier, realized (rightly or wrongly) that I was pretty damned good, and kept at it until I had an agent, multiple books in print, yada-yada-yada, instead of being afraid to send out my query letter because there are so few agents repping my genre that I can't afford to blow my chances? Would I wear bright colors despite the substantial size of my ass, or be unafraid to dress kind of weird, or age-inappropriately, or all melodramatic?

I dunno. I'm just mousy me, lacking confidence in my daily life. Sigh...

Maryn, who has days like this, so no real cause for concern

Bmwhtly
12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
What's the plan? Hide in the cellar and watch the daughter chomp on her mother?No, that's a lousy plan.

The plan is that I (and anyone else who wants to come) comandeer one of the rig-supply boats that park in the harbour across the street from my flat.

Then we can lie a little ways off-shore without fear of being attacked, occasionally raiding the mainland for supplies.

Of course, after a while either the authorities will get the situation on land under control and we can return. Or, more likely, a helicopter full of military brass that was on it's way back to the UK from Geneva hears that it's landing zone has been over-run so lands on one of the Oil Rigs.
From there, they start broadcasting. We'd hear the broadcast and go find them.

From then on, we'd mosre than likely spend our time looting supplies from the mainland to exchange for fuel from the rig.

WerenCole
12-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I fantasize that I have done what I always wanted to do.

And I do not call it a fantasy, I call it a future reality. The pain and sacrifice to this point of life is aimed at achieving these "fantasies."

C.bronco
12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I have my goals, grand as they are, they are technically goals and not fantasies. Fantasies are more along the lines of "Wouldn't it be fun to be a:
gunslinger in the Wild West
Viking
new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts
sword weilding warrior etc etc"

Jaycinth
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
This is an interesting topic.

I think if my father had lived longer I would have either gone to law school or become an accountant, or both.

Instead, I decided on a journalism major, changed that to visual communications, graduated and went into sales, management and stuff before it hit me across the head that maybe dad was right, and I decided to become an accountant. I may go back and study law after I’ve put both kids through undergraduate studies.

On the other hand, I also fantasize I hadn’t allowed my self to be derailed from writing when I was a journalism student. All I did was mention that I wanted to write a novel like LOTR and BAM! Everyone came down hard on me (why you want to write hippie trash….no one will read it). If I had pursued that dream then I’d be finishing up on novel # 20 instead of starting novel # 3. I might not be published…but I’d be a lot closer.

I also kinda wanted to live in a big house and have 8 kids. That dream was part of the ‘journalist’ dream. I mean I could have stayed home and written articles…or novels …now that I think of it. But that dream pre-supposes a helpful and supportive mate who is also gainfully employed.

I wanted to be a rock star for a while until I realized that job entails being nice to people on a regular basis. Kind of like retail.

And of course the big part of me still fantsizes that I am the lady in black leather who rides into town, solves the big problem, does the handsome, studly sheriff, and leaves with swords crossed and whips furled, at sunset on the third day, in a cloud of dust.

Ok. With a cloud of dust following me. I do not want to mess my pretty shiny hair.

Melisande
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I fantasize, sometimes, that the world is at peace. And sometimes that I was born beautiful. I've had dreams about going into space, and I fantasize about being able to travel in time; Aah, the people I wish to meet...

There are days when I fantasize that I'm able to write, able to speak every language and able to connect to people far beyond me reach.

But the main thing I fantasize about is that lots of people would listen to, and respect, my opinion. Well, we're talking dreams here, so why not?

maestrowork
12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Go shopping naked:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2007/12/05/az.naked.shoppers.ktvk

Shadow_Ferret
12-06-2007, 01:34 AM
In my fantasies, I never married, never had kids, I'm an unattached bachelor, who sits and drinks in his favorite bar every night... and I'm immensely happy.

The_Grand_Duchess
12-06-2007, 02:15 AM
In my fantasies someone loves me.

And then I look around and see that someone does. Two little someones.

Yeah. That's about it.

CandlestickJay
12-06-2007, 04:56 AM
In my fantasies someone loves me.

And then I look around and see that someone does. Two little someones.

Yeah. That's about it.

Awwww that's really sweet!

And I forgot something... I want to be a Lady.

The kind that starts out like a pampered princess and then has to fight for her life from her kidnappers and escape and run into the handsome prince who wants to whisk her away but they have to protect the kingdom that she is supposed to inherit from the drop dead gorgeous bad guy whom she has a short but hot affair with when she finds out that the handsome prince may have died.

But then the prince comes back and kills the bad guy (who was actually a jerk anyway) and we get married and rule the kingdom together.

The end.

YES!

JimmyB27
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Awwww that's really sweet!

And I forgot something... I want to be a Lady.

The kind that starts out like a pampered princess and then has to fight for her life from her kidnappers and escape and run into the handsome prince who wants to whisk her away but they have to protect the kingdom that she is supposed to inherit from the drop dead gorgeous bad guy whom she has a short but hot affair with when she finds out that the handsome prince may have died.

But then the prince comes back and kills the bad guy (who was actually a jerk anyway) and we get married and rule the kingdom together.

The end.

YES!
And is your name Mary-Sue in this fantasy? ;)

eodmatt
12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
You need to expand on this theme. It has great potential. Needs a snappy title. I know, how about Cinderella?

Bmwhtly
12-06-2007, 01:54 PM
In my fantasies...I'm an unattached bachelor, who sits and drinks in his favorite bar every night...You're right, my life Rocks.

and I'm immensely happy.almost