Am I a weirdo because...?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have never seen a Star Wars movie?

An acquante of mine has just told me that how I could consider myself a Movie Buff if I haven't seen it

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen it either. And I'm glad.

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
Please step away from this forum and never return. ;)

LOL!

Yes, you're weird. :tongue

The only one that was really spectacular was the first one (#4). It was a genre breaker. But if you watch it now, you'll probably say, "Pfft, this is dated."

(The tougher question: Have you seen Soylent Green?)

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I've never seen a Star Wars movie and I never want to. We even have them on video, but I won't be watching them.

I have seen Soylent Green, and loved it.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
i don't understand about being so adamant against seeing a movie. what's the big deal. you watch it. you like it or you hate it or something in between.

here's the real question: have you seen ThumbWars? i learned everything i needed to know about StarWars from this flicker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ06RKGcPBI

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The only movie I'll never watch is The Notebook.

mara_jade3

Broken Pixie
Registered
Reaction score
omg! How can so many people be so against the Star Wars films?? They are my all time favorites. I'm 25 and didn't see the first trilogy until I was like 15. It wasn't dated for me. The story was gripping and pulled me in. I loved them! Though I don't like The Phantom Menace. I'll admit that one is bad, but I love the others, as you might guess from my screen name on here if you know anything about the comics and novels. lol :) Yes, I am a geek and I'll let the world know it!

~Proud Star Wars Freak

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
The original three were great when I was a kid, but I haven't watched them since I was around 15. No urge to do so again.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The original three were great when I was a kid, but I haven't watched them since I was around 15. No urge to do so again.

Yeah...don't. You'll be disappointed. The others...the newer ones...were the worst pieces of shit ever produced. They were marketing ploys and didn't even try to hide the fact. I took my son to the first one and we walked out. 1 of 2 movies I ever walked out on...and the other wasn't even because of content but because of ass-hats in the audience. That movie was the worst piece of puppy puddles I have ever seen. Absolute crap. I still want my money back.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

An acquante of mine has just told me that how I could consider myself a Movie Buff if I haven't seen it
If you write sci-fi or fantasy, then yes, you are not only weird, but you're a freak.

If you're more the mainstream type, then no. My wife has never seen Star Wars and I doubt very much if my brother-in-law has ever seen it. But then he's never seen LOTR, or any other sci-fi/fantasy movie or read any book like that there either.

My wife I have to live with. My brother-in-law I try to associate with as little as possible.

Yeah...don't. You'll be disappointed.
I heartily disagree. The original three are still the same rollicking good time they were back when I first watched them. The new three, I'm not so keen on. Love the state of the special effects, but not much else. My son, on the other hand, loves all six movies.

Last edited:

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
i hate it when people think they're movie buffs just because they "like" movies.

real movie buffs see anything and everything worth seeing which validates and legitimizes their opinions. you have to be able to compare the good, the bad, and the ugly to the great ones with valid reasons that you can back up.

real movie buffs will squeeze in at least 5 movies a week. they seek out the obscure and independent that don't get the marketing. they can flick the channels and find 20 different movies at any given moment and must choose which one to watch again because they've seen them all. etc...

i hate it when people have stupid reasons for not seeing a movie. ie. - that last, most ridiculous reason - i won't see Crash because i can't stand sandra bullock. well honey, Crash ain't no sandra bullock movie.

okay, that was my morning rant. now, i'm late for work.

carry on as you were.

RedandGold

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't what movies you have seen - or not seen. It is the reasons why you have or haven't seen those movies to decides your wierdness quotient.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
If you ever do see Star Wars, watch the original trilogy first. You're not missing much not seeing the prequels.

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
(re: Soylent Green) Yes, twice in fact.

Okay, Prince Zuko. You've passed my test. :D

Now, regarding Star Wars. Episode Four from 1977. . . (I agree with others here, the new Star Wars prequels are beyond horrible.)

But, "A New Hope". You kinda gotta see it if you want to keep your movie buff reputation intact. Reason?

When it came out, it blew audiences away. It was a whole new genre of filmmaking. People had never before seen a movie with (REALISTIC) space ships, aliens, robots, vroom vroom, zap, pow, and swash-swash-buckle-buckle. It was like a comic book coming to life. Time Magazine had a huge spread on it (cover page, too.) And when that mega mother ship crossed the screen audiences were simply stunned into silence.

Forget the naysayers. You've got to see at least that first one.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
And when that mega mother ship crossed the screen audiences were simply stunned into silence.
If I were to make a list of stunning movie moments, that one would be in the top 10 along with when they went into hyperspace and the stars all flashed past.

Both those moments drew gasps from the audience.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I grew up watching Star Wars (and Empire, and Jedi). I love them and always will. However, there are lots of classic and culturally influential films that I haven't seen (Citizen Kane always comes to mind) that I know I should. It isn't that I don't want to see them, I just don't think to watch them. Not with so many movies coming out every week. I'll never catch up.

But I'm curious about the folks who declare "I won't ever watch it." Um, why not? No time? Moral reason? Spitting in the face of pop culture? I'm genuinely curious.

I feel like my mother saying, "You won't know if you like it unless you try it." ;)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I started an 'I've Never Seen' thread a while ago - just about movies that are really popular but that I have a feeling, mostly based on subject matter, that I'll enjoy as much as chewing wool.

'Star Wars' wasn't in it, cos I tried it. Didn't get through it, but tried!

Oh, and I'm not a film buff. I watch films I think I'll enjoy or out of curiosity.