PDA

View Full Version : The AlphaSmart Neo Fan Club Thread

scarletpeaches
12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
This morning I got a council tax bill for 264. They want it all paid by 1st January. You'd think they could divide it up into installments, but no. They're quick enough to send you not a bill, but a 'PAYMENT DEMAND' - and when they owe you money, it's a different story.

So anyway. I have the money in the bank so it's not a problem. But I was thinking...if I could come to some arrangement with them whereby I pay it in installments, I could use the cash I have to buy one of these beauties...

http://atl.img.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/alphasm/image/2/2/0/220_Neo.jpg

All I have to find out now is whether they're sold in shops or just online.

*droolydroolydrool*

Inky
12-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Across the pond, we call it the IRS.
Translation: Blood sucking demons

They operate in the same manner. Pay them or they show up with guns and take your house.
When they owe you, they're philosophy is: as long as we owe you, you'll never go broke.
But they DO allow payment plans. Zeus, don't be late. I've been lucky, and never had to deal with these foul breathed sucubus' of life, but have read horror stories. And then, the gods smiled down upon us, and they fell under investigation.
Translation: They pissed off the wrong people in the Great White House--gah!
People were fired.
Positions shifted.
Heavy fines.
But, alas, it was too late. Suicides had been committed....how do you redeem that by way of money?

Anyhoo, seems a bit crass not to be able to set up payment plans. Getting their money is the bottom line. With a payment plan--it's a win-win situation. Then again, there may have to be a certain pound amount in order to qualify. Under 500.00 pounds may be considered too trivial for them to deal with stretching it out...because everyone has that kind of money laying around...collecting dust...so, here, they'll lift it for you...

We'll picket.
Works for writers.
If Hollywood can do it, why not us?
We'll bring men in kilts...our emergency flashers, if you will...
*runs...laughing hysterically...*

KTC
12-04-2007, 04:03 PM
There's only one distributor for those in Canada and they gouge. We can go across the border and get them at a ridiculously lower price. I just haven't had the chance yet...but I do want one. For those times when a laptop is just too big. (Although...I haven't had one of those times yet?)

scarletpeaches
12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
It's the battery life that impresses me. My laptop battery gave up the ghost a couple of years ago; now I use it plugged into the mains all the time. But there's no way I'd take it out of the house anyway; it's too valuable. And there are too many distractions on it. Games, photos, other files...and internet too, if I ever get around to wireless.

cletus
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
No, this bill would be from the local government, not the Inland Revenue. Inland Revenue is our version of the IRS.

This reminds me I have to pay this month's council tax bill. Our local council allows us to pay in installments. If I miss one they send a nastygram. If I miss two in a year they send a nastygram and demand the remainder of the balance. I haven't had any nastygrams this year, but I had 4 last year. Everytime I paid the payment I missed and they continued to let me pay by installments.

As far as the AlphaSmart goes, I've never seen one in a shop. I own an AlphaSmart 3000, which I bought online a couple of months before it was superseded by the NEO.

KTC
12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
It's the battery life that impresses me. My laptop battery gave up the ghost a couple of years ago; now I use it plugged into the mains all the time. But there's no way I'd take it out of the house anyway; it's too valuable. And there are too many distractions on it. Games, photos, other files...and internet too, if I ever get around to wireless.

That is very true. That is one of the reasons I've always wanted an Alpha...no distractions, more writing time. The battery thing is a good point too, though Starbucks and places like that have outlets at every table now for that sort of thing.

Inky
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Okay, can one of you give me a list of all these tax offices that will be clammoring for mi' money?
We're retiring in Scotland--hush, PeachWench--and I'd like to have a heads up as to who all will be in my back pocket.

cletus
12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
It's the battery life that impresses me.
My AS300 is 3-4 years old and I'm still using the original 3 AA batteries that came with it. There is a battery meter that tells me they're still at between 70-75%. I've written one complete novel first draft plus a number of abandoned false starts.

KTC
12-04-2007, 04:19 PM
My AS300 is 3-4 years old and I'm still using the original 3 AA batteries that came with it. There is a battery meter that tells me they're still at between 70-75%. I've written one complete novel first draft plus a number of abandoned false starts.

That's amazing! Renews my want for one.

cletus
12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Okay, can one of you give me a list of all these tax offices that will be clammoring for mi' money?
We're retiring in Scotland--hush, PeachWench--and I'd like to have a heads up as to who all will be in my back pocket.
Council Tax - Paid to the local council, based on the value of your home. Pays for rubbish collection, libraries, and other things that are far less useful.
Inland Revenue - Income tax.
TV Tax - Tax used to keep the BBC running. Absolute waste of money.
Road Tax - Tax paid to legally drive your car on the road.
VAT - Value Added Tax. 17.5% on most items. Unlike in the US this is already factored into the price displayed on the shelf.
Than there are taxes on things like petrol (gasoline), alcohol, and tobacco that make them stupidly expensive compared to most other countries.

AnneMarble
12-04-2007, 06:03 PM
I have the AlphaSmart Dana, which uses the Palm interface. I would have bought the Neo instead, but I wanted the increased storage space. Heck, I also wanted a new Palm that had better battery life than my Palm with the color screen. :D I do have the distractions of a few Palm games on it. It's also wireless, but I don't use the connection (yet). Still, I wish there was something with the battery life of the Neo and the storage capacity of the Dana.

If you get the Dana, whatever you do, follow the instructions when installing the software, hooking it up, etc. Especially if you already own (or owned) a Palm. I accidentally created problems for myself when I Hot Synched my old Palm identity onto the Dana. I should have removed it and simply reinstalled the files. It still worked, and usually worked well, but I got weird errors that even the tech support guy at WordSmith (don't like Docs to Go) had never seen before. :o

My salvation came a couple of weeks ago, when I finally decided to start all over again. I did a hard reset on my AlphaSmart. Then I moved my old Palm files and uninstalled everything, and I created a new identity (with the same name so my programs continued to work with it :D) and reinstalled them. Works like a dream now.
:e2bouncey

Devil Ledbetter
12-04-2007, 06:16 PM
One person in my local NaNo writing group had a Neo, and another had a Dana. I was sooooooooooooo jealous.

The Dana owner picked his up on eBay for $45 IIRC.

ShebaJones
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a Neo. I am a fan of the Neo.

They are not joking about the battery life. I change the batteries in mine once a year (whether it needs new ones or not). The good thing about that is that you don't even have to unload everything you've typed in to change the batteries. It has a little lithium battery that lasts a few years and keeps your data safe.

It's ridiculously easy to install (I had a hard time with it, but that's because I expected WinXP to, y'know, copy all the essential files it needed over). You can import the files directly into an open file with the AlphaSmart manager, or you can press Send and watch the text come up like a pair of invisible hands is typing insanely fast.

You can pick one up off eBay for a reduced price probably, but I think the price on new ones is coming down a bit since they're introducing the Neo2.

AnneMarble
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
You can pick one up off eBay for a reduced price probably, but I think the price on new ones is coming down a bit since they're introducing the Neo2.
There's a Neo2?!

*checks the site*

512 KB of data storage? Oh come on.
:e2smack:

I'll stick to the Dana for now. I like the ability to store multiple novels and short stories and then decide which one I'll work on. I can also store other documents, such as brainstorming chat transcripts. It would be nice to have a Neo or Neo2 for writing new stuff on the fly, but I'll put that on hold for now.

GeorgieB
12-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm another fan of the Neo. I bought mine in time for last year's NaNo and wrote most of that winning effort on it.

What I like:
1. Battery life, I'm still on the originals and have 47% left.
2. Keyboard...as good as or better than my ($$$) laptop.
3. On/off time. Quick, much faster than my laptop.
4. Seemingly indestructible. I've dropped it twice accidently) without damage. Try that with your laptop.
5. I can write anywhere. In fact, tomorrow my wife has a doctor appointment. I'll write while waiting. Done that many times.
6. Esay transfer of files to my laptop. Plug in the USB cable and press "send".

Reasons I dislike it:

(ummm...can't think of any)

Mayntz
12-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I adore my Neo. I bought it in January and have only changed the batteries once -- I didn't even need to, but I was going on a longish trip and didn't want to take the chance since it was my first time maybe needing new ones. I've used it 3-4 times a week ever since I bought it, and it's fabulous.

What I love most is traveling with it, particularly on planes. Seats are so crowded anymore, it's nuts, but the Neo is so tiny it's never a problem. And it's fast, convenient, and I especially like the word count feature. I don't ever use the spell check or the fancier features, though; it's a nice word processor that gives me portability that my desktop system just doesn't. I don't have a laptop, so having the ability to travel with my writing is fabulous.

Inky
12-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Okay, that traveling part has sold me. I'm forever hopping a flight to Scotland for a quick jaunt at research, and the laptop is not exactly friendly on those small RyanAir flights.
Now I just need to comparison shop between this Neo and Dana. I like what the poster said above about being able to create several files on the Dana; can't do that on a Neo?? I too make many changes, false starts...need to dash down some witty scene I don't want to forget, but won't need until much, much later...so the various files idea, I'm there.

I was not liking the idea of spending several weeks in Scotland without a means to write other than paper. If I don't create/write each day....it's like air has been cut off. I start writing on napkins. So this Neo thing sounds keen!!!

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2007, 09:24 PM
http://atl.img.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/alphasm/image/2/2/0/220_Neo.jpg

What the hell is that thing? Looks like a crappy old Canon typewriter I had that had one line of memory and printed to this special thermal paper.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/9/95/270px-Type.jpg

aka eraser
12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
I want one.

Very, very badly.

And to think I thought my life was darn-near complete - except for Susan Sarandon, a big ol' Wurlitzer and a roomful of 60s/70s era pinball machines.

Sigh.

AnneMarble
12-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Now I just need to comparison shop between this Neo and Dana. I like what the poster said above about being able to create several files on the Dana; can't do that on a Neo?? I too make many changes, false starts...need to dash down some witty scene I don't want to forget, but won't need until much, much later...so the various files idea, I'm there.
You can create multiple files on the Neo, but you're limited by storage space. Also, I think the file sizes are limited. But if you're just writing individual chapters, short stories, essays, articles, etc., it should be fine.

I have heard that it's harder to edit on the Neo. Editing on the Dana isn't great, either, but it beats editing on a Palm with a folding keyboard. :tongue

What the hell is that thing? Looks like a crappy old Canon typewriter I had that had one line of memory and printed to this special thermal paper.
It's not the best picture. Don't think of it as a typewriter -- think of it as a cute little word processor. The screen displays several lines -- and the wide screen means more text. (On the PDF (http://www.alphasmart.com/pdf/Neo_Retail_0607.pdf) at the site, it looks like it holds five lines at a time, but I'm sure the font size can be adjusted.) The Neo weighs barely two pounds and can print through both USB and wireless connections. They were designed to be used by students, so they're rugged. And the batteries last for ages.

The AlphaSmart Dana goes a step further and comes with the Palm operating system. This means I can use the Palm's address book, clock, etc., as well as Palm-based ebook readers, games, backup programs, etc. -- all of which I already owned and most of which were freeware. OK, the games do sometimes distract from the writing, but sometimes, I can use a hand or five of Solitaire Poker to help me think. :D I do sacrifice something in battery life. (The unit plugs in and recharges rather than using AAAs, although it does have a set of AAAs in there for something or another.)

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I'll keep my laptop. That little display would annoy me no end.

BenPanced
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I got my Neo last December. I only just replaced the batteries for the first time this past October. Having minimal distractions has made using this a dream. In fact, I fit almost all of my NaNo work on it this year.

DamaNegra
12-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I want one :cry: but apparently they don't ship internationally. *sigh*

chartreuse
12-04-2007, 11:25 PM
My BF surprised me with one as a gift awhile back. I absolutely love it - I take it on vacations, camping, etc. and can write whenever the mood strikes me without having to worry about transcribing my work into the computer later - just push a button and it all flows over quite nicely. (I get a kick out of watching the words appear on the computer screen during this process).

Akuma
12-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Peaches. Do you. . .do you have an accent?

scarletpeaches
12-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Well...of course I do. Is this a trick question? :D

Judg
12-05-2007, 05:30 AM

That's the only thing that has kept me from buying one. I already find a computer screen imposes tunnel vision on me and makes me feel cramped. That teeny little window would give me claustrophobia.

My 250-page notebook is very portable, survives being dropped, requires no batteries whatsoever... ;)

Akuma
12-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Well...of course I do. Is this a trick question? :D

All this time and I never knew. . .

Plot twist!

Birol
12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
How much do they weigh? I've seen how to transfer data from the Neo to the computer, but how do you do the reverse? The same way?

cletus
12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
That's the only thing that has kept me from buying one. I already find a computer screen imposes tunnel vision on me and makes me feel cramped. That teeny little window would give me claustrophobia.

That's why it is perfect for first drafts. The desire to go back and read and change what you've already written is not there since it would give you a headache trying to read the tiny screen. The only place to go is forward!

ShebaJones
12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
How much do they weigh? I've seen how to transfer data from the Neo to the computer, but how do you do the reverse? The same way?

They weigh maybe two pounds. Not heavy at all. Reversing the data is a little trickier and requires the AlphaSmart Manager software. I haven't actually played with that option, but a lot of teachers (in better, richer schools) use them to give quizzes and whatnot.

DamaNegra
12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I just found out they DO ship to Mexico, but it's too expensive :cry:

Jaycinth
12-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Council Tax - Paid to the local council, based on the value of your home. Pays for rubbish collection, libraries, and other things that are far less useful..

Ours is a property tax based on the value of your home...paid twice yearly. For me..It is rolled into the mortgage payment, and I get to deduct it from my Federal Income Tax.

I pay for the rubbish, water, and environmental fees on my quarterly water bill.

Inland Revenue - Income tax..
I pay Federal, State and local income tax once a year. Actually it is withheld from my pay and I have to go through ridiculous yearly contortions to get it back. State taxes go for roads and education. Local taxes go for local projects...local mass transit stuff, libraries, leaf collection, Animal control, painting yellow lines over the yellow lines onthe street they are about to dig up.

TV Tax - Tax used to keep the BBC running. Absolute waste of money..
Unless you get cable...you don't pay a TV tax...of course you have to watch commercials... But you should keep paying that tax so I can get my BBC free!!!

Road Tax - Tax paid to legally drive your car on the road.. Car registration, tags, title fees...all paid to the state

VAT - Value Added Tax. 17.5% on most items. Unlike in the US this is already factored into the price displayed on the shelf.. Uh...no it is not. That is why we have SALES TAX on everything except most grocery items. Where I live...if you buy a hundred dollar microwave, you pay $5.00 in tax.

BUT......Everytime one of my co-workers goes there...or basically anywhere in Europe, I get to file a form to get that country to refund the VAT....isn't that cool? (I HATE that confounded form)

Than there are taxes on things like petrol (gasoline), alcohol, and tobacco that make them stupidly expensive compared to most other countries. Oh YES!!! I don't know the rate, but there is Federal Tax, environmental charges, state tax and local tax factored into the 'petrol' (gas)...and even home heating oil. There is a tax on booze and a higher tax if it is distilled liquor...so you have to go buy it in a special 'STATE' store. And I believe the cigarette tax is now 200% of the price of the cigs.

....So I walk a lot and don't smoke.

willietheshakes
12-08-2007, 03:12 AM
All this time and I never knew. . .

Plot twist!

I was going to guess "fetish".

But maybe that's just me.

scarletpeaches
12-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I are be mostly gettings teh AlphaSmart Neo!

:e2woo: :TheWave: :PartySmil :hooray:

scarletpeaches
12-20-2007, 02:04 AM
It are be mostly scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

Wish me luck on that one...

Cathy C
12-20-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm VERY happy with the AS3000 I picked up on Ebay for a whopping $50 (and the seller covered shipping!) Love the keyboard size and other than some of the keys being a bit sticky if I hit them at an angle, it's been able to keep up with me and my 80+ wpm typing speed. I'm over halfway through the latest book, typing exclusively on it and the data transfers to the computer have gone smoothly.

Gotta admit that it's nice sitting in my recliner typing. I never could do that with the laptop. My thighs would get too hot from the battery, or it would start to go dim after about two hours of solid typing. Not so with the Alphie. It's been a champ! :)

scarletpeaches
12-20-2007, 02:27 AM
Course, I'll be out tomorrow but hopefully I'll be able to pick it up from the Post Office depot or reschedule delivery for Saturday. I'll be bloody lucky this close to Xmas, but at least I know it's on its way.

katiemac
12-20-2007, 03:21 AM

That's what I've been wondering about. I've been interested in these awhile, especially since so many people here are impressed with it.

But what's the display screen like? It looks too small for my preferences, but does it bother anyone who owns one?

HeronW
12-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Anyone use one of those pc tablets yet? I've love something portable, with a MS Word capable thingy (okay sometimes the technical term defies my addled brain) vs what I've seen so far that whatever you draw/write with the pen is saved as a jpg which = lots of memory.

jst5150
12-20-2007, 03:33 AM
My wife tells me these are bought in quantity by the Georgia school system to assist special needs children.

My thought on the Neo would be this: Tiger Woods can slap a drive 350 yards using a Ben Hogan Driver made of wood from a 1930 bag of clubs, or the 8-degree trampolene-headed driver off the shelf today. A good craftsman never blames his tools. The tools only extoll the craftsman's ability to create (and this is where the spirit of Bob Ross pops in and begins painting happy clouds ..)

AnneMarble
12-20-2007, 03:43 AM
... Gotta admit that it's nice sitting in my recliner typing. I never could do that with the laptop. My thighs would get too hot from the battery, or it would start to go dim after about two hours of solid typing. Not so with the Alphie. It's been a champ! :)
Hmmm, I should look into getting one of the older Alphie models. I love the Dana -- I finally learned how to get my Igzo the Dolphin game to work on it. But I wouldn't mind having a spare -- something that would be good for writing chapters and shorter pieces even if it wasn't as good for editing -- with greater battery power, greater portability, etc. And on top of that, the ability to brag that I bought it on eBay for $50. :D That price is well worth the ability to say "Nyah nyah."

scarletpeaches
12-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I are has Neo!
...and on my first day of proud ownership, yesterday, I wrote over 10,000 words!!! :D

scarletpeaches
12-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Dontcha wish your Neo was hot like mine?
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/doriangrayspictures/Neo.jpg

BenPanced
12-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Oooooer! We got the fancy briefcase, we did! :hooray:

I've done my entire NaNo novel on mine this year. It was really fun because at write-ins I'd be pounding out the word count and everybody around me with laptops was "doing research".

scarletpeaches
12-25-2007, 10:14 PM
That's the great thing about teh Neo - no intarwebs, so no distractions.

I plan to tippy-tappy away in the coffee shop in Borders, doing my "Look at me; I are writer!" bit on my next day off.

Over 11k words now, and battery power still at 100%. Fantastic.

I've worked out I'll fit around 72k words on it, so that's a whole novel.

Cathy C
12-26-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm at 70K and battery power is still at 100%. You'll marvel at how long it lasts. Like a little Energizer bunny is the wonderful Alfie!

pdr
12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
is actually not a jot as annoying as I thought it would be. And you can enlarge the font if your eyes need it.

I have a Neo and the batteries lasted one year of daily use. What is heaven about the brute is it is so light, it can go into its neoprene case and into the alpha back pack or the hand luggage or any old bag and go with you anywhere.

I use mine on the bus, train, 'plane, in the car and outside. It always goes with me and is so simple to use.

Downloading from the computer is a doddle. You open the manager, (this is the CD programme which comes with your Neo,) and copy and paste what you want and press download. It is as quick and easy as that. Uploading is even easier, just plug in.

The only problem I have had is accidentally leaning on the keys when jolted in the car. I lost my work! I am sure there is a method to get it back but I am not a techy!

I wouldn't be without it.

scarletpeaches
12-26-2007, 10:34 PM
In my first 48 hours of ownership I typed [scarletpeaches uses the Neo word count and calculator features to check...] 15,334 words.

If that's what getting a new toy does for my productivity, then bring it on I say! Well worth the 200 I paid for it. Oh wait, I didn't - my rich aunt in Sydney did!

Yay Rhona! :D

Grizzly
12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
The only problem I have had is accidentally leaning on the keys when jolted in the car. I lost my work! I am sure there is a method to get it back but I am not a techy!

control-option-command-R (will recover last 40 characters)

option-command-R (recovers file from last deletion)

control-shift-option-R (recovers entire file)

Unless you permanently deleted it. Which would of required hitting a combination of buttons. So yeah, if it happens again, option-command-R should get it back.

Simple Living
12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/F8d88689-7ec9-42d9-99bc-e4781e274616.medium.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F8d88689-7ec9-42d9-99bc-e4781e274616.medium.jpg)

I want a Neo! I don't care how, I want it NOW!

I've wanted one of these puppies for a long time but have never done anything about it. Mayhaps very soon... So, most of you prefer the Neo over the Dana?

scarletpeaches
12-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I've never used a Dana but if my signature's anything to go by, the Neo is doing lots for my productivity. No, you can't lay all the blame or responsibility on your tools, but if a little toy helps you work faster, why not? ;)

cletus
12-28-2007, 04:08 AM
Way to go scarlet.

I need a rich aunt in Sydney.

pdr
12-28-2007, 04:22 AM
that's wonderful. Thank you and may your New Year be technologically problem free!

And according to the Makers the Neo is specifically for writers. The Dana has too many distracting extras.

scarletpeaches
12-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Got the day off today and my migraine's nearly faded. Nearly. So I'm going to have a Neo-blitz and see how many words I can do. The first day I almost hit 10k, but given how I feel, I think 5k is more likely.

My poor head. Ouchy.

san_remo_ave
12-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Hey Scarlet,

Was thinking about your excitement over your new Neo. Stumbled across this and thought of you, if you ever feel inclined to Pimp Your Neo.... ;)

http://www.vancefry.com/projects/red-neo

scarletpeaches
12-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Ooh! I wonder if they do purple paint?

katiemac
12-30-2007, 02:45 AM
I already mentioned upthread that I'm very intrigued by the Alphas and Danas.

But, as a laptop user, I don't think I have a real need for one. How do you guys justify an Alpha if you own a laptop also? I know there are a lot of added benefits, like its weight and battery life, but in the end it's the same result, right? Is there anything you can do with these you can't do with a laptop?

scarletpeaches
12-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Yes, take it outside without fear of it being nicked because it's a word processor, not a computer.

Carry it without it straining my shoulder.

Not have to worry about battery life.

Or being distracted by the internet.

As for 'needing' one, who cares? I don't have to justify owning a Neo. They're fun. I like to buy things from time to time simply because they're fun. It's even more fun when my rich aunt in Sydney pays for my toys.

katiemac
12-30-2007, 02:58 AM
As for 'needing' one, who cares?

My bank account. :D It makes me justify everything.

scarletpeaches
01-06-2008, 03:14 AM
30,000 words and battery power at 98%.

There is no reason for me to bump this thread...jes' braggin'... :D

Cathy C
01-21-2008, 04:42 AM
:hooray: IT'S DONE, IT'S DONE!!!

Yep, I used my AlphaSmart 3000 to type this ENTIRE latest book. 129,715 words, all in 60 days, and all on one pair of AA batteries. Twenty hour days, 12K in a stretch . . . no problem for my Alphie.

Love fest time, while I bask in the latest completed book. :LilLove:

DamaNegra
01-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I just lost 3 novels :) forever. (<-- that has to be the most sarcastic smiley I've ever used)

Just wanting to make you feel bad about your bragging.

Ms.Write
01-24-2008, 05:21 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Neo for first draft writing - since it's under two pounds, very portable, and can run for 700 hours on 3 AA batteries. The small display worries me a little (6 lines max), but many users seem to like it. Also, I understand it's easy to later dump its contents onto your PC for editing.

Anyone use Neo for novel writing??? What are the drawbacks? The advantages? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!

TheIT
01-24-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm using an AlphaSmart Dana which has been wonderful. You might want to search the forums for the keyword "alphasmart". Several other threads contain posts regarding the different AlphaSmart products.

JoNightshade
01-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Get ScarletPeaches! Someone wants to talk about her baby!

jst5150
01-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Have a peek at this thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85453).

Ms.Write
01-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks - I didn't realize there was another thread on this subject. I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if I can even get a Neo...

jst5150
01-24-2008, 05:39 AM
The user who started the other thread is in Scotland, so, there's hope. :)

Cathy C
01-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Ebay ships all over the place, depending on the seller. That's where I got my Alpha 3000, the predecessor of Neo. :D

pdr
01-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Alpha Smart dealer I bought my newest from is in Vancouver. And he ships anywhere in Canada.

E-bay might well be cheaper, but make sure that your Alpha has a neoprene cover as well as the Neo briefcase or backpack. The neoprene cover is a shock absorber and also prevents dust and gooey bits getting into the keyboard. Makes it last longer if, like me, you give your alpha hell in the high country, on the ski slopes, and at the beach.

Ms.Write
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks, pdr. Would you happen to remember the name of your dealer in Vancouver? I will be sure to ask for the parts you mention, makes a lot of sense!

truelyana
01-24-2008, 10:13 PM
What exactly does an Alphasmart Neo do? How do you make drafts with it? (Reading scarletpeaches thread-nothing yet found)

truelyana
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Neo for first draft writing - since it's under two pounds

Is it really that cheap?

Ms.Write
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Truelyana,

When I said two pounds, I was talking weight. I live in Canada, so the currency is dollars. Neo has a small display, showing up to 6 lines, but it`s very rugged and portable. Good for banging out a first draft, which you then save to a PC for editing.

Because of its light weight, you can bring Neo with you to the beach or park, or doctor`s office.

truelyana
01-24-2008, 10:31 PM
It's ridiculously easy to install (I had a hard time with it, but that's because I expected WinXP to, y'know, copy all the essential files it needed over). You can import the files directly into an open file with the AlphaSmart manager, or you can press Send and watch the text come up like a pair of invisible hands is typing insanely fast.

Wow, sounds good. So you just plug it in to your computer, and then it imports all your writing? Man, I'm falling for it...

You can create multiple files on the Neo, but you're limited by storage space. Also, I think the file sizes are limited. But if you're just writing individual chapters, short stories, essays, articles, etc., it should be fine.

I have heard that it's harder to edit on the Neo. Editing on the Dana isn't great, either, but it beats editing on a Palm with a folding keyboard. :tongue

It's not the best picture. Don't think of it as a typewriter -- think of it as a cute little word processor. The screen displays several lines -- and the wide screen means more text. (On the PDF (http://www.alphasmart.com/pdf/Neo_Retail_0607.pdf) at the site, it looks like it holds five lines at a time, but I'm sure the font size can be adjusted.) The Neo weighs barely two pounds and can print through both USB and wireless connections. They were designed to be used by students, so they're rugged. And the batteries last for ages.

The AlphaSmart Dana goes a step further and comes with the Palm operating system. This means I can use the Palm's address book, clock, etc., as well as Palm-based ebook readers, games, backup programs, etc. -- all of which I already owned and most of which were freeware. OK, the games do sometimes distract from the writing, but sometimes, I can use a hand or five of Solitaire Poker to help me think. :D I do sacrifice something in battery life. (The unit plugs in and recharges rather than using AAAs, although it does have a set of AAAs in there for something or another.)

What's the storage space like?

I'm at 70K and battery power is still at 100%. You'll marvel at how long it lasts. Like a little Energizer bunny is the wonderful Alfie!

I'm impressed, and in love. :heart::e2brows:

is actually not a jot as annoying as I thought it would be. And you can enlarge the font if your eyes need it.

I have a Neo and the batteries lasted one year of daily use. What is heaven about the brute is it is so light, it can go into its neoprene case and into the alpha back pack or the hand luggage or any old bag and go with you anywhere.

I use mine on the bus, train, 'plane, in the car and outside. It always goes with me and is so simple to use.

Downloading from the computer is a doddle. You open the manager, (this is the CD programme which comes with your Neo,) and copy and paste what you want and press download. It is as quick and easy as that. Uploading is even easier, just plug in.

I wouldn't be without it.

Wow, you have sold it to me. I want one!! Is it really useful for drafting then?

Hey Scarlet,

Was thinking about your excitement over your new Neo. Stumbled across this and thought of you, if you ever feel inclined to Pimp Your Neo.... ;)

http://www.vancefry.com/projects/red-neo

Now, that is heaven...

....perfect for valentines day. :e2brows: *hint, hint*

truelyana
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Truelyana,

When I said two pounds, I was talking weight. I live in Canada, so the currency is dollars. Neo has a small display, showing up to 6 lines, but it`s very rugged and portable. Good for banging out a first draft, which you then save to a PC for editing.

Because of its light weight, you can bring Neo with you to the beach or park, or doctor`s office.

Oomph, ouch. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Sounds like a good tool, and I think I'm falling for it already.

AnneMarble
01-24-2008, 10:45 PM
What's the storage space like?
I think on the Dana, it's 16 megabytes -- which at that time was pretty good for a Palm-based thingie. After all, the Palm OS doesn't take up much space, and most Palm-based apps are teensy tiny. (I've played games that were as small as 54 kilobytes! :eek: Even programs such as word processing apps can be under 500 kilobytes!)

You can also add storage space via an SD card. I'd recommend getting a card if you want to use the available backup programs as those back up to a card. (Backing up to the Palm doesn't help if you have to do a hard reset because then you lose everything including some of the programs. :D)

jannawrites
01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I SO want one, but misterwrites thinks it'd be silly when a laptop could do so much more. Grr...

MMWyrm
01-25-2008, 02:34 AM
I got my Neo for Christmas and am pretty much in love. The display is clear, even if it is rather small, and the keyboard is a might bit narrower than my normal PC one, but it is super easy to use and carry around.

MMWyrm
01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
I love my Neo - Santa brought it for me.

truelyana
01-25-2008, 03:24 AM
I SO want one, but misterwrites thinks it'd be silly when a laptop could do so much more. Grr...

Tough call isn't it.

TheIT
01-25-2008, 03:27 AM
My Dana is wonderful for composing or writing first drafts. The small display forces me to keep going forward. Once I get to the point of editing, I think I'm going to have to switch to a computer or laptop so I can manipulate the text more easily.

pdr
01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
'when a laptop could do so much more.'

The point of an Alpha is that you cannot twiddle about doing anything other than word processing, i.e. writing!

You can take it everywhere and the batteries do last a year even with daily use. It's a helluva lot tougher than a laptop and much more useful to a writer!

Birol
01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm going to merge this thread with the one in Roundtable.

para
05-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Thinking about buying one of these little beauties. Shame I've fiscally challenged at the moment.

Dale Emery
05-01-2008, 12:42 AM
The point of an Alpha is that you cannot twiddle about doing anything other than word processing, i.e. writing!

Yes, I love my Neo because of its limitations.

I recently bought a Treo smartphone, which I also love. But it quickly dawned on me that I've just undone the Neo's limitations, because with the Treo in my pocket I bring the frakking interwebs with me after all.

Harumph. No more toys that end in "eo".

Dale

Mayntz
05-01-2008, 06:26 PM
I actually prefer writing articles on Neo now as opposed to powering up the desktop. I've owned him for 15 months, I'm only on the third set of batteries, and I use him nearly every day. Can't do better than that!

jannawrites
05-03-2008, 05:24 AM
The link in my siggy (Sally and Me) is for the blog dedicated to my AS 3000. ;)

scarletpeaches
12-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Apollo is one year old today. :D

Together we've written well over 100k and his batteries are still at 85%.

:D:D:D

willietheshakes
12-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Apollo is one year old today. :D

Together we've written well over 100k and his batteries are still at 85%.

:D:D:D

So, is your internet-capable computer called Dionysis?

scarletpeaches
12-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Funnily enough I considered that for a name.

My laptop is going to be Dionysus, Cassander or something similar.

dancingandflying
12-26-2008, 11:11 AM
I CAN HAZ NEO NAO PLZ? kthaxbai.

Actually, I think I'm going to use my birthday/holiday cash for one... It's a necessity for JaNo-ing. :D

d&f.

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
You will never, ever regretting blowing your cash on one of these puppies. They're great.

thethinker42
12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
You will never, ever regretting blowing your cash on one of these puppies. They're great.

Quoted for truth.

And for those of us that write on long plane rides? Neo = AWESOME. My laptop battery barely makes it past takeoff, let alone all the way across the Pacific.

dancingandflying
12-27-2008, 01:49 AM
One question: What makes it so different from a laptop/desktop computer?

d&f.

scarletpeaches
12-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Weight. Battery power. Sheer coolness.

If you don't have one, that makes you a looser. :D

dancingandflying
12-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Well, I definitely don't want to be a loser, much less a "looser", so I'd better go buy one right now! :D

d&f.

scarletpeaches
12-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Yes. Let us know when you do, so we can all stop laughing at you. :D

Mayntz
12-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I adore Neo. He's fab. He's great. He keeps me productive because he lacks the distractions (games, internet, email) of a laptop. He's lightweight, long-lived, and generally lovely. Come January, we'll celebrate our two year anniversary (3 sets of batteries in that time -- still on the third), with hopefully many more to come.

Mayntz
12-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I adore Neo. He's fab. He's great. He keeps me productive because he lacks the distractions (games, internet, email) of a laptop. He's lightweight, long-lived, and generally lovely. Come January, we'll celebrate our two year anniversary (3 sets of batteries in that time -- still on the third), with hopefully many more to come.

DamaNegra
12-27-2008, 07:38 AM
I love my Neo!! I've written about 100k on it already and it still has 93% battery power. I have never, ever regretted buying it, and my parents have stopped regretting having bought it for me :D

I'd seriously recommend it.