Do anatomically correct dolls creep you out?

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I've got a few friends who are really getting into the hobby of collecting anatomically correct dolls. I find them (the dolls, not the friends) creepy. Is it just me?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know your friends so I feel a "safe distance" away from them, but...
I find the banner ad at the top of this thread creepy:
"Bring me home now! Only 10" Long! CLICK NOW Lifelike Baby Doll <there's a URL but I won't type it>"
Never has the disclaimer been more important and pertinent than it is now:
Ads provided by Google and not endorsed by AW

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Dolls are creepy whether they're antomically correct or not.

Thank goodness I have a son and not a daughter...I'd be a mess with dolls in the house. They scare the crap out of me. Dolls and clowns, actually. Creepy, just frickin' creepy.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, this was a god-sent when my son was born. I'd be advised to get my daughter a doll to mother so she wouldn't get upset when I had to spend time with the new baby. However girlchild was savvy enough at 2 to realize that her doll wasn't the same as the new baby 'cause my baby had stuff between his legs and her baby didn't. So I splurged and got her an anatomically correct boy doll and the problem was solved.

FWIW, the advice was on-target and the fact we both had boys made my daughter very contented. Sometimes we even helped each other with our babies. Never had any jealousy issues at all, so I have very pleasant feelings about them.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
What does one look like?

See this google image search for loads of pictures.

That's interesting, they look pretty real. Do kids carry them around these days?

No, it's a hobby for adult collectors. I have yet to hear about a kid owning one, though one of my friends does have a little girl who sometimes plays with the dolls. Asian ball-jointed dolls are too expensive to be easily obtained by kids.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
See this google image search for loads of pictures.

No, it's a hobby for adult collectors. I have yet to hear about a kid owning one, though one of my friends does have a little girl who sometimes plays with the dolls. Asian ball-jointed dolls are too expensive to be easily obtained by kids.

Thanks. They are quite a take on the original porcelain dolls. These dolfies remind me of Anime characters. How much would an Asian ball-jointed doll cost? Are they as pricey as porcelain dolls?

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Their eyes sure aren't anatomically correct. Ick.

Yeah, they look like alien eyes to me, they're too big and dominate the head. I think they're supposed to be anime-like.
By the way, I've also been creeped out by eye cases (mini suitcases lined with foam and filled with many, many eyes for when doll owners want to yank out the eyes and replace them with a different color or style). Many of them use "soft glass" (silicone) eyes which increase the creepy factor because they quiver a bit when the eye case is moved.

I was going to ask if they were those Real Dolls. I just saw a special on them and the dudes that own them are very creepy.

No, they aren't sex dolls. However, I should warn you that portions of the online community do write erotica and illustrate it with photos of the dolls engaged in various acts. If you go looking for doll photos, you're bound to eventually stumble across one of those erotic photo-comics. My friends don't do that (though one has occasionally made little photo-stories about the dolls kissing).

Thanks. They are quite a take on the original porcelain dolls. These dolfies remind me of Anime characters. How much would an Asian ball-jointed doll cost? Are they as pricey as porcelain dolls?

Just the doll bodies (no clothing or accessories, and usually requiring painting and/or sanding of the skin along with restringing) usually cost $400 and up. Furthermore, they usually have to be bought through a shopping service where a buyer gets the doll in Japan, so there's extra cost from that. Some of the knock-offs are cheaper, say around $200, but they aren't very popular (though they look much the same to me). A lot of doll collectors are constantly scouring eBay for used dolls, driving up the prices. Even the clothing and jewelry for these dolls is quite expensive.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
No, they aren't sex dolls. However, I should warn you that portions of the online community do write erotica and illustrate it with photos of the dolls engaged in various acts. If you go looking for doll photos, you're bound to eventually stumble across one of those erotic photo-comics. My friends don't do that (though one has occasionally made little photo-stories about the dolls kissing).

Thanks for the tip on that. I wasn't going to but now I def won't. I've also seen some stuff on the Dolfie dolls. The people who buy them are serious collectors. They have matching outfits and everything. Yes they are very expensive.