PDA

View Full Version : Do anatomically correct dolls creep you out?

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I've got a few friends who are really getting into the hobby of collecting anatomically correct dolls. I find them (the dolls, not the friends) creepy. Is it just me?

Salem
12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes, they're creepy.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I've got a few friends who are really getting into the hobby of collecting anatomically correct dolls. I find them (the dolls, not the friends) creepy. Is it just me?Age group, please.

JennaGlatzer
12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes. But now I find your friends creepy, too.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Yes. But now I find your friends creepy, too.:roll: They write romance stories for Mattel.

Backward Masking
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Do these dolls try to communicate with you?

John Paton
12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
anatomically correct ... hmmmm.

so a 2 foot high doll would have a 4 inch willy?

just trying to get my head around this. I have never seen them before. Any chance of a pic then I'll know if I am normal.

benbradley
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't know your friends so I feel a "safe distance" away from them, but...
I find the banner ad at the top of this thread creepy:
"Bring me home now! Only 10" Long! CLICK NOW Lifelike Baby Doll <there's a URL but I won't type it>"
Never has the disclaimer been more important and pertinent than it is now:
Ads provided by Google and not endorsed by AW

NeuroFizz
12-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Only when they deflate.

Marian Perera
12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Inflatable rubber dolls give a whole new meaning to "blow job".

kristie911
12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Dolls are creepy whether they're antomically correct or not.

Thank goodness I have a son and not a daughter...I'd be a mess with dolls in the house. They scare the crap out of me. Dolls and clowns, actually. Creepy, just frickin' creepy.

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Age group, please.

Ages 25-34.

kristie911
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Ages 25-34.

Now I'm with Jenna. Your friends are creepy. ;) :tongue

DeleyanLee
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Actually, this was a god-sent when my son was born. I'd be advised to get my daughter a doll to mother so she wouldn't get upset when I had to spend time with the new baby. However girlchild was savvy enough at 2 to realize that her doll wasn't the same as the new baby 'cause my baby had stuff between his legs and her baby didn't. So I splurged and got her an anatomically correct boy doll and the problem was solved.

FWIW, the advice was on-target and the fact we both had boys made my daughter very contented. Sometimes we even helped each other with our babies. Never had any jealousy issues at all, so I have very pleasant feelings about them.

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I didn't even know they made anatomically correct dolls.

And yes, the dolls, and your friends, are creepy.

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
just trying to get my head around this. I have never seen them before. Any chance of a pic then I'll know if I am normal.

It is mostly Super Dollfies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dollfie) and related Asian ball-jointed dolls (see this FAQ (http://www.denofangels.com/sdfaq-basicq.html)). Weirdly, even the dolls supposed to be 13 years old have boobs and everything. Creepy.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I've got a few friends who are really getting into the hobby of collecting anatomically correct dolls. I find them (the dolls, not the friends) creepy. Is it just me?

What does one look like?

cray
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
What does one look like?

the boy dolls have thingies and the girl dolls have other thingies.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
It is mostly Super Dollfies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dollfie) and related Asian ball-jointed dolls (see this FAQ (http://www.denofangels.com/sdfaq-basicq.html)). Weirdly, even the dolls supposed to be 13 years old have boobs and everything. Creepy.

That's interesting, they look pretty real. Do kids carry them around these days?

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 07:30 PM
What does one look like?

See this google image search (http://images.google.com/images?as_q=dollfie) for loads of pictures.

That's interesting, they look pretty real. Do kids carry them around these days?

No, it's a hobby for adult collectors. I have yet to hear about a kid owning one, though one of my friends does have a little girl who sometimes plays with the dolls. Asian ball-jointed dolls are too expensive to be easily obtained by kids.

Devil Ledbetter
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
It is mostly Super Dollfies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dollfie) and related Asian ball-jointed dolls (see this FAQ (http://www.denofangels.com/sdfaq-basicq.html)). Weirdly, even the dolls supposed to be 13 years old have boobs and everything. Creepy.Their eyes sure aren't anatomically correct. Ick.

The_Grand_Duchess
12-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I was going to ask if they were those Real Dolls. I just saw a special on them and the dudes that own them are very creepy.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
See this google image search (http://images.google.com/images?as_q=dollfie) for loads of pictures.

No, it's a hobby for adult collectors. I have yet to hear about a kid owning one, though one of my friends does have a little girl who sometimes plays with the dolls. Asian ball-jointed dolls are too expensive to be easily obtained by kids.

Thanks. They are quite a take on the original porcelain dolls. These dolfies remind me of Anime characters. How much would an Asian ball-jointed doll cost? Are they as pricey as porcelain dolls?

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Their eyes sure aren't anatomically correct. Ick.

Yeah, they look like alien eyes to me, they're too big and dominate the head. I think they're supposed to be anime-like.
By the way, I've also been creeped out by eye cases (mini suitcases lined with foam and filled with many, many eyes for when doll owners want to yank out the eyes and replace them with a different color or style). Many of them use "soft glass" (silicone) eyes (http://www.softglasseyes.com/colors.html) which increase the creepy factor because they quiver a bit when the eye case is moved.

I was going to ask if they were those Real Dolls. I just saw a special on them and the dudes that own them are very creepy.

No, they aren't sex dolls. However, I should warn you that portions of the online community do write erotica and illustrate it with photos of the dolls engaged in various acts. If you go looking for doll photos, you're bound to eventually stumble across one of those erotic photo-comics. My friends don't do that (though one has occasionally made little photo-stories about the dolls kissing).

Thanks. They are quite a take on the original porcelain dolls. These dolfies remind me of Anime characters. How much would an Asian ball-jointed doll cost? Are they as pricey as porcelain dolls?

Just the doll bodies (no clothing or accessories, and usually requiring painting and/or sanding of the skin along with restringing) usually cost $400 and up. Furthermore, they usually have to be bought through a shopping service where a buyer gets the doll in Japan, so there's extra cost from that. Some of the knock-offs are cheaper, say around $200, but they aren't very popular (though they look much the same to me). A lot of doll collectors are constantly scouring eBay for used dolls, driving up the prices. Even the clothing and jewelry for these dolls is quite expensive.

The_Grand_Duchess
12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
No, they aren't sex dolls. However, I should warn you that portions of the online community do write erotica and illustrate it with photos of the dolls engaged in various acts. If you go looking for doll photos, you're bound to eventually stumble across one of those erotic photo-comics. My friends don't do that (though one has occasionally made little photo-stories about the dolls kissing).

Thanks for the tip on that. I wasn't going to but now I def won't. I've also seen some stuff on the Dolfie dolls. The people who buy them are serious collectors. They have matching outfits and everything. Yes they are very expensive.

robeiae
12-04-2007, 09:13 PM
If they're anatomically correct, can you remove their spleens? Cause that might be fun.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Just the doll bodies (no clothing or accessories, and usually requiring painting and/or sanding of the skin along with restringing) usually cost $400 and up. Furthermore, they usually have to be bought through a shopping service where a buyer gets the doll in Japan, so there's extra cost from that. Some of the knock-offs are cheaper, say around $200, but they aren't very popular (though they look much the same to me). A lot of doll collectors are constantly scouring eBay for used dolls, driving up the prices. Even the clothing and jewelry for these dolls is quite expensive.

That's a lot of money for a doll, but I can understand the qualities in the collection. :)

badducky
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey, anatomically correct doll-collectors don't creep me out in the slightest. Neither do the dolls.

What creeps me out is that the collectors make a point of pointing out anatomical correctness of dolls to friends.

joyce
12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Only if they look like me.

davids
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
They only creep me out if their breasts are sagging and their rear ends are bruising the backs of their knees

JLCwrites
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Ew... those dolls are freaky, so yes... your friends are freaky too. (But I think most dolls are freaky, even those psycho Madame Alexander dolls. I keep having visions of Chucky... EW!)

maestrowork
12-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Dolls are creepy whether they're antomically correct or not.

Amen! Pass the holy water please.

+ Dolls and clowns. Stay away. +

WendyNYC
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Creepy, yes, and so are those hookerish-looking Bratz dolls with the GIANT EYES!

Maryn
12-04-2007, 11:09 PM
When I was expecting Kid Two (who we knew was to be a boy), I also bought The Kid a boy doll something like this one (http://www.tias.com/stores/phillipdpritchard/pictures/l455x10b.jpg). We took care of our baby boys together. They had a few matching outfits, but I never carried mine around by its arm.

When Kid Two was no longer an infant and didn't look like the doll any more, our daughter decided to give her boy doll to her brother. This was her first act of generosity with a toy. The doll is probably in the basement someplace, with other toys we can't imagine getting rid of.

Maryn, perfect mother in every way (ha!)

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Dolls and clowns. Wasn't that a Broadway play?

truelyana
12-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Amen! Pass the holy water please.

+ Dolls and clowns. Stay away. +

Clowns are goofy. :snoopy:

What do you fear in clowns?

Tiger
12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
What does one look like?

Funny, I'd think that very question is what inspires such a purchase in the first place...

Tiger
12-04-2007, 11:25 PM
I can avoid the dolls... It's the store mannequins that bother me. I once heard a comedian complain: why should she by a sweater that won't even keep a mannequin warm?

WendyNYC
12-04-2007, 11:26 PM

Coulrophobia
I had to google the spelling of that one.

JLCwrites
12-04-2007, 11:54 PM

Read Stephen King's IT.
Or watch Poltergeist.

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey, anatomically correct doll-collectors don't creep me out in the slightest. Neither do the dolls.

What creeps me out is that the collectors make a point of pointing out anatomical correctness of dolls to friends.

I think the pointing out part was mainly so I wouldn't be shocked later. Because, I see the dolls naked a lot. Every time the dolls come out, it is generally to do activities that would expose them at least briefly, such as dressing them in different outfits, or maybe painting a tattoo, or giving them a different color skin, or taking them completely apart to fix their joints. Hence, lots of exposure to doll nudity.

I guess if these had been sit-on-the-shelf-and-be-pretty dolls, there would never be a need for my friends to even have told me about the correct anatomy.

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 12:01 AM

What do you fear in clowns?I agree. I even wrote a poem a long time ago for our favorite clown.

Kinky the Clown

Kinky clown, Kinky clown
Take me with you when you drown
Cause Kinky Clown never frowns

Kinky clown, Kinky clown
Cause Kinky Clown never downs his booze

Kinky clown, Kinky clown
Cause Kinky Clown never browns his nose

Kinky clown, Kinky clown
Cause Kinky Clown never mounts a moose

Without Kinky the clown
We'll all drown

kristie911
12-05-2007, 06:54 AM

Are you kidding? Clowns are horrific...definitely not goofy.

I refuse to take my son to the circus because I can't stand to be that close to clowns.

Last year, my mom and I had a yard sale. She had a ceramic clown that she was selling and I swear wherever I went its creepy little eyes followed me. Well, it didn't sell so it was boxed up in my garage waiting to go to Goodwill and I swear I couldn't sleep until I made sure the door between the garage and the house was locked because I was convinced that thing was going to kill me in my sleep!

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
I made sure the door between the garage and the house was locked because I was convinced that thing was going to kill me in my sleep!Do you really believe that can stop a clown? :roll:

kristie911
12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Do you really believe that can stop a clown? :roll:

No.

I considered just breaking it into a million pieces but it probably would have just pissed off the rest of the clowns and they would have been gunning for me.

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
How about an anatomically correct clown doll?

http://www.crestmolds.com/Bells/Sunny%20Face.jpg

(I don't think Kristie can sleep tonight...)

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 07:11 AM
No.

I considered just breaking it into a million pieces but it probably would have just pissed off the rest of the clowns and they would have been gunning for me.You think?

http://www.everythingshiny.com/patrick.jpg

CandlestickJay
12-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Wasn't that a Broadway play?

Lol I think you mean Guys and Dolls.

Yes, I think anatomically correct dolls freak me out. Clowns, not so much.

I had a friend who had a shelf full of porcelain dolls above her head when she slept. Yeah. I couldn't ever sleep at her house because I thought they were staring at me....

brokenfingers
12-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Do anatomically correct dolls creep you out?

I wouldn't say they creep me out, but it's just another thing I don't understand and totally can't relate to. Like a foot fetish.

The people who collect them, who all happen to be adults? Uh... yeah. Kinda creepy.

threedogpeople
12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Depends on what your friends are apt to do with the dolls in the dark. Might be creepy, might be gut turning....