PDA

View Full Version : Macy's man.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Why is it that some (not all) women have a higher standard of expection for a man's choice in clothes than the man? I have a new female friend and happened to mention that I went out shopping for new clothes to start my new job. She was quick to mention how Macy's was having this great sale.

Huh? Man. Me. Clothes. Target.

Her. Shopping. Expensive. Macy's.

Now I'm just tickled silly that I can buy designer like clothes for $12.00.

So why should I pay $60.00 for the same thing at Target?

It's not like the other programmers in my group are going to really notice the difference.

What am I missing here?

Haggis
12-04-2007, 08:14 AM
http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/female-symbol-17609.jpg

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Oh sure, bring religion into it. Pfffttt...

Salem
12-04-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm a female and I still don't get it. I work at Nordstrom and watch people buy $300 dollar jeans and $2000 dollar purses all day long. It's insane. Target rules.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Target rules.Will you marry me?

Salem
12-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Will you marry me?

Yes. Just don't buy me a diamond ring. That's another one of the most idiotic things that people waste money on. Oh, and don't tell my husband. I'll just say you're our new room mate.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes. Just don't buy me a diamond ring. That's another one of the most idiotic things that people waste money on. Oh, and don't tell my husband. I'll just say you're our new room mate.:roll: I can cook.

Salem
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
:roll: I can cook.

Sweet.

Hmmm....
Mrs. Salem Ollivander SpookyWriter
Mrs. Salem SpookyWriter
Mrs. S. O. SpookyWriter
Mrs. Salem Writer
Mrs. S. SpookyWriter.......

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Mr. Spooky getting nervous.

Salem
12-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Can we have the ceremony out in the garden department at Target? As long as we're being cheap here we might as well go all out.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Let me check what I got saved in my change box and I'll get back with you tomorrow.

Salem
12-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Awesome.

Carry on with original topic.

Shweta
12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Congratulations. What a sweet match :tongue

I don't at all get the thing with buying expensive clothes and all, but isn't Target getting its low prices by way of underpaid immigrant labor though? I thought I read that somewhere...

The thing I really don't get is the expensive purses. Seriously, if I lose my purse somewhere I want to be freaking out about the credit card and the ID, not the purse.

JLCwrites
12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
The thing I really don't get is the expensive purses. Seriously, if I lose my purse somewhere I want to be freaking out about the credit card and the ID, not the purse.

I feel the same about sunglasses. I know I will lose them before summer.

Oh.. and similar to what Salem says... Man made diamonds are perfectly fine with me.

Bravo
12-04-2007, 10:46 AM
try on an armani suit and then try on the local target brand and tell me again that there isnt a difference in quality.

its not (always) about paying a premium, but let's not try and pretend as if there's not a huge difference among designers and stores.

joetrain
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
and thrift shops.

Joe270
12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Hey, sure there have been times that I had some nice suits. Those days are, hopefully, behind me forever. But five hundred bucks for a suit, a hundred for shoes, and another hundred for shirt, tie, and kerchief, tie chains, belt, and cufflinks extra, 17 years ago translates into some big bucks now.

Too bad I'm too fat to fit in them now.

I look at shirts with a 100 dollar price tag and say, 'no way'.

Perhaps, as we age, it matters less that we 'look the part' than the fact that we are the part. Those who can, do. Those who can't dress well and become overpaid CEOs.

aruna
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Bravo has a point.
I used to always buy the cheapest stuff available; I am not in the least into expensive clothing and I am happy with just keeping my body covered with whatever.
However, I discovered that the cheap stuff ends up being more expensive. Some things lose shape after 2 washes and you have to throw them out or give them to charity. Or fade, or just look terrible.
My worst experience comes with buying cheap shoes. Never again! They usually fit badly and hurt, and look like crap after wearing them twice.

I would never pay huge amounts for designer clothing, but there is definitely a middle ground. I now go for the middle ground.

I don't know Target but I guess the UK equivalent is Primark. I do buy some things there, but they are things that don't really matter like socks and caps and pyjamas.

joetrain
12-04-2007, 11:44 AM
x < 3y

x= price of single garment (not shoes)
y= price of food for one day (+/- $10)

this tends to be my going formula, but i do look forward to becoming a rich bastard and demanding all my clothes be made of songbird feathers and giraffe leather.

Shweta
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
However, I discopvered that the cheap stuff ends up being more expensive. Some things lose shape after 2 washes and you have to throw them out or give them to charity. Or fade, or just look terrible.

Yah, there's that. I buy the cheapest stuff I can get that lasts. It's not only the cost of having to buy more and more, it's the hassle.

My worst expertience comes with buying cheap shoes. Neveragain! They usually fit badly and hurt, and look like crap after wearing them twice.

Ohhh yes. IMO shelling out a hundred bucks for shoes that will last 5-7 years and not give you expensive back problems is a big save.

I'm very willing to pay for quality, if I need a thing. Just, not for brand name or decoration so much.

Salem
12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes, I totally agree that an expensive suit is worth the money if you can afford it. A lot of designer items are. But my fiance mentioned expensive jeans and I had to agree that a lot of those designer jeans are selling for so much just because of the label. They aren't that much nicer than the ones at Target.

C.bronco
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Marshalls is a great place- you get the real designer stuff for less than you'd pay at Target.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Why is it that some (not all) women have a higher standard of expection for a man's choice in clothes than the man? I have a new female friend and happened to mention that I went out shopping for new clothes to start my new job. She was quick to mention how Macy's was having this great sale.

It's not like the other programmers in my group are going to really notice the difference.

What am I missing here?

There's various factors, quality, look, feel, brand, or just generally because she is fond of shopping there. You never know when something will take your fancy, and if it does sometimes you grab it without having reservations of the price. I know I have, and money has not been an objection or mattered.

JimmyB27
12-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Designer clothes are not worth the money imho. Neither are cheap clothes.
I like to buy good clothes. Most of my wardrobe comes from these guys - http://www.rohan.co.uk Excellent quality, comfortable, practical clothes. I love 'em :)

kristie911
12-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I love Target...and I do buy clothes there occasionally but usually just t-shirts or jeans. I'm not into expensive clothes. Or purses. The purse I have now I bought on clearance at Penneys for twelve bucks. :)

Running shoes are the only thing I'll spend decent money on because I can't afford back and knee problems. But even then, I'll wait until I can find good ones on sale. I rarely pay full price for ANYTHING!

joyce
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I made my clothes for years and years and they were the best! I can't get out of the habit of checking seams, buttons, etc. when I now shop. I find even at expensive stores stuff is made like crap, at least to a a person who sews. Several years ago we were at my father in laws funeral and my sister in law (I hate her) is going on and on about how much she paid for her ugly a## clothes she got a Norstroms. Then she looks at me and compliments me on my pants and asked where I got them and how much they cost. I had to laugh because I told her I got them on the clearance rack at K-mart for $5. She about died in her spot. I love quality clothes that are cheap, cheap, cheap.

The_Grand_Duchess
12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I believe in buying good clothes as well. And not having high expectations for cheap ones. Like if I buy a shirt at walmart I'm not expecting it to last forever. Just for a few wears and that's all.

Also I don't buy cheap bras. I know women who do and are fine with it but that's not how we roll here.

Devil Ledbetter
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Also I don't buy cheap bras. I know women who do and are fine with it but that's not how we roll here.A top-notch bra is priceless.

C.bronco
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I have to say that I will pay for a good purse (Dooney and Bourke :) ). I go to the store's outlet, though even there the price is high. The one I have now has lasted me 4 years so far; I use it everyday and it still looks great. If I had bought a cheap purse it would have fallen apart in a year.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I believe in buying good clothes as well. And not having high expectations for cheap ones. Like if I buy a shirt at walmart I'm not expecting it to last forever. Just for a few wears and that's all.

Also I don't buy cheap bras. I know women who do and are fine with it but that's not how we roll here.

I know what you mean. I found out that cheap bras are definetly not the way to go, so now I stick to Marks and Spencers for quality and comfort.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I have to say that I will pay for a good purse (Dooney and Bourke :) ). I go to the store's outlet, though even there the price is high. The one I have now has lasted me 4 years so far; I use it everyday and it still looks great. If I had bought a cheap purse it would have fallen apart in a year.

I've got over 40 purses, if you ever want to borrow one. I usually get given them as presents, and never have to buy any.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I made my clothes for years and years and they were the best! I can't get out of the habit of checking seams, buttons, etc. when I now shop. I find even at expensive stores stuff is made like crap, at least to a a person who sews. Several years ago we were at my father in laws funeral and my sister in law (I hate her) is going on and on about how much she paid for her ugly a## clothes she got a Norstroms. Then she looks at me and compliments me on my pants and asked where I got them and how much they cost. I had to laugh because I told her I got them on the clearance rack at K-mart for $5. She about died in her spot. I love quality clothes that are cheap, cheap, cheap.

Handmade anything always is. :)

Do you still wear any clothes that you make?

joyce
12-04-2007, 08:41 PM

My daughter tortured me with so many prom, homecoming dresses that I've taken a couple of years off making the clothes. I made all my curtains and chair covers this year. I do still have clothes that I made that are still hanging in there. I do agree......a good bra is rather uplifting.

JimmyB27
12-04-2007, 09:12 PM

That's not true. If *I* handmade my clothes for example...

C.bronco
12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I've got over 40 purses, if you ever want to borrow one. I usually get given them as presents, and never have to buy any.
Thanks! I'll probably get a new one this summer. http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10020
I love dooney.

badducky
12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Clothes?

Oh, hey, thanks for reminding me! It was getting chilly in my living room.

*wanders off to put on clothes*

TrainofThought
12-04-2007, 09:29 PM

What am I missing here?I donít think itís necessarily high standard in clothing as it is in taste. *shakes head* You said it right here, Ďa manís choice in clothes.í

As for Macyís, IMHO their clothing isnít of high quality. Then again, I shopped at my beloved and sadly missed Marshall Fieldís, Macyís buy-out, and when I went to see what Macyís had to offer they failed miserably. They donít even compare to Marshall Fieldís high-end selections.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
My daughter tortured me with so many prom, homecoming dresses that I've taken a couple of years off making the clothes. I made all my curtains and chair covers this year. I do still have clothes that I made that are still hanging in there. I do agree......a good bra is rather uplifting.

Sounds good, it's so exciting to create.

That's not true. If *I* handmade my clothes for example...

Go on? Mabye you just need a little support in the right direction...

Thanks! I'll probably get a new one this summer. http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10020
I love dooney.

Your welcome. I like that bag, it's nice. :)

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a sister-in-law that if we buy anything for her kids at Kohl's Department Stores, she will return them. "Oh, my god! It isn't Old Navy or The Gap!"

Shut up.

melaniehoo
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I love Target & Kohls and try to go there for my basics. A lot of my work clothes come from the Limited, but now that I'm not working their spending quality time in a box. I also like Gap & Banana, but they start pushing my price barrier.

I like a man to look nice, but I could give a shit how much you paid for something. I LOVE when I get a good bargain.

I will say, though, that I can no longer wear Payless shoes. I never go over $100, and try to stay around $50 per pair. Like Kristie said, running shoes are the only thing I always buy name brand - but I try to catch them on sale.

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2007, 09:47 PM
II will say, though, that I can no longer wear Payless shoes. I never go over $100, and try to stay around $50 per pair. Like Kristie said, running shoes are the only thing I always buy name brand - but I try to catch them on sale.
Oh.my.god! I'd have a heart attack if I paid $100 or even $50 for a pair of shoes. In fact, $100 would buy me 5 pairs of shoes!

My wife won't even go into a real shoe store with me because I start ranting and raving about the prices and embarrassing her. $50 for a pair of shoes? Does it give me a foot massage and spongebath while I'm walking?

joyce
12-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I have a sister-in-law that if we buy anything for her kids at Kohl's Department Stores, she will return them. "Oh, my god! It isn't Old Navy or The Gap!"

Shut up.

My friends teenage daughter will not get out of the car if she takes her shopping at some department store that is not expensive. This poor woman is barely getting by. I tell her that if it was my daughter she'd just have to go naked or settle for something I could afford. I guess some people think that expensive clothes impress everyone they meet. Personally I more impressed by the person who gets the good clothes at bargain prices. That's just me though.

melaniehoo
12-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Does it give me a foot massage and spongebath while I'm walking?

Sometimes. :)

melaniehoo
12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
My friends teenage daughter will not get out of the car if she takes her shopping at some department store that is not expensive. This poor woman is barely getting by. I tell her that if it was my daughter she'd just have to go naked or settle for something I could afford. I guess some people think that expensive clothes impress everyone they meet. Personally I more impressed by the person who gets the good clothes at bargain prices. That's just me though.

I am eternally grateful that my mother refused to buy me anything designer while I was growing up. We could afford it but she didn't think it was necessary. I hated it then, but now I thank her because I love rooting through the bargain bin!

Jersey Chick
12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I used to love Kohl's for my daughter, but I've found more and more that their quality is going downhill. She has a few sweaters that have fallen apart after a few washings (and yes, I did follow the instructions because I ruined one that way not too long ago :D). I love Target for the kids because they grow out of it so quickly. It's also pretty durable.

As for me, I'm an Old Navy freakette. I love their jeans. Best. Jeans. Ever.

Shoes, I'll pay for because good shoes will last forever. And same goes for a purse. I have a Coach bag my MIL gave me for my birthday a few years ago and I carry it all the time (for "fancy" occasions, I switch out). It's been rained on, snowed on, and it looks brand new. I just clean and moisturize it once a month.

I buy good sunglasses - I bought a pair of Raybans about 11 years ago and just retired them this summer (everyone decided they were outdated). I don't spend a lot as a rule, but when I do, I get the most out of it.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I purchased a new pair of shoes this weekend for work. They're killing me. I've got blisters on my ankles and need to get some of those pads so I don't walk around like I'm recovering from prostrate surgery. Maybe I should have spent a little more than $55.00?

melaniehoo
12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
If you spent more than $20 they're probably fairly decent shoes. You can also bring them to a cobbler & let them do some stretchy magic on them. It's surpsingly cheap considering how comfortable it makes the shoes.

They're helpful when the soles wear down, too.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 11:43 PM
If you spent more than $20 they're probably fairly decent shoes. You can also bring them to a cobbler & let them do some stretchy magic on them. It's surpsingly cheap considering how comfortable it makes the shoes.

They're helpful when the soles wear down, too.Thanks, I'll look into that this weekend. For the time, I'm just going to purchase some pads. I haven't worn these types of shoes for work in many years. I typically wear snickers.

http://di1.shopping.com/images/di/4e/69/33/644f4b64784646356f454959345f66566a5041-100x100-0-0.jpg

melaniehoo
12-04-2007, 11:47 PM
But don't those melt all over and make a mess?

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 11:50 PM
But don't those melt all over and make a mess?LOL! They're not chocolate.

cray
12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
spooky, you'd look nice in some crocs :)

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 11:56 PM
spooky, you'd look nice in some crocs :)LOL! I work at an animal shelter. I don't think they'd appreciate the humor.

Shadow_Ferret
12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I purchased a new pair of shoes this weekend for work. They're killing me. I've got blisters on my ankles and need to get some of those pads so I don't walk around like I'm recovering from prostrate surgery. Maybe I should have spent a little more than $55.00?
You know what I found? The more expensive the men's shoe, the more quality leather they put it to it, the more it hurts.

Give me a pair of casual shoes any day.

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 12:10 AM
But cheap hurts too sometimes. I bought a pair of inexpensive shoes years ago from Payless and they hurt just as bad. I saved thirty dollars and crawled home after wearing them for a week.

Sarita
12-05-2007, 12:10 AM
I just bought these (http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=PumaUS&category%5Fname=WomensBestSellersFootwear&product%5Fid=18186310&productType=Footwear&mainCategory=Women&shopBy=style&siteid=1), right before my trip to England/Ireland. Best shoes ever! With these babies and a pair of smart wool socks, my feet have never been more comfortable.

I take the middle ground. Gap does good work and most of my clothes come from there, mostly because they fit me so well. I hate shopping and order online. I know that Gap will fit, so I just order from their site and never have to worry about the whole shopping thing. Nice.

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Nice shoes. I may order online from the Gap someday. But don't you take a risk that shoes might not fit properly unless you try them on first?

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Target? You guys are fancy.

I shop at the Dollar store.

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 12:22 AM

I shop at the Dollar store.LOL! Try a different avatar next time and we might believe you. Pretty boy.

Sarita
12-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Nice shoes. I may order online from the Gap someday. But don't you take a risk that shoes might not fit properly unless you try them on first?
Actually, I went to -er- Dick's Sporting Goods to buy these shoes. I picked them out from the flyer, went to try them on, and wore them out of the store.

I meant Gap online for clothes. Shoes online would be tough.

Shadow_Ferret
12-05-2007, 12:53 AM
But cheap hurts too sometimes. I bought a pair of inexpensive shoes years ago from Payless and they hurt just as bad. I saved thirty dollars and crawled home after wearing them for a week.
Well, to be honest, men's "dress" shoes are the equivelent of women's spike heels. They aren't meant to be comfortable and are in fact used by the CIA to torture prisoners.

But all the casual shoes I've bought at payless, the black casual ones that pass for dress shoes, have lasted me years and are comfortable as anything else I've ever worn.

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Well, to be honest, men's "dress" shoes are the equivelent of women's spike heels. They aren't meant to be comfortable and are in fact used by the CIA to torture prisoners.

You haven't found the right shoes then. I had a pair of $129 dress shoes and they are the most comfortable shoes. Light, too. -- I can walk in them for miles.

KTC
12-05-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm a clothes slob. I prefer black...and jeans. I wear black crocs. So what. I spent the 80s being an underground fashion maven...I'm done with it now. It was too tiring being a trendsetter. Beside, I hated it when people would come up to me on the street and ask, "Where did you get that bird cage! I want one. I love it. What a cool colour too! How did you get it around your torso!"

If you think I'm kidding, think again.

Kevin, the guy who smushed snow in Mordechai Richler's son's face because he wouldn't stop asking where the homemade kilt came from. (and touching it! Yikes!)

cray
12-05-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm a clothes slob. I prefer black...and jeans. I wear black crocs. So what. I spent the 80s being an underground fashion maven...I'm done with it now. It was too tiring being a trendsetter. Beside, I hated it when people would come up to me on the street and ask, "Where did you get that bird cage! I want one. I love it. What a cool colour too! How did you get it around your torso!"

If you think I'm kidding, think again.

Kevin, the guy who smushed snow in Mordechai Richler's sons face because he wouldn't stop asking where the homemade kilt came from. (and touching it! Yikes!)

i lurve you more and more every day, freako

KTC
12-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Oh battery....you're too kind. Yes...in Grade 9 I was voted most likely to remain a freak forever.

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Oh battery....you're too kind. Yes...in Grade 9 I was voted most likely to remain a freak forever.

On AW, you are voted the mostly likely to remain a freak forever. Along with cray.

KTC
12-05-2007, 02:04 AM
oh. cool. The most likely vote remains the same. I think that means I'm following through. I'm making it!

maestrowork
12-05-2007, 02:17 AM
"Making it" isn't the right phrase I have in mind. But yeah, you're a freak.

nessam
12-05-2007, 02:25 AM
:roll:
LOL! Try a different avatar next time and we might believe you. Pretty boy.

:Pawing my coach and running far far away from this thread: I'll be at Nordstrom drooling

Devil Ledbetter
12-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Kevin, the guy who smushed snow in Mordechai Richler's son's face because he wouldn't stop asking where the homemade kilt came from. (and touching it! Yikes!)You had me at kilt.:e2faint:

melaniehoo
12-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks, I'll look into that this weekend. For the time, I'm just going to purchase some pads. I haven't worn these types of shoes for work in many years. I typically wear snickers.

LOL! They're not chocolate.

WTF kind of snickers are you talking about?

:)

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
I don't like nuts in my chocolate.

melaniehoo
12-05-2007, 06:30 AM
well I can't help you with that.

kristie911
12-05-2007, 06:45 AM

I shop at the Dollar store.

LOL! Try a different avatar next time and we might believe you. Pretty boy.

My thoughts exactly, Spook.

You're not fooling anyone Ray...you're a clothes snob, just admit it. ;)

kalel32
12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Jeans and Sneakers are the way to go.

SpookyWriter
12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Naked is better. But try convincing Corporate Amerika.

Silver King
12-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I know the discussion of being well shod was discussed earlier, but if you can afford good shoes, or even great ones, it's money well spent, especially if you stand on your feet for extended periods.

Think about it: Your body's weight is carried upon your soles and heels and toes as you stand and walk and run. I'll skimp on other attire but never on footwear.

*almost embarrassed to admit I'll spend a fortune on good shoes while the rest of the wardrobe lapses*

melaniehoo
12-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Fish have feet?

(did I beat Spooky to it?)

Silver King
12-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Fish have feet?
Good point. Those that walk out of the swamp use Ecco brand. ;)

Jersey Chick
12-05-2007, 08:16 AM
One of the most comfy pair of shoes I own are a pair of boy size 5 hiking boots - I have freakishly small feet, so women's boots in my size are hard to find, and tend to look ridiculous (someone once told me they made my feet look like "Charlie Brown" feet).

I had a pair of Sam & Libby sandals with a 4" heel that were actually comfortable. Then my %^&@@ dog chewed the heel off of one. I haven't found a pair that comfortable yet.

JimmyB27
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
You know what I found? The more expensive the men's shoe, the more quality leather they put it to it, the more it hurts.

Give me a pair of casual shoes any day.
Not always, I had some Rohan shoes for work. £60, but it felt like I was walking on soft grass, with pillows wrapped around my feet.