Macy's man.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Why is it that some (not all) women have a higher standard of expection for a man's choice in clothes than the man? I have a new female friend and happened to mention that I went out shopping for new clothes to start my new job. She was quick to mention how Macy's was having this great sale.

Huh? Man. Me. Clothes. Target.

Her. Shopping. Expensive. Macy's.

Now I'm just tickled silly that I can buy designer like clothes for $12.00.

So why should I pay $60.00 for the same thing at Target?

It's not like the other programmers in my group are going to really notice the difference.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
female-symbol-17609.jpg

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm a female and I still don't get it. I work at Nordstrom and watch people buy $300 dollar jeans and $2000 dollar purses all day long. It's insane. Target rules.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Let me check what I got saved in my change box and I'll get back with you tomorrow.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Congratulations. What a sweet match :tongue

I don't at all get the thing with buying expensive clothes and all, but isn't Target getting its low prices by way of underpaid immigrant labor though? I thought I read that somewhere...

The thing I really don't get is the expensive purses. Seriously, if I lose my purse somewhere I want to be freaking out about the credit card and the ID, not the purse.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
The thing I really don't get is the expensive purses. Seriously, if I lose my purse somewhere I want to be freaking out about the credit card and the ID, not the purse.

I feel the same about sunglasses. I know I will lose them before summer.

Oh.. and similar to what Salem says... Man made diamonds are perfectly fine with me.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
try on an armani suit and then try on the local target brand and tell me again that there isnt a difference in quality.

its not (always) about paying a premium, but let's not try and pretend as if there's not a huge difference among designers and stores.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, sure there have been times that I had some nice suits. Those days are, hopefully, behind me forever. But five hundred bucks for a suit, a hundred for shoes, and another hundred for shirt, tie, and kerchief, tie chains, belt, and cufflinks extra, 17 years ago translates into some big bucks now.

Too bad I'm too fat to fit in them now.

I look at shirts with a 100 dollar price tag and say, 'no way'.

Perhaps, as we age, it matters less that we 'look the part' than the fact that we are the part. Those who can, do. Those who can't dress well and become overpaid CEOs.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Bravo has a point.
I used to always buy the cheapest stuff available; I am not in the least into expensive clothing and I am happy with just keeping my body covered with whatever.
However, I discovered that the cheap stuff ends up being more expensive. Some things lose shape after 2 washes and you have to throw them out or give them to charity. Or fade, or just look terrible.
My worst experience comes with buying cheap shoes. Never again! They usually fit badly and hurt, and look like crap after wearing them twice.

I would never pay huge amounts for designer clothing, but there is definitely a middle ground. I now go for the middle ground.

I don't know Target but I guess the UK equivalent is Primark. I do buy some things there, but they are things that don't really matter like socks and caps and pyjamas.

Last edited:

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
x < 3y

x= price of single garment (not shoes)
y= price of food for one day (+/- $10)

this tends to be my going formula, but i do look forward to becoming a rich bastard and demanding all my clothes be made of songbird feathers and giraffe leather.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
However, I discopvered that the cheap stuff ends up being more expensive. Some things lose shape after 2 washes and you have to throw them out or give them to charity. Or fade, or just look terrible.

Yah, there's that. I buy the cheapest stuff I can get that lasts. It's not only the cost of having to buy more and more, it's the hassle.

My worst expertience comes with buying cheap shoes. Neveragain! They usually fit badly and hurt, and look like crap after wearing them twice.

Ohhh yes. IMO shelling out a hundred bucks for shoes that will last 5-7 years and not give you expensive back problems is a big save.

I'm very willing to pay for quality, if I need a thing. Just, not for brand name or decoration so much.

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes, I totally agree that an expensive suit is worth the money if you can afford it. A lot of designer items are. But my fiance mentioned expensive jeans and I had to agree that a lot of those designer jeans are selling for so much just because of the label. They aren't that much nicer than the ones at Target.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Why is it that some (not all) women have a higher standard of expection for a man's choice in clothes than the man? I have a new female friend and happened to mention that I went out shopping for new clothes to start my new job. She was quick to mention how Macy's was having this great sale.

Huh? Man. Me. Clothes. Target.

Her. Shopping. Expensive. Macy's.

Now I'm just tickled silly that I can buy designer like clothes for $12.00.

So why should I pay $60.00 for the same thing at Target?

It's not like the other programmers in my group are going to really notice the difference.

What am I missing here?

There's various factors, quality, look, feel, brand, or just generally because she is fond of shopping there. You never know when something will take your fancy, and if it does sometimes you grab it without having reservations of the price. I know I have, and money has not been an objection or mattered.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I love Target...and I do buy clothes there occasionally but usually just t-shirts or jeans. I'm not into expensive clothes. Or purses. The purse I have now I bought on clearance at Penneys for twelve bucks. :)

Running shoes are the only thing I'll spend decent money on because I can't afford back and knee problems. But even then, I'll wait until I can find good ones on sale. I rarely pay full price for ANYTHING!