PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Ideal House?

Simple Living
12-04-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm a log cabin guy. I'd like to live somewhere very rural, like western Montana or northwestern Wyoming, with lots of space and open skies.

Doing some research online, however, I found this house (http://www.simondale.net/house/) and fell in love. I could totally live here. Of course, if I did, I'd have to utilize this site (http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/)to make the transition complete. And this one (http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/)to find my neighbors.

What's your ideal house and where?

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I was just happy to have a real bed. Nice to dream though.

Simple Living
12-04-2007, 06:52 AM
I was just happy to have a real bed. Nice to dream though.

Dream big and keep moving forward. A real bed is just the beginning for you. I believe you have the ability to accomplish a lot more. I believe people have the dreams they do for a reason. They're meant to do something with them. :Thumbs:

Rolling Thunder
12-04-2007, 07:10 AM
I live in a small ranch style house, about 1200sqft in size. It was built in 1955 and the new neighbors hate it, since they have built houses in the 3500 to 4000sqft range.

I'm happy with mine. It's cheap to heat and cool.

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Dream big and keep moving forward. A real bed is just the beginning for you. I believe you have the ability to accomplish a lot more. I believe people have the dreams they do for a reason. They're meant to do something with them. :Thumbs:Thanks so much for the inspiration. I bought a new pair of shoes this weekend to start my new job. I'm just happy to have a real bed and a new pair of shoes.

Joe270
12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
I bought a new pair of shoes this weekend to start my new job. I'm just happy to have a real bed and a new pair of shoes.

Plus you're livin' in Texas, so ya got that goin' for ya, too, Spooky. Things are definitely lookin' up!

Siddow
12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm addicted to house shopping on www.luxuryrealestate.com. Most of the homes I find there are ideal.

I like the ocean, but am torn between tropical and Northeastern. Meanwhile, I'll just stay put here, five miles from a huge lake that's drying up fast.

JLCwrites
12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I think the type of home is less important to me then the location. I am very suburban and love living in an area that is close to the city life, and close to rural farm land. I also like having friendly neighbors who enjoy getting together for bbqs and poker games.

(BTW Thunder - I enjoy having a ranch home. Mine was made in the late 70s so it needs a little updating, but they just don't build the new ones as solid as this one.)

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
I live in a small ranch style house, about 1200sqft in size. It was built in 1955 and the new neighbors hate it, since they have built houses in the 3500 to 4000sqft range.

I'm happy with mine. It's cheap to heat and cool.Cool local for writing. Can I come live in your basement? I snore. Loudly.

Susie
12-04-2007, 08:06 AM
That's a great log cabin, Simple. After the fiasco we've had with our house problems, an apartment sounds mighty nice right about now.

Salem
12-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Any house that comes with a maid and a chef.:D

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Any house that comes with a maid and a chef.:DRun for president. Of course you also get Dick Chenny's son as a National Security Advisor.

Joe270
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Any house with my family in it is a dream home.

Simple Living
12-04-2007, 11:57 AM
For those of you who say you could live in almost any house, how would you like to try the one I linked to in my original post? I wonder how many people would go for it? I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since I saw it. I'd love to see one.

Joe270
12-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I helped build one when I was 15. I stripped the logs, helped set them, and stuffed all the tarry moss stuff into the seams. This was up in far northern Ontario. Drive up through International Falls, then all the way up through Souix Falls to Souix Lookout, where the road ends. You gotta take a Bearskin Air pontoon plane from there.

I spent a couple months there then. I went back when I was twenty-five for another month, but I wasn't slave labor then.

I still love buckwheat pancakes to this day.

They are great for two, but if you have children, it might not be quite private enough. Not if you want more kids, at least.

Pat~
12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Log cabins are nice, but I prefer Texas hill country style made of stone--especially when covered with snow (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/pb10220/20073snowpawpawsbday005.jpg).

JoeEkaitis
12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2158/1940938627_80072ef4b7_o.jpg

Best of all, you NEVER have to paint it.

aruna
12-04-2007, 06:01 PM
For those of you who say you could live in almost any house, how would you like to try the one I linked to in my original post? I wonder how many people would go for it? I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since I saw it. I'd love to see one.

I would! Immediately! I love it!

The only caveat I have is that I would have to ive alone there. I would not want to live in such a house with my family... neither husband nor kids. That;s a hermit's home, and I have some very hermitlike tendencies!

I could also live in a log cabin or a beach hut. My only stipulation is that I have to be warm.

However, with a family, I need to have home comforts. My dream home with family would be a 5-bedroom, beautiful house with a study for me nd a garden full of nature's delights, and all mod cons.

truelyana
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm a log cabin guy. I'd like to live somewhere very rural, like western Montana or northwestern Wyoming, with lots of space and open skies.

Doing some research online, however, I found this house (http://www.simondale.net/house/) and fell in love. I could totally live here. Of course, if I did, I'd have to utilize this site (http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/)to make the transition complete. And this one (http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/)to find my neighbors.

What's your ideal house and where?

Wow, I love it. This earthy house hut reminds me of the one I had in a past life. (yes it was true, I do remember it) The craft making of the house is so beautiful and worthwhile. My partner wants to live in a similiar hut, but without it's attachment to the ground. I'm happy to live anywhere in this current life. I'm greatly interested in building with natural materials and am fascinated by new techonology at the moment. The re-use of unwanted materials that either go back to landfill or disposable bins should be considered in buildings as well. That's my next step. :D

truelyana
12-04-2007, 06:24 PM

I have already, and would find it easy to live in. It's not somewhere I'd like to live in again. I'd like to invent something new from scratch, and use waste materials that have never been used before to create a very energy efficient house or building and find out what works for humans. Create a masterpiece, and really have a go with it to see what works and what doesn't. I'm talking about large scale here, to build for a town or city.

Bmwhtly
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Something smallish in this city.

But it must have character. Preferrably with a real fireplace and a spiral staircase (just a little one, perhaps.)

And parking.

And nice neighbours.

NeuroFizz
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I go with Joe on this one. My first house was only 988 sq.ft., and my current one is around 3,000 sq.ft. In between, I had three other houses that were progressively larger up to and including the current one. But, they were all homes, and as such perfect for those specific times.

I am very lucky now because I'm in a great neighborhood (extremely cool neighbors with lots of social interaction and lots of kid stuff going on) and I'm minutes from some of the nicest beaches on the East Coast. I'm 2.5 miles from work and only 7 miles from the main campus in a small city that doesn't snow up in the winter (positives and negatives to that one).

JimmyB27
12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Love the hobbit hole, I could definitely live there.

However, my ideal house is probably a boat, so I would never be stuck in one place.

Pat~
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM

I could live in almost any home, and can see loving a log cabin--but I wouldn't necessarily want the one in your picture (though charming)--I'd rather design/build my own. Preferably it'd be in/near a national park in Utah, Colorado, or New Mexico, with tons of trees, a fishing stream, and skiing nearby. (Since we're dreaming...)

kikazaru
12-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Very cool little house. Friends of ours live in an "earth shelter" but it is not so picturesque as that one. It's built into a hill and the front, facing the lake is all windows. In the middle of the house is a sm "courtyardish" room with a sky light. It's heated entirely by a wood stove and their utility bills are almost non existent.

My ideal house used to be something with history - maybe a Victorian with lots of period detail. However now that I have a family and seem to be the only person that not only knows how to clean, but also how to recognize mess when I see it, my ideal house would be vinyl with an over head shower system in every room and with a drain on the floor - I could then just hose it down whenever it was looking like a health hazzard. I think it should also have a very large door where I could come in with a back hoe or something similar, and just move all the accumulated crap (apparently belonging to no one that seems to mysteriously appear daily and doesn't move until I do something about it) and move it right out the door to the curb. A machine like that does take up some room, but then I could just get rid of the vacuum and broom to make space.

What? A girl can dream can't she??

Kikazaru (to borrow from Maryn for a moment) off to check out the price of backhoes...

JoeEkaitis
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
http://pittsburgh.about.com/library/graphics/fallingwater2-lg.jpg

: : s i g h : :

johnnysannie
12-04-2007, 10:15 PM

I'm happy with mine. It's cheap to heat and cool.

I bought a vintage 1960 ranch house earlier this house with not quite 2,000 feet and I absolutely love it. Ours was built by the original contractor for his own family so it has a lot of very nice extra perks. Although I grew up in a ten room brick Victorian, this house is more than roomy enough for my family and I adore our finished basement with laundry room and den. When we were house shopping, we could have bought something a lot newer and a lot more expensive but this was the house that we liked.

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Doing some research online, however, I found this house (http://www.simondale.net/house/) and fell in love.

Who lives in that thing? Hobbits?

I'm perfectly happy in my little cape cod.

Pat~
12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
My hubby's idea of an ideal house (after last night) is one which comes with a lift for hanging Christmas lights.

C.bronco
12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I really like my house. It was built in 1908 and our addition was built in 2007. (It's not completely done yet. I need gutters. And moulding here and there. And the rest of the siding. And a dozen other small unfinished things. Maybe two dozen.)

P.S. I clicked on Simple's links, and I have to say that my "hobbit name" is going to the grave with me.

WendyNYC
12-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm happy with my apartment. It was built in 1928 and has lots of charm, plus decent neighbors and a great staff. And I'm close to Central Park and the Met.

I don't think Simple's house would work for me, but it is very cute.