PDA

View Full Version : Can I politely pester?!

MarkEsq
03-01-2005, 10:43 PM
A couple of weeks ago an agent responded to my emailed query to ask for the first 100 pages of my novel. I duly sent it along but have since received another positive response from an agent who would also like to see the first few chapters. (I know, I am very very lucky!) My question:
Can I email the first agent to ask how long he will take to get back to me? Having been asked to do so, I gave him the right to review the 100 pages exclusively but I would like an idea of when I might hear back. The thing is, though, I don't want to seem demanding right from the first. Any suggestions/advice?

RicMarion
03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Mark,

If the first agent asked for an exclusive look, he should have given you some idea as to a time limit. Usually 30 days - sometimes 6-8 weeks - info is usually on the web site or agent guides.

Congrats on getting 2 bites, though. I would gently pester after 30 days, if you aren't sure how long you gave it to him for.

Sometimes, you can never tell. I had two requests for my entire ms on the same day - sent them both out, but put the wrong cover ltters in each one.

Good way to tip the scales against you.

Hope this helps.

Vomaxx
03-02-2005, 07:33 AM
The first agent asked for an exclusive? This is quite unusual--an exclusive on a partial. Didn't this agent ask for a specific amount of time? If he did not, you should have given him one yourself: maybe 2 weeks (for 100 pages.)

If I were you I'd just tell the first agent you were going to send the other partial out in a week. Exclusives on partials is really bending over too far for agents. They've got enough advantages, IMHO.