Can I politely pester?!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
A couple of weeks ago an agent responded to my emailed query to ask for the first 100 pages of my novel. I duly sent it along but have since received another positive response from an agent who would also like to see the first few chapters. (I know, I am very very lucky!) My question:
Can I email the first agent to ask how long he will take to get back to me? Having been asked to do so, I gave him the right to review the 100 pages exclusively but I would like an idea of when I might hear back. The thing is, though, I don't want to seem demanding right from the first. Any suggestions/advice?

RicMarion

Yes, but.........

Mark,

If the first agent asked for an exclusive look, he should have given you some idea as to a time limit. Usually 30 days - sometimes 6-8 weeks - info is usually on the web site or agent guides.

Congrats on getting 2 bites, though. I would gently pester after 30 days, if you aren't sure how long you gave it to him for.

Sometimes, you can never tell. I had two requests for my entire ms on the same day - sent them both out, but put the wrong cover ltters in each one.

Good way to tip the scales against you.

Hope this helps.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
The first agent asked for an exclusive? This is quite unusual--an exclusive on a partial. Didn't this agent ask for a specific amount of time? If he did not, you should have given him one yourself: maybe 2 weeks (for 100 pages.)

If I were you I'd just tell the first agent you were going to send the other partial out in a week. Exclusives on partials is really bending over too far for agents. They've got enough advantages, IMHO.