$100,000 a pound, it better be good

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
We had the pleasure of being in Tuscany a couple of years ago during peak truffle season. People had little scales they'd use to weigh out truffle shavings like cocaine. They are good. I don't know about $13000/lb good though.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We had the pleasure of being in Tuscany a couple of years ago during peak truffle season. People had little scales they'd use to weigh out truffle shavings like cocaine. They are good. I don't know about $13000/lb good though.

Actually, the $13000 figure was for gold. If you do the math, as the thread title was designed to indicate, it works out to $100,000 a pound for that fungus.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Well, that seems fair. You can't eat gold, after all.

Actually, you can. It has no nutritional value, but flakes of gold leaf are used as decadent edible embellishments at some of the world's most expensive restaurants. Gold is chemically inert, and will just kind of go right on through, unaltered. Kind of like the cheese they used to give us in rations when I was in the Army.

caw

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, the truffles at Wegman's are only $600 a pound. How much better could this one be?

Maryn, who shops at a swanky store